DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what to use to level floor by 10-15mm (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8800-what-use-level-floor-10-15mm.html)

[email protected] May 19th 04 09:09 PM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

TIA

Martin

!^NavFont02F012F0006NGHHHwFDD6

Scott Mills May 19th 04 10:39 PM

wrote in message
I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm.

you serious?

What should I use to level this prior to tiling?

To be honest, I think you'd be better off with a bolster hammer, chisel and
safety specs.

failing that, why not tile where you want to raise it, then... tile over the
lot again...

BigWallop May 19th 04 11:16 PM

wrote in message ...
I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

TIA

Martin

You could use the tile adhesive itself to level the floor by the amount you say. If
you're tiling on to the concrete section the adhesive itself is the ideal choice.

The Natural Philosopher May 20th 04 01:46 AM

wrote:

I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm.

You sre about that? Mine said not LESS than 3mm....

Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

If you can be bothered, use thick beds of tile cement - rapid set mixed
THICK is best - and do it all with levels and strings etc.

I took out up to 30mm this way...

Scott Mills May 20th 04 06:58 PM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm.

You sre about that? Mine said not LESS than 3mm....

Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

If you can be bothered, use thick beds of tile cement - rapid set mixed
THICK is best - and do it all with levels and strings etc.

You could always 'skim' it up with some sand cerment mix - sharp might be
better for this purpose.

[email protected] May 20th 04 08:02 PM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

Err, was a quick look while in Wickes, maybe it is not less than 3mm.

!^NavFont02F00370007NGHHG384CC4

[email protected] May 20th 04 08:02 PM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

Thanks, I didnt realise that it could be used that thick, sounds better
than mortar that someone suggested to me.

!^NavFont02F005E0007NGHHG5F740A

[email protected] May 20th 04 08:02 PM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

Yes I am serious, looked like hard work smashing up the concrete, tiles
on tiles ok but maybe expensive, not as flexible as thick tile adhesive?

!^NavFont02F00770007NGHHG7885AD

N. Thornton May 20th 04 11:51 PM

wrote in message ...
I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

If it were my place I would want to do it properly, not with tile
adhesive that may disintegrate after x years. Parallel strips of wood
fixed to the floor, get them all nice and level. Fill with good mortar
mix, levelling it to the battens. When dry remove battening and fill
that too. But... there are many options.

Regards, NT

stuart noble May 21st 04 08:43 AM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

wrote in message
what mixture would you use? 4 parts soft sand to 1 part cement ?

!^NavFont02F00330006NGHHG{58EE

I'd seal the floor with 1PVA: 4 water and use the same to mix a Readymix
general purpose mortar. Without a high PVA content it will break up at that
sort of thickness.

[email protected] May 21st 04 08:43 AM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

In article , N.
Thornton writes
wrote in message
I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

If it were my place I would want to do it properly, not with tile
adhesive that may disintegrate after x years. Parallel strips of wood
fixed to the floor, get them all nice and level. Fill with good mortar
mix, levelling it to the battens. When dry remove battening and fill
that too. But... there are many options.

Regards, NT

Personally I wouldn't put a sand cement mortar down that thin...

What you can do is use the self levelling material and bulk it out with
sand and use that to bring the floor up to 3-5mm of the finished level
and then use the neat compound to finish off
--
David

[email protected] May 21st 04 09:04 AM

N. Thornton May 21st 04 08:28 PM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

wrote in message ...
In article , N.
Thornton writes
wrote in message
[...]

2:1 should be ok that thin, or even 1:1.5. One can also add fibres for
crack control. I've used plenty of 1:1.5 here. Your suggestion does
sound more purpose made though, so maybe would last better.

Regards, NT

[email protected] May 21st 04 09:16 PM

[...]

My recommendation is what we do for industrial floors so may be a bit
OTT for a utility room as you don't get many forklift trucks in utility
rooms :-)
--
David

[email protected] May 22nd 04 09:04 PM

what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

sorry 2:1 what exactly? sand:cement or sand:leveling compound?

Martin

!^NavFont02F003D0007NGHHG3E62D1