Hugo Nebula

Default Potterton Suprima problems

I'm sure I know what the answer will be before I ask, but..

I have a Potterton Suprima 30 b/f boiler which has an intermittent
firing problem. The boiler does not fire up, either on start or when
heat is demanded. The pump is circulating, but it appears that the
fan which kicks in before the ignition fires doesn't start.

The problem seems to occur in fits and starts; it can be months
between occurrences, but when it happens it happens several times over
a number of days, but not all the time. Normally a press of the Reset
button will fire it up, but over the last few days, it's not always
worked first time.

The PCB was replaced in 1999, when the boiler was a couple of years
old, and the problem didn't re-occur until last year. Looking at it
today, the PCB looked fine to the naked eye (no obvious arcs or dry
solder joints), as did the wiring with the exception of the HT lead to
the ignition, which was ever so slightly frayed. I don't think this
is the problem; the boiler appears to ignite OK, it's the
preliminaries which seem to be the problem.

Any ideas? Is it time to replace the PCB again?
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
Richard Savage

Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

I have a Suprima 100 BF which is nearly 4 years old. Towards the end of
last year it intermittently failed into a 'lock out' condition.
Pressing the reset button would sometimes coax it back into life. At
other times a complete power off for 5 or 10 minutes was needed. I had
my (ex) plumber out to service the boiler and he hadn't a clue about the
intermittent fault.

I removed the PCB and re-soldered all the joints for the connectors and
quite a few other ones that looked a bit dodgy. All has been well
since. I was told (in Plumb Center) that Potterton changed the
manufacturer of Suprima PCBs last year and replaced all PCBs in unsold
boilers.

There is someone who contributes to this NG who's firm IIRC repairs the
PCBs.

HTH Richard

--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

Paul

There is someone who contributes to this NG who's firm IIRC repairs the
PCBs.

HTH Richard

That would be Geoff his website is-
http://www.cetltd.demon.co.uk/

He helped me out with my old potterton lynx boiler packed up, very helpful
chap.

Paul

Alex

I had a similar problem,and that was cured with a new fan from
cetltd,excellent service

Alex

I should have added with the same boiler as you

Potterton Suprima Lockout Roly UK diy 4 July 18th 05 10:20 PM
Potterton Suprima 100 update Richard Savage UK diy 2 April 19th 04 08:35 PM
Potterton Suprima (50) problems. Dave UK diy 5 January 3rd 04 01:33 AM
CH boiler - making droning noise - Potterton Suprima 60 Eric the Red UK diy 2 September 29th 03 03:01 PM
Potterton Suprima 80 Michael UK diy 5 September 25th 03 10:17 PM