Simon

Default Low water pressure

I have recently had a megaflow system fitted but because of very low
mains water pressure the output from taps and showers is very poor. Is
there a solution to this problem?
Ian Stirling

Simon wrote:
I have recently had a megaflow system fitted but because of very low
mains water pressure the output from taps and showers is very poor. Is
there a solution to this problem?

Is the pump (I'm assuming that's what the 'system' is) properly situated?
Christian McArdle

I have recently had a megaflow system fitted but because of very
low mains water pressure the output from taps and showers is very
poor. Is there a solution to this problem?

Check that all stopcocks are working and fully open. Then compare with next
door to see if there is a supply problem in your neighbourhood.

If it is good, consider replacing your old incoming water main with 25mm
MDPE.

If it is bad, you may need to install a large roof tank and a single
impellor pump to pressurise it.

Quite frankly, your plumber should have checked pressure and flow of your
supply before recommending a mains pressure solution.

Christian.

Set Square

Simon wrote:

I have recently had a megaflow system fitted but because of very low
mains water pressure the output from taps and showers is very poor. Is
there a solution to this problem?

There are two factors.

Firstly static pressure, when no water is flowing. If this is low, there
isn't a lot you can do about it - but unless it's *very* low, it probably
isn't the problem.

Secondly - and potentially more importantly - flow rate. This could be being
restricted because of inadequate pipework in your house - or by the pipe
from the common mains to your property being too small.

Have you measured the flow rate at the point where the water supply enters
your property? With a bucket and stopwatch, turn the kitchen tap (or the tap
nearest to the point of entry) full on and time how long it takes to fill
the bucket. Weigh the water (1 litre = 1 Kg) and work out the flow rate in
litres per minute - and post it here.

Those with more detailed knowledge than me will then tell you what it
*needs* to be to make your megaflow system work half decently.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Grunff

Christian McArdle wrote:
I have recently had a megaflow system fitted but because of very
low mains water pressure the output from taps and showers is very
poor. Is there a solution to this problem?

Quite frankly, your plumber should have checked pressure and flow of your
supply before recommending a mains pressure solution.

Must be pretty low pressure. Our 'mains' pressure is about 1.3 bar, and
I've put in a flowmax thermal store. The water delivery from that is so
good that we've done away with the shower pump. Maybe the OP has a poor
flow rate caused by a constriction?

--
Grunff

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
I have recently had a megaflow system fitted but because of very
low mains water pressure the output from taps and showers is very
poor. Is there a solution to this problem?

Quite frankly, your plumber should have checked pressure and flow of

your
supply before recommending a mains pressure solution.

Must be pretty low pressure. Our 'mains' pressure is about 1.3 bar, and
I've put in a flowmax thermal store. The water delivery from that is so
good that we've done away with the shower pump.

You can't use a pump from the mains.

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Must be pretty low pressure. Our 'mains' pressure is about 1.3 bar, and
I've put in a flowmax thermal store. The water delivery from that is so
good that we've done away with the shower pump.

You can't use a pump from the mains.

A. We don't need to, because the flow rate is quite adequate.

B. If I want to, I could use a pump on it. Our 'mains' is a reservoir,
not a water company main (hence 'mains', not mains). So I can do
whatever the hell I want with it. I even have a garden hose without a
non-return valve on it! Ha!

--
Grunff
IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Must be pretty low pressure. Our 'mains' pressure is about 1.3 bar, and
I've put in a flowmax thermal store. The water delivery from that is so
good that we've done away with the shower pump.

You can't use a pump from the mains.

A. We don't need to, because the flow rate is quite adequate.

B. If I want to, I could use a pump on it. Our 'mains' is a reservoir,
not a water company main (hence 'mains', not mains).

Is it your own reservoir?

So I can do
whatever the hell I want with it. I even have a garden hose without a
non-return valve on it! Ha!

Is that how you get your jollies?

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Is it your own reservoir?

Yup. Supplied from our own well, in the middle of our own field.

Is that how you get your jollies?

One of the many ways.

--
Grunff

Owain

"Grunff" wrote
| IMM wrote:
| Is it your own reservoir?
| Yup. Supplied from our own well, in the middle of our own field.

"There may be cows widdling in the water supply, but it's my water and
they're my cows."

Owain

Grunff

Owain wrote:
"Grunff" wrote
| IMM wrote:
| Is it your own reservoir?
| Yup. Supplied from our own well, in the middle of our own field.

"There may be cows widdling in the water supply, but it's my water and
they're my cows."

Eew! No cows.

--
Grunff
Nick Brooks

Grunff wrote:
Owain wrote:

"Grunff" wrote
| IMM wrote:
| Is it your own reservoir?
| Yup. Supplied from our own well, in the middle of our own field.

"There may be cows widdling in the water supply, but it's my water and
they're my cows."

Eew! No cows.

What about badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, frogs, etc?

Grunff

Nick Brooks wrote:

What about badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, frogs, etc?

Yes, loads of them.

--
Grunff
Nick Brooks

Grunff wrote:
Nick Brooks wrote:

What about badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, frogs, etc?

Yes, loads of them.

All "widdling in the water supply" ?

Grunff

Nick Brooks wrote:

All "widdling in the water supply" ?

Yup. Just not cows.

--
Grunff

Owain

"Grunff" wrote
| Nick Brooks wrote:
| All "widdling in the water supply" ?
| Yup. Just not cows.

"There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in the water
supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and
frogs. And what are you complaining about. At least there're no cows."

Owain

Grunff

Owain wrote:

"There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in the water
supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and
frogs. And what are you complaining about. At least there're no cows."

Perfect. Thanks.

--
Grunff
Nick Brooks

Grunff wrote:
Owain wrote:

"There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in the
water
supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes, rabbits,
deer, and
frogs. And what are you complaining about. At least there're no cows."

Perfect. Thanks.

My granparents' house in scotland got it's water supply from a stream
that ran through the garden. It collected in a small pool and then ran
down a pipe to a tank in their loft.

As children we walked upstream to "see where it came from". Finding a
dead sheep in the stream after a few miles put us off drinking water for
a while.

Nick

Nick Brooks

Nick Brooks wrote:
Grunff wrote:

Owain wrote:

"There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in
the water
supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes, rabbits,
deer, and
frogs. And what are you complaining about. At least there're no cows."

Perfect. Thanks.

My granparents' house in scotland got it's water supply from a stream
that ran through the garden. It collected in a small pool and then ran
down a pipe to a tank in their loft.

As children we walked upstream to "see where it came from". Finding a
dead sheep in the stream after a few miles put us off drinking water for
a while.

Nick

And before you ask - no it wasn't their sheep
Grunff

Nick Brooks wrote:

My granparents' house in scotland got it's water supply from a stream
that ran through the garden. It collected in a small pool and then ran
down a pipe to a tank in their loft.

As children we walked upstream to "see where it came from". Finding a
dead sheep in the stream after a few miles put us off drinking water for
a while.

What was that figure about the number of times London tap water is
likely to have passed through someone before it reaches you?

--
Grunff
troubleinstore

Grunff wrote:

Nick Brooks wrote:

My granparents' house in scotland got it's water supply from a stream
that ran through the garden. It collected in a small pool and then ran
down a pipe to a tank in their loft.

As children we walked upstream to "see where it came from". Finding a
dead sheep in the stream after a few miles put us off drinking water
for a while.

What was that figure about the number of times London tap water is
likely to have passed through someone before it reaches you?

Eight times and it isn't just London
--
troubleinstore
www.tuppencechange.co.uk
Craig Graham

troubleinstore wrote:

What was that figure about the number of times London tap water is
likely to have passed through someone before it reaches you?

Eight times and it isn't just London

How's that worked out? Doesn't seem very much if you consider the whole
water cycle and all the people who have ever lived.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/

Ian Stirling

Grunff wrote:
Owain wrote:

"There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in the water
supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and
frogs. And what are you complaining about. At least there're no cows."

Perfect. Thanks.

But what about swans.
Then they're the queens swans widdling in your water supply.
Are you going to stand there and take it?

(technically, swans don't seperate 1 and 2.)

Ian Stirling

Craig Graham wrote:
troubleinstore wrote:

What was that figure about the number of times London tap water is
likely to have passed through someone before it reaches you?

Eight times and it isn't just London

How's that worked out? Doesn't seem very much if you consider the whole
water cycle and all the people who have ever lived.

Ballpark time.
Say there have been 15 billion people alive.
Urine/sweat/... output maybe 8l/day.
Say 3000l/year of water.

3*10^3l/year/person * 100 years * 15*10^9 people = 4.5*10^15l, or
4.5*10^12 tons, or 4500 cubic kilometers.
The ocean has 1.3 billion cubic kilometers, so well under a hundred
thousandth of the ocean could have passed through a human. (not
one particular human)

Grunff

Ian Stirling wrote:

But what about swans.
Then they're the queens swans widdling in your water supply.
Are you going to stand there and take it?

Hmmm, can't say I've seen any around here. I'll cross that one when I
come to it I think.

--
Grunff
Owain

"Ian Stirling" wrote
| Grunff wrote:
| Owain wrote:
| "There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in
| the water supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes,
| rabbits, deer, and frogs. And what are you complaining about. At
| least there're no cows."
| Perfect. Thanks.
| But what about swans.
| Then they're the queens swans widdling in your water supply.

Should add £20,000 on the value of the house if selling to an ardent
monarchist.

Owain

IMM

"Owain" wrote in message
"Ian Stirling" wrote
| Grunff wrote:
| Owain wrote:
| "There may be badgers, foxes, rabbits, deer, and frogs widdling in
| the water supply, but it's my water and they're my badgers, foxes,
| rabbits, deer, and frogs. And what are you complaining about. At
| least there're no cows."
| Perfect. Thanks.
| But what about swans.
| Then they're the queens swans widdling in your water supply.

Should add £20,000 on the value of the house if selling to an ardent
monarchist.

Good! Rip the *******s off.

Hamie

Set Square wrote:
Simon wrote:

[...]

20l/min is quoted by the manufacturer (I looked on the side of mine).
Realistically I think you could get by on 12-15l/min.

Christian McArdle

20l/min is quoted by the manufacturer (I looked on the side of mine).
Realistically I think you could get by on 12-15l/min.

But then, what's the point of having a megaflo? You might as well just save
your cash and get a combi, which is half the price (or less) than a system
boiler/megaflo combination. If your total supply is much less than 30lpm,
you might find it is a waste of money.

Christian.