andrewpreece

Default Measuring Carpets

I'm trying to measure up my hallway, stairs and landing for new carpet,
being an untrusting fellow and wary of what a carpet fitter might try and
put over on me! Thing is, all the pieces I need don't fill up a 4m or 5m
wide carpet roll in a way that there isn't a significant amount of wastage
( c. 25% ). I know that I have to allow a bit extra and for pattern matching
etc but even so there is still a significant unused strip of carpet left.

Am I charged for this leftover remnant or will the carpet shop try and
sell it on? I may try and find different carpet in a 3m roll and see if I
can squeeze my needs onto that if I am charged for carpet usage by the
linear yard, instead of by the square yard ( I can get the best usage out of
a 3m roll since I need 2.92 m of width to accomodate the three pieces of
carpet I need ).

Oh, and does anyone have an opinion on nylon carpet for use in high traffic
areas?(versus polyamide or wool mix etc ).

cheers

Andy