Richard Savage

Default Cooker Hood and Gas Hob (mains) supply

Can I run power to my cooker hood and gas hob (for ignition) from the
same fused spur (assuming the combined load to be less than the maximum
for the fused spur)?

I'm thinking that the need to isolate the hood from the mains to replace
bulbs, clean the filters or deal with combustion of the actual hood is
not likely to interfere with my use of the hob.

TIA Richard

Owain

"Richard Savage" wrote
| Can I run power to my cooker hood and gas hob (for ignition) from the
| same fused spur (assuming the combined load to be less than the maximum
| for the fused spur)?

Yes, from the load side of the fuse in the FCU. The load of the ignition
sparker and the hood should be well within 3A, so you probably won't need to
fuse down separately.

| I'm thinking that the need to isolate the hood from the mains to replace
| bulbs, clean the filters or deal with combustion of the actual hood is
| not likely to interfere with my use of the hob.

Probably not. (You're expecting your hood to combust?)

Owain

Stuart

On Mon, 10 May 2004 21:23:17 +0100, Richard Savage
wrote:

Can I run power to my cooker hood and gas hob (for ignition) from the
same fused spur (assuming the combined load to be less than the maximum
for the fused spur)?

I'm thinking that the need to isolate the hood from the mains to replace
bulbs, clean the filters or deal with combustion of the actual hood is
not likely to interfere with my use of the hob.

TIA Richard

I cant see any need to isolate the hood from the mains just to change the
filters . Nor for changing the lightbulb-just make sure the switch on the
hood is "off".
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Richard Savage

Stuart wrote:

I cant see any need to isolate the hood from the mains just to change the
filters . Nor for changing the lightbulb-just make sure the switch on the
hood is "off".
Stuart

Nor can I but the installers will not connect the hood direct to the
ring main.

Rgds Richard

Lurch

On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:31:07 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Richard Savage
strung together this:

Stuart wrote:

I cant see any need to isolate the hood from the mains just to change the
filters . Nor for changing the lightbulb-just make sure the switch on the
hood is "off".
Stuart

Nor can I but the installers will not connect the hood direct to the
ring main.

That's because it's what the regs say. Something along the lines of
each fixed appliance shall be served by a DP isolator. Also, as a
cooker hood is usually 3A, and a ring is 32A, there's not much chance
of the MCB blowing until the kitchens on fire.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Richard Savage wrote:
Nor can I but the installers will not connect the hood direct to the
ring main.

Any appliance connected to the ring main needs to be protected by a fuse -
either in a plug or FCU.
It's common to connect cooker hoods to the lighting circuit where no
separate fuse is needed.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

Can I run power to my cooker hood and gas hob (for ignition) from the
same fused spur (assuming the combined load to be less than the maximum
for the fused spur)?

I'm thinking that the need to isolate the hood from the mains to replace
bulbs, clean the filters or deal with combustion of the actual hood is
not likely to interfere with my use of the hob.

TIA Richard

I cant see any need to isolate the hood from the mains just to change the
filters . Nor for changing the lightbulb-just make sure the switch on the
hood is "off".

Appliances with motors have to have separate isolators,
so you can maintain them with no risk of motor starting.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Lurch

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:15:05 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman
strung together this:

In article ,
Richard Savage wrote:
Nor can I but the installers will not connect the hood direct to the
ring main.

Any appliance connected to the ring main needs to be protected by a fuse -
either in a plug or FCU.
It's common to connect cooker hoods to the lighting circuit where no
separate fuse is needed.

So common in fact, that in all my years as an electrician I've never
seen one connected to a lighting circuit.
You still need an isolator though, and if the destructions say 3A fuse
max, a 6\10A MCB won't do, and technically invalidates the warranty.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
So common in fact, that in all my years as an electrician I've never
seen one connected to a lighting circuit.

That's electricians for you - no imagination. In many cases it's easier to
access a lighting circuit than the ring due to the position.

You still need an isolator though, and if the destructions say 3A fuse
max, a 6\10A MCB won't do, and technically invalidates the warranty.

And just how would they know what fuse was fitted?

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lurch

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:35:57 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman
strung together this:

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
So common in fact, that in all my years as an electrician I've never
seen one connected to a lighting circuit.

That's electricians for you - no imagination. In many cases it's easier to
access a lighting circuit than the ring due to the position.

They're better of on the ring, when the bulb blows it doesn't take a
32A MCB out, it more than likely will on a 6A, or with any other minor
fault type condition.

You still need an isolator though, and if the destructions say 3A fuse
max, a 6\10A MCB won't do, and technically invalidates the warranty.

And just how would they know what fuse was fitted?

I did say technically. Although if one of the manufacturers happened
to send an engineer out, then....
And yes, I know it's very unlikely but technically.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
They're better of on the ring, when the bulb blows it doesn't take a
32A MCB out, it more than likely will on a 6A, or with any other minor
fault type condition.

Well, given a lighting circuit has a few bulbs that will blow anyway, I
can't see the problem with one more.

It's only a suggestion if it makes the wiring easier, as it might in some
cases. Not enough to start WW3 over.

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lurch

On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:19:26 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman
strung together this:

Well, given a lighting circuit has a few bulbs that will blow anyway, I
can't see the problem with one more.

True.

It's only a suggestion if it makes the wiring easier, as it might in some
cases. Not enough to start WW3 over.

I think I was justifying my own reasoning really, I'll stick to
putting them on the ring but a lighting cct is a perfectly acceptable
solution also.
There, WW3 avoided!
--

SJW