andrewpreece

Default Measuring Carpets

I'm trying to measure up my hallway, stairs and landing for new carpet,
being an untrusting fellow and wary of what a carpet fitter might try and
put over on me! Thing is, all the pieces I need don't fill up a 4m or 5m
wide carpet roll in a way that there isn't a significant amount of wastage
( c. 25% ). I know that I have to allow a bit extra and for pattern matching
etc but even so there is still a significant unused strip of carpet left.

Am I charged for this leftover remnant or will the carpet shop try and
sell it on? I may try and find different carpet in a 3m roll and see if I
can squeeze my needs onto that if I am charged for carpet usage by the
linear yard, instead of by the square yard ( I can get the best usage out of
a 3m roll since I need 2.92 m of width to accomodate the three pieces of
carpet I need ).

Oh, and does anyone have an opinion on nylon carpet for use in high traffic
areas?(versus polyamide or wool mix etc ).

cheers

Andy

Rick

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:59:17 -0000, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

[...]

On staits, you can have *LOTS* of joins, as they get hiden at the back
of each stair, This makes more small bits, and will fit better than
trying it in long chunks.

Rick

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rick wrote:
On staits, you can have *LOTS* of joins, as they get hiden at the back
of each stair, This makes more small bits, and will fit better than
trying it in long chunks.

The beauty of using one piece is that it may be turned to equalise wear -
most occurs right on the front of the tread. But keep spare bits so you
can put the worn bit in the least obtrusive place then add a spare bit
for one step.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Bob Eager

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:59:17 UTC, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

Am I charged for this leftover remnant or will the carpet shop try and
sell it on?

Our carpet supplier always leaves the bits behind, at least the
significantly sized pieces. We keep them for spares, and for odd
applications (e.g. under a paddling pool).

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Simon Stroud

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
[...]

Recently had the landingsx2 and stairsx2 done (plus a few bedrooms). The one
surprising thing was that I ended up with a join on the landing where I
wasn't expecting one.

Because ...

It seems that landings have to be done "the way round" that means that the
bit that drops down over the top step riser has to bend the same way as how
it comes off the roll. In my case I thought that our 5m long landing
(perpendicular to the stairs) would be done along the "length" of the roll
so no join would be needed.

BUT they can't do it like this because when you bend the carpet over the top
step the warp or weft (not sure which is which) "opens up" if it's bent that
way. I think it's called "grinning" in the carpet trade.

So, the landing has to be done the other way, so if you have a long landing
you can't avoid a join.

Ho hum. It made sense after they explained it. But it was a bit of a
surprise after I'd planned out exactly how much carpet I thought was needed
to mm accuracy.

Good luck,
Simon.

andrewpreece

"Simon Stroud" wrote in message

[...]

Diabolical, aint it! You plan ahead and then they hit you with stuff like
that! Seriously, that's very interesting to know. It so happens that my
hallway, landing and stairs are all parallel so I don't think they can
clobber me with that one. I was just reading about carpets on the web, and
one site mentioned that certain carpets or weaves had the property that you
could not see the backing even if you bent the carpet double. Thanks for the
info anyway, I'm starting to refine my estimates in the light of info
provided on this thread,

Andy.

Rod Hewitt

"andrewpreece" wrote in
:

Oh, and does anyone have an opinion on nylon carpet for use in high
traffic areas?(versus polyamide or wool mix etc ).

IIRC, polyamide = nylon. Anyway, if considering normal carpets, I would
probably choose a predominantly wool mix in high traffic areas.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
andrewpreece

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
"andrewpreece" wrote in
:

Oh, and does anyone have an opinion on nylon carpet for use in high
traffic areas?(versus polyamide or wool mix etc ).

IIRC, polyamide = nylon. Anyway, if considering normal carpets, I would
probably choose a predominantly wool mix in high traffic areas.

--
Rod

You are right about polyamide, just found that out myself. I fancy a wool
mix too, just a little wary of wool being expensive. Another little snippet
I found today was that if a fitted carpet cannot be tucked into a skirting
board as usual, or under a brass strip where it enters a room, it is usual
to fold 2 inches of the carpet back underneath ( taking the underlay back 2"
to make room ), and tack it down. This occurs on the edge of my landing
where the carpet meets the balustrade for instance. That's another 2" of
carpet to allow for.

Andy.