Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
andrewpreece

Default Measuring Carpets

I'm trying to measure up my hallway, stairs and landing for new carpet,
being an untrusting fellow and wary of what a carpet fitter might try and
put over on me! Thing is, all the pieces I need don't fill up a 4m or 5m
wide carpet roll in a way that there isn't a significant amount of wastage
( c. 25% ). I know that I have to allow a bit extra and for pattern matching
etc but even so there is still a significant unused strip of carpet left.

Am I charged for this leftover remnant or will the carpet shop try and
sell it on? I may try and find different carpet in a 3m roll and see if I
can squeeze my needs onto that if I am charged for carpet usage by the
linear yard, instead of by the square yard ( I can get the best usage out of
a 3m roll since I need 2.92 m of width to accomodate the three pieces of
carpet I need ).

Oh, and does anyone have an opinion on nylon carpet for use in high traffic
areas?(versus polyamide or wool mix etc ).

cheers

Andy