john

Default power-tools

I noticed in B&Q that the price of power-tools is very very cheap when
at the same time the price of power-tools in any trade shop is a lot
more expensive. Is there a difference? Do the manufactures make low
spec tools for the diy market? They look identical.
Ian Stirling

john wrote:
I noticed in B&Q that the price of power-tools is very very cheap when
at the same time the price of power-tools in any trade shop is a lot
more expensive. Is there a difference? Do the manufactures make low
spec tools for the diy market? They look identical.

B&Q have huge, huge buying power.
They can often go to makers, and almost set their own price, as they
can be ordering tens of thousands of tools if they are promoting
them heavily nationwide.

However, there are lower quality tools out there.

troubleinstore

john wrote:
I noticed in B&Q that the price of power-tools is very very cheap when
at the same time the price of power-tools in any trade shop is a lot
more expensive. Is there a difference? Do the manufactures make low
spec tools for the diy market? They look identical.

I shall probably get shot at or called many names for saying this, but I
prefer, wait for it, Black & Decker power tools.
Over the past few years I think the quality of their products has
increased tremendously.
I have tried Bosch, FERM and some other built to price makes but give me
Black & Decker anytime.
I have just purchased a Scorpion saw, a 18v power drill/hammer
drill/screwdriver and a vac that uses the same 18v battery as the drill.
Earlier in the year I purchased a mains powered drill, mains powered
screwdriver and lawnmower.
For general D I Y jobs I think they are great.
--
troubleinstore
www.tuppencechange.co.uk
John Stumbles

"john" wrote in message
om...
I noticed in B&Q that the price of power-tools is very very cheap when
at the same time the price of power-tools in any trade shop is a lot
more expensive. Is there a difference? Do the manufactures make low
spec tools for the diy market? They look identical.

I understand Ryobi make B&Q's PPPro cordless drills and other bits: the
components of the recently-discontinued (heaven knows why) PPPro 4-pack of
drill/driver + circular saw + jigsaw + torch + 3 batteries + quick-ish
intelligent charger can be found[1] in current Ryobi offerings through
Screwfix & Toolstation. Even at full price of about £150 (it came down to
half that on clearance) it was about the same as the Ryobi-badged drill +
circular saw costs. Of course they could be making stuff with lower-quality
components than they sell under their own name, but I suspect it's the same
bar the badge.

I think the PPPro stuff is a lower-spec range of Ryobi's as I can tell: they
made a 'Site' branded B&Q own-brand a couple of years ago which was much
higher quality.

[1] except the torch

Andy Hall

On Sun, 09 May 2004 21:18:09 +0100, troubleinstore
wrote:

john wrote:
I noticed in B&Q that the price of power-tools is very very cheap when
at the same time the price of power-tools in any trade shop is a lot
more expensive. Is there a difference? Do the manufactures make low
spec tools for the diy market? They look identical.

I shall probably get shot at or called many names for saying this, but I
prefer, wait for it, Black & Decker power tools.

Shock!!!.

Over the past few years I think the quality of their products has
increased tremendously.
I have tried Bosch, FERM and some other built to price makes but give me
Black & Decker anytime.
I have just purchased a Scorpion saw,

Watch out for this one and keep the receipt. I bought one of these
from B&Q not long after they were launched. I thought that it was
well thought out and did a good job until the mechanism jammed.
I returned it. The second one lasted a bit longer until the motor
started smoking - I suspect through a shorted turn or something.
That went back as well and I didn't try a third. B&Q refunded the
money and gave me £15 in vouchers.

Hopefully by now they have fixed these quality problems because for
what it was intended to do - essentially fairly rough cutting - it
wasn't at all bad.

I bought a Bosch Scintilla saw instead which is also a reciprocating
saw and a bit more accurate as well.

a 18v power drill/hammer
drill/screwdriver and a vac that uses the same 18v battery as the drill.
Earlier in the year I purchased a mains powered drill, mains powered
screwdriver and lawnmower.
For general D I Y jobs I think they are great.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
"john" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I looked at the PP Pro £50 semi-angle mains drill B&Q Warehouse sell. It is
called a palm drill. It comes with a drill and bit set and 3 yr guarantee
too. Very solid and robust. If I was buying a mains drill I would go for
this as it is two drills one. It can be used as a normal drill and get in
tight angle spaces. Can't get in real tight spaces like a true angle drill
but still pretty good. The cheapest mains angle drill I have come across is
£112.

GMC make it..
http://tinyurl.com/2qp66

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

I have just purchased a Scorpion saw,

Watch out for this one and keep the receipt. I bought one of these
from B&Q not long after they were launched. I thought that it was
well thought out and did a good job until the mechanism jammed.
I returned it. The second one lasted a bit longer until the motor
started smoking - I suspect through a shorted turn or something.
That went back as well and I didn't try a third. B&Q refunded the
money and gave me £15 in vouchers.

Hopefully by now they have fixed these quality problems because for
what it was intended to do - essentially fairly rough cutting - it
wasn't at all bad.

I was given a scorpion a few years back - reliability seems ok, but I do
find it rather uncomfortable to use. Unlike many reciprocating saws it
does not have the elongated "nose" section you can hold near the blade
which makes getting enough weight behind it difficult. Also the
interlocks require a lot of pressure to disengage, and there is no
trigger lock - so holding it on for a long cut is a pain as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Jim White

I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as'better than Makita?
Thanks
Jim
"john" wrote in message
om...
I noticed in B&Q that the price of power-tools is very very cheap when
at the same time the price of power-tools in any trade shop is a lot
more expensive. Is there a difference? Do the manufactures make low
spec tools for the diy market? They look identical.

john

Many thanks for the comments on power tools. I have just found one
good advantage of a battery-powered drill/driver. When I had to drill
some fixings in brickwork in the evening the battery powered drill is
very very quiet. In fact my neighbours said they had not noticed any
drilling that evening. As a D I Y ` er I have my job to go to in the
day and a lot of home improvement work has to be carried out in the
evening. The drill I used was a Bosch, used without the hammer on, a
little slower but still does the job..
John Rumm

Jim White wrote:

I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.

I have the 4320 - stunning bit of kit (even the joiner I am working with
on my loft conversion was well impressed with it!) It is very solid
(cast rather than pressed steel sole plate), and when used in non
pendulum mode gives an astounding quality of finish that hardly even
needs sanding. Nicely balanced and very smooth with no vibration. With
pendulum full on it can rip through sheets of ply almost as fast as a
circular saw. It transforms what you believe can be achieved with a jigsaw!

does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as'better than Makita?

From what I have seen, they are are probably in the same league - not
better or worse, but generally as good I would say. I only own one
Hitachi tool which is one of their 9" angle grinders. Its very solid and
well made again with dust proof bearings and switch gear, rated for
continuous use and loads of power.

--
Cheers,

John.

N. Thornton

"Jim White" wrote in message ...
I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as good
as'better than Makita?
Thanks
Jim

I dont know if this is any relevance to you, but of all power tools a
jigsaw has to be one of the least useful I find.

Regards, NT
mike

"IMM" wrote in message ...

I looked at the PP Pro £50 semi-angle mains drill B&Q Warehouse sell. It is
called a palm drill. It comes with a drill and bit set and 3 yr guarantee
too. Very solid and robust.

But have you used it?

I bought one when B&Q had 20% off power tools as I had a lot of joists
to drill. It sounds like the 13th Panzer division rolling into town
and the variable speed varies between fast and very fast.

It falls into that category of power tools that's not bad for the
price if you don't expect to use it often or derive much enjoyment
from the job, but I honestly can't imagine it proving to be "very
solid and robust". Kress, it ain't.

If I was buying a mains drill I would go for
this as it is two drills one.

Be grateful you're not buying a mains drill. It just about manages to
be one drill in one.

Mike

It can be used as a normal drill and get in
tight angle spaces. Can't get in real tight spaces like a true angle drill
but still pretty good. The cheapest mains angle drill I have come across is
£112.

GMC make it..
http://tinyurl.com/2qp66

steve

John Rumm wrote in message ...
Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Have an uncle that has a scorpion he is on his second as the first
burnt out but only after along with usual diy work floorboards
worktops chipboard etc etc hacking down a good 40 feet of over grown
privet hedge and several small trees it finally gave up the ghost on
the stump of one of the trees but he did find it had sawed thru 3" of
soil stones etc in the act

Yes it is very uncomfortable to use having as mentioned by John and
trying to use it in super jigsaw mode was even worse. Its one saving
grace tho is the blade (very like tho ones fitted to real swiss army
knives probably the saw i use most always in the pocket :_) )
certainly one of the better ones i have used in recip. saws
Lurch

On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:43:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

So you go around cutting things with it all day for the hell of it?

Where did you get that from, you fat alcoholic buffoon.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:43:46 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

So you go around cutting things with it all day for the hell of it?

Where did you get that from, you fat

Fat?

alcoholic

A lush?

buffoon.

You goy that from Monty Python didn't you?

Lurch

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting thing all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:03:18 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Fat?

Yes, that's what it says. Well done for being able to read.

A lush?

Insert alternative four letter words here

buffoon.

You goy that from Monty Python didn't you?

I did what? Is that like a coi carp?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
geoff

In message , Lurch
writes
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting thing all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?

No, he's perfected it
--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool.

This issue has been discussed in threads numerous times before.

The cheap DIY grade jigsaws do not do an accurate cutting job because
the blade tends to wander due to a poor blade holder and the support
mechanism. A stamped steel baseplate which flexes adds to the
problem.

Hence, people often and mistakenly believe that all jigsaws produce
poor results, which is certainly not the case.

A DIY grade jigsaw may be useful for roughing work if the accuracy is
not too important. However, if a clean edge that only needs a little
sanding is needed, then this is not achievable on the DIY grade
products.

I can get very good results with mine because it does have a good
mechanism and a good cast baseplate as well as an extremely good speed
controller able to operate the saw with correct force at very low
speed.

As a result, I use it quite a lot, but not daily.

You said yours wasn't
because you had an expensive one.

I didn't say that at all. I don't consider that £100-110 or so is
expensive for a jig saw. It's what you have to pay to get one that
does a good and smooth job.

That mean you go around cutting thing all
day just to use it.

I don't need to use a tool all day to justify buying one that does the
required job.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Nick Brooks

Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting thing all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?

I think you mean Intentionally Moronic Muppet

IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours

wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting thing

all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?

Mr Pole,

Bean, do you know what Andy does? Do you booze with him?

IMM

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours

wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting thing

all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?

No, he's perfected it

Oh Maxie, you are at it again. Please don't do the Macarena while in the
Orient. They will think you a total pillock. They even though know that.

IMM

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours

wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting thing

all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?

I think you mean Intentionally Moronic Muppet

Mr Brooks and his brothers is at it too.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool.

This issue has been discussed in threads numerous times before.

The cheap DIY grade jigsaws do not do an accurate cutting job because
the blade tends to wander

snip wandering moronic babble by Andy

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You use your more
because it is top quality. You obviously go around using it for fun all
day.

N. Thornton

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool.

I can get very good results with mine because it does have a good
mechanism and a good cast baseplate as well as an extremely good speed
controller able to operate the saw with correct force at very low
speed.

As a result, I use it quite a lot, but not daily.

In my case there are simply very few apps where a jigsaw is the most
logical choice, quality regardless. I dont suppose I'm the only one to
find this. I think IMM actually has a point in there somewhere Last
time I even thought of using one was over a year ago.

Regards, NT
geoff

In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours

wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting thing

all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?

No, he's perfected it

Oh Maxie, you are at it again. Please don't do the Macarena while in the
Orient. They will think you a total pillock. They even though know that.

You're babbling incoherently again

you'd better go back to your cum dancing

--
geoff
Jim White

Thanks, guys. I reckon I'll prolly get the Makita. Or the Bosch. Unless my
man comes up with a good price for the Atlas Copco. Or the Hitachi.

Sorry about the silly kerfuffle further down, but I don't think I had much
to do with it. ;-)

Jim

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"Jim White" wrote in message

I'm about to buy a new jig-saw and had pretty much settled on the Makita
4340, when I noticed an Hitachi CJ120V in Bradford's.
does anyone have any experience with Hitachi power tools? are they as

good
as'better than Makita?
Thanks
Jim

I dont know if this is any relevance to you, but of all power tools a
jigsaw has to be one of the least useful I find.

Regards, NT

Dave Plowman

In article ,
N. Thornton wrote:
In my case there are simply very few apps where a jigsaw is the most
logical choice, quality regardless. I dont suppose I'm the only one to
find this. I think IMM actually has a point in there somewhere Last
time I even thought of using one was over a year ago.

Mine gets a lot of use. And as Andy says, if you've tried a good one, a
cheap one won't satisfy. One thing I really appreciate with my Bosch one
is the tool less blade change. Called SDS, strangely.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

IMM

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes
On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

The point was that a jig-saw was the least used tool. You said yours

wasn't
because you had an expensive one. That mean you go around cutting

thing
all
day just to use it.

Internationallly Moronic Muppet,

Do you practice being terminally thick?

No, he's perfected it

Oh Maxie, you are at it again. Please don't do the Macarena while in the
Orient. They will think you a total pillock. They even know that.

You're babbling incoherently again

you'd better go back to your cum dancing

Wow.... Maxie, do wear loafers?

Dave Plowman

In article ,
IMM wrote:
snip tripe by Bertie

Be more point if you actually snipped the text when replying. Doubt you
know how, though.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Lurch

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:04:27 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Bean, do you know what Andy does?

Yes, do you?

Do you booze with him?

No, do you?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Nick Brooks

Several replies later Jim wrote:-

Thanks, guys. I reckon I'll prolly get the Makita. Or the Bosch. Unless my
man comes up with a good price for the Atlas Copco. Or the Hitachi.

Jim

So insted of helping him make a decision the group has in fact made it
more difficult :-)

NB

Why 110v power tools? Parish UK diy 63 March 26th 04 10:12 PM
Storage of power tools Peter Bull UK diy 18 January 6th 04 09:48 PM
Fake labelled Power Tools StealthUK UK diy 3 September 12th 03 10:37 PM
FS 240v Professional Power Tools jerrybuilt UK diy 1 August 21st 03 07:21 PM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 01:53 PM