Harvey Van Sickle

Default OT : TV licensing - must I compy?

On 22 Dec 2004, Kalico wrote

For about the past year or so I have been receiving increasingly
threatening letters from the TV licensing people about the fact I
do not have a license.

I'm not too fussed about buying one since I do not use the TV for
anything other than watching the occasional video. Indeed, there
is no TV in the main living room and no aerial lead on the TV that
is upstairs.

You need a licence if you "install *or* use" (my emphasis) equipment
which can receive broadcast programme services. That includes not only
the tuner inside your telly, but also the tuner inside your video; it
would also include a PC card, which is another "tuner".

In other words, if you've *installed* a TV -- or a video machine -- you
need a licence for it. The only exception I've heard of is if you can
demonstratae that its capability for receiving programmes has been
disabled (and probably permanently disabled, by removing the tuner
and turning it into a monitor).

Basically, you need a licence for having the machines in your house --
regardless of whether or not you use them to watch broadcasts.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Grunff

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

You need a licence if you "install *or* use" (my emphasis) equipment
which can receive broadcast programme services. That includes not only
the tuner inside your telly, but also the tuner inside your video; it
would also include a PC card, which is another "tuner".

I don't believe this is true. It is what the TV Licensing often tell
you, but that doesn't make it true.

--
Grunff
Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Grunff wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

You need a licence if you "install *or* use" (my emphasis)
equipment which can receive broadcast programme services. That
includes not only the tuner inside your telly, but also the tuner
inside your video; it would also include a PC card, which is
another "tuner".

I don't believe this is true. It is what the TV Licensing often
tell you, but that doesn't make it true.

Well, that's what it states on the back of the licence itself, in
writing:

You need a TV licence to install or use any equipment to
receive television programme services -- for example a
television set, video recorder, set-top box, PC with a
broadcast card or any other TV receiving equipment.

So if it's an illegal statement, they're doing it in writing -- which
strikes me as unlikely, as I'd have thought it would have been
challenged in court by now.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Grunff

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

Well, that's what it states on the back of the licence itself, in
writing:

You need a TV licence to install or use any equipment to
receive television programme services -- for example a
television set, video recorder, set-top box, PC with a
broadcast card or any other TV receiving equipment.

So if it's an illegal statement, they're doing it in writing -- which
strikes me as unlikely, as I'd have thought it would have been
challenged in court by now.

Now you made me go and look it up!

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nw/index/your_world/communications/television_licences.htm#who

See the section entitled "You do not use your television set or video
recorder to watch or record authorised broadcast programmes".

--
Grunff

I believe the journalist Jonathan Miller is waging a war against the TV
Licencing people.

His website is:
http://www.tvlicensing.biz

The key info you are after is at:
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/info_on_t...sing/index.htm

To summarise:

You do NOT need a TV Licence for owning any kind of TV
receiver/VCR/Satellite receiver/PC with TV-TCard [PC/TV] etc.

When you only use a TV for:
- playing video games
- watch pre-recorded videos [VCR/DVD]*
- closed circuit monitoring [CCD]
- displaying -for example- presentations using your PC
Then "again" you do NOT need a TV licence.

There is loads more advice on the website on dealing with those nasty
licencing people and their threatening letters!

Hope this helps

Al Reynolds

"Grunff" wrote in message
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

Well, that's what it states on the back of the licence itself, in
writing:

You need a TV licence to install or use any equipment to
receive television programme services -- for example a
television set, video recorder, set-top box, PC with a
broadcast card or any other TV receiving equipment. So if it's an
illegal statement, they're doing it in writing -- which strikes me as
unlikely, as I'd have thought it would have been challenged in court by
now.

Now you made me go and look it up!

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nw/index/your_world/communications/television_licences.htm#who

See the section entitled "You do not use your television set or video
recorder to watch or record authorised broadcast programmes".

Interesting.

"... the television set and/or video recorder must be incapable
of receiving all authorised broadcast programmes. This could
be done, for example, by making sure that neither the television
set nor the video recorder are tuned into any channels and
ensuring that they are not connected to an aerial."

I'd be fascinated to know what would happen if the inspectors
came 'round and someone used this line on them. My TVs
aren't tuned into any channels and aren't connected to aerials,
because I have cable boxes. Theoretically I could just hide the
cable boxes and this would make me "acceptable".

Al

Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Grunff wrote

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nw/ind...munications/te
levision_licences.htm#who

See the section entitled "You do not use your television set or
video recorder to watch or record authorised broadcast
programmes".

Yeah, that's the bit -- it states (as I mentioned in my first post)
that you can get around it by showing that the TV is "incapable of
receiving" broadcasts:

However, the television set and/or video recorder must be
incapable of receiving all authorised broadcast programmes.
This could be done, for example, by making sure that neither
the television set nor the video recorder are tuned into any
channels and ensuring that they are not connected to an
aerial.

I take that to mean that it wouldn't be enough just to have no aerial
connection: the TV -- and the video -- cannot even be tuned to pick up
a signal. (FWIW I wouldn't be surprised if -- to qualify under that
exemption -- you had to show that the tuning mechanism was inaccessible
or otherwise disabled in some way.)

--
Cheers, Harvey
Tony Collins

I'm with Harvey on this.

When I read up on this some time ago, it was clear that you could only use a
TV or Video without a licence if it was INCAPABLE of recieving
(permanently).

Just stating that you don't use it to recieve is not enough.

--
Tony Collins

"Harvey Van Sickle" wrote in message
[...]

Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, wrote

I believe the journalist Jonathan Miller is waging a war against
the TV Licencing people.

His website is:
http://www.tvlicensing.biz

The key info you are after is at:
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/info_on_t...sing/index.htm

To summarise:

You do NOT need a TV Licence for owning any kind of TV
receiver/VCR/Satellite receiver/PC with TV-TCard [PC/TV] etc.

When you only use a TV for:
- playing video games
- watch pre-recorded videos [VCR/DVD]*
- closed circuit monitoring [CCD]
- displaying -for example- presentations using your PC
Then "again" you do NOT need a TV licence.

That's true, but I think it's been established that you have to show
that the TV's ability to receive programmes has been disabled -- not
just that you state "I don't use it for that purpose".

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Kalico

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:04:49 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
wrote:
[snip]

Basically, you need a licence for having the machines in your house --
regardless of whether or not you use them to watch broadcasts.

Surely that cannot be the case. What if it was never turned on? I
cannot think you would need a license for just possessing a TV or
video.

I rang the TV peeps and spoke to a guy who must surely be the only
person to work for them who does not have a TV license. He said that
the practicalities of removing the receiving bit could not be expected
from people.

What he said he had done was to shove a wine bottle cork over the
aerial input and tape it round with lots of PVC tape. He said any
inspector would easily conclude that he was not receiving broadcast TV
pictures.

BUT, he had made the declaration that he did not need a TV license and
he suggested I did the same. Of course, one of the reasons for making
SORN declarations compulsory was that if the vehicle is subsequently
found on the road, the owner cannot deny that he knew it should not be
there. That's why I wanted to know if I MUST make a declaration that
I do not need a license, or if the onus is on them to prove things one
way or the other.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Steve Firth wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

Well, that's what it states on the back of the licence itself, in
writing:

You need a TV licence to install or use any equipment to
receive television programme services -- for example a
television set, video recorder, set-top box, PC with a
broadcast card or any other TV receiving equipment.

So if it's an illegal statement, they're doing it in writing --
which strikes me as unlikely, as I'd have thought it would have
been challenged in court by now.

The statement is legal, you're just not reading it correctly. You
do not need a licence to install or use equipment ( such as a TV
or video recorder). You need a licence to install or use any
equipment to receive television programme services.

Spot the difference?

It's not an issue of whether the equipment is capable of receiving
television broadcast, it's one of whether the equipment is used to
receive broadcasts.

Oh, yes; I'm well aware of that. It's why in my first post I
mentioned that people have been exempted from licencing for non-
broadcast use -- but AFAIK only by showing that the receiving
capability had been disabled.

I'd be interested to hear of cases where someone has got off on the
basis that "The equipment is broadcast-ready, but I don't use it for
that purpose"?

My suspicion is that one's word would not be enough to carry the day in
a legal challenge -- some sort of physical evidence of disabled
receiving capability would need to be shown -- but I'm happy to be
proven wrong if a legal precedent can be pointed to.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Grunff

Tony Collins wrote:
I'm with Harvey on this.

When I read up on this some time ago, it was clear that you could only use a
TV or Video without a licence if it was INCAPABLE of recieving
(permanently).

Just stating that you don't use it to recieve is not enough.

What about the line "However, the television set and/or video recorder
must be incapable of receiving all authorised broadcast programmes. This
could be done, for example, by making sure that neither the television
set nor the video recorder are tuned into any channels and ensuring that
they are not connected to an aerial."?

--
Grunff
asdfasdf

Now you made me go and look it up!

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nw/index/your_world/communications/television_licences.htm#who

See the section entitled "You do not use your television set or video
recorder to watch or record authorised broadcast programmes".

--
Grunf

You can find this on the tv licence website. Straight from the horse's
mouth: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/informa...sses.jsp#link5

If you don't use any equipment to receive or record TV programmes, you do
not need a licence. But we still need to hear from you. This is also the
case if you use TV sets for closed circuit monitoring, as a computer monitor
or watching pre-recorded videos only - for example, for training purposes.

You must let us know so that we can update our records to reflect your
status. This will ensure that we do not continue to contact you
unnecessarily.

We may need to confirm your situation by visiting your premises.

Attached Images

Grunff

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

That's true, but I think it's been established that you have to show
that the TV's ability to receive programmes has been disabled -- not
just that you state "I don't use it for that purpose".

How has this been established, and by whom?

--
Grunff
Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Grunff wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

That's true, but I think it's been established that you have to
show that the TV's ability to receive programmes has been
disabled -- not just that you state "I don't use it for that
purpose".

How has this been established, and by whom?

I said "I think" it's been established.

My reason for thinking that, is that if it *had* been established that
a simple declaration of intent satisfied the legal requirement for
"non-receipt of broadcasts", one of two things would have happened:
either it would be a fairly widely-known and simple way of getting
around the licence fee; or (more likely) the law would have been
changed to require evidence.

Like I've said elsethread, I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't
think (there's that word again) that a simple "Take my word for it -- I
never use the thing" would be sufficient to carry the day if one was
prosecuted for not having a licence.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Kalico

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:50:02 -0000, "Tony Collins" reply_to_group
wrote:

I'm with Harvey on this.

When I read up on this some time ago, it was clear that you could only use a
TV or Video without a licence if it was INCAPABLE of recieving
(permanently).

Just stating that you don't use it to recieve is not enough.

Not what the guy at TV licensing told me although you are right that
just 'stating' that you do not use it for broadcasts is not enough.

BUT, he did say that the TV/VCR did not have to have all the
appropriate circuitry removed.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Kalico wrote

reply_to_group wrote:

I'm with Harvey on this.

When I read up on this some time ago, it was clear that you could
only use a TV or Video without a licence if it was INCAPABLE of
recieving (permanently).

Just stating that you don't use it to recieve is not enough.

Not what the guy at TV licensing told me although you are right
that just 'stating' that you do not use it for broadcasts is not
enough.

BUT, he did say that the TV/VCR did not have to have all the
appropriate circuitry removed.

I don't think that's what either of us were saying -- it doesn't have
to be removed, but the equipment's receiving capability *does* have to
be shown to be "disabled" in some way.

Further, I suspect -- although I can't say for certain -- that one
would need to show that the "disablement" was permanent or virtually
permanent, rather than easily re-enabled.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Grunff

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

Like I've said elsethread, I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't
think (there's that word again) that a simple "Take my word for it -- I
never use the thing" would be sufficient to carry the day if one was
prosecuted for not having a licence.

Look at it this way. Say I want to buy a TV to use with my PS2. That's
all I ever want to use it for. Why on earth should I be penalised for
this, by being forced to 'prove' that this is all I want to use it for?
That's like saying that when I buy a kitchen knife I have to prove that
I'm not going to use it to kill anyone!

--
Grunff
Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Grunff wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

Like I've said elsethread, I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I
don't think (there's that word again) that a simple "Take my word
for it -- I never use the thing" would be sufficient to carry the
day if one was prosecuted for not having a licence.

Look at it this way. Say I want to buy a TV to use with my PS2.
That's all I ever want to use it for. Why on earth should I be
penalised for this, by being forced to 'prove' that this is all I
want to use it for? That's like saying that when I buy a kitchen
knife I have to prove that I'm not going to use it to kill anyone!

I agree entirely with you that the "PS2" situation seems unfair; but
as I understand it, the sorry fact of life is that your statement of
intent simply isn't enough to satisfy the legal niceties.

Whether it's fair or not, I think it's been established that one has to
provide some sort of evidence that this is all you are using it for.
And the accepted way of providing that evidence is to show that the
equipment is incapable of being used to view broadcast programmes.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Kalico wrote:
Basically, you need a licence for having the machines in your house --
regardless of whether or not you use them to watch broadcasts.

Surely that cannot be the case. What if it was never turned on? I
cannot think you would need a license for just possessing a TV or
video.

Think a reasonable question would be 'why would you have a TV in a room in
your house if you *never* used it?'

I think in the end the individual magistrate will decide whether you
genuinely *never* watch off air progs, and only videos. And the presence
of an aerial or not doesn't mean much - an indoor type could just be
unplugged and put away.

The chances of someone owning a TV and *never* watching off air are remote.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

My suspicion is that one's word would not be enough to carry the day in
a legal challenge -- some sort of physical evidence of disabled
receiving capability would need to be shown -- but I'm happy to be
proven wrong if a legal precedent can be pointed to.

Given that our legal system still loosly clings to the ideal of
"innocent until proven guilty", one might expect that it would be up to
the authorities to prove that you were using it in violation of the
licensing terms, not that you could if you wanted. cf. You have a car
that can exceed 70 mph, therefore you are nicked for speeding.

--
Cheers,

John.

Kalico

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:05:14 -0000, "asdfasdf" wrote:

snip]

You must let us know so that we can update our records to reflect your
status. This will ensure that we do not continue to contact you
unnecessarily.

We may need to confirm your situation by visiting your premises.

But that does not say it is a criminal offence not to let them know.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:48:50 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
wrote:

Yup -- that's what I said in my first post (it was snipped further down
the thread, so you may not have seen the comment): that the only
exemptions I've heard of have been where people have shown that it
"can't be used to receive broadcasts".

Fine, but if they are saying on their own web site that simply not
having the tuner tuned to any channels or with no antenna is a way of
demonstrating that, then they can hardly say that more needs to be
done afterwards.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Kalico

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:26:11 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
wrote:
[snip]

Further, I suspect -- although I can't say for certain -- that one
would need to show that the "disablement" was permanent or virtually
permanent, rather than easily re-enabled.

Yes, that's what the TV licensing chap said. Hence why he said he had
put half a reel of PVC tape over the antenna input on his TV and VCR.

Seems that using a detector van can pick out which channel is being
viewed. They can pick it up from the aerial on the roof, though I
cannot see it being so accurate as to be able to discern my aerial
from my neighbour's, three storeys up.

But there is virtually no chance of detecting a TV that does not have
the aerial lead connected.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Kalico

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:32:01 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
wrote:

On 22 Dec 2004, Grunff wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

[...]

But if you don't have to let the inspector in without a warrant

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Rob Morley

In article , "Al Reynolds" ajr-
says...

"Grunff" wrote in message
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

[...]

Cable counts as broadcast reception, so you're liable to pay.
Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, John Rumm wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

My suspicion is that one's word would not be enough to carry the
day in a legal challenge -- some sort of physical evidence of
disabled receiving capability would need to be shown -- but I'm
happy to be proven wrong if a legal precedent can be pointed to.

Given that our legal system still loosly clings to the ideal of
"innocent until proven guilty", one might expect that it would be
up to the authorities to prove that you were using it in violation
of the licensing terms, not that you could if you wanted.

One might expect that, but I think one would be expecting too much.

cf. You have a car that can exceed 70 mph, therefore you are nicked
for speeding.

There are, sadly, many cases where one is required to prove that one
didn't do something. (For example, I think it's still the case that if
a car registered in your name is caught by a speed camera, the onus is
on you to prove that you weren't driving it at the time of the offence,
rather than on the police to prove that you *were* driving it.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Kalico wrote
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:32:01 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle
wrote:

-snip-

Whether it's fair or not, I think it's been established that one
has to provide some sort of evidence that this is all you are
using it for. And the accepted way of providing that evidence is
to show that the equipment is incapable of being used to view
broadcast programmes.

But if you don't have to let the inspector in without a warrant

Oh, absolutely. Interestingly, that's even stated in black and white
on the back of the licence:

Our officers may ask to inspect your licence and television
equipmenet at any time, but you do not have to let them into
your home without a search warrant.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Given that our legal system still loosly clings to the ideal of
"innocent until proven guilty", one might expect that it would be up to
the authorities to prove that you were using it in violation of the
licensing terms, not that you could if you wanted. cf. You have a car
that can exceed 70 mph, therefore you are nicked for speeding.

But with a car you have to register it as not in use and off road
otherwise pay the tax.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lobster

Kalico wrote:
For about the past year or so I have been receiving increasingly
threatening letters from the TV licensing people about the fact I do
not have a license.

This topic is an old chestnut in uk.legal (or is it u.l.moderated?) I
gather that if you do ever manage to convince the buggers that you don't
have a TV, the absence of ever-more-threatening letters is only abated
for a relatively brief period, then they assume that the 'status' will
have changed, and the whole sorry saga starts again.

Somebody on u.l. who was well-experienced with dealing with these people
(and who seemed to know what they were talking about) was proferring
the advice that not only should you never invite them in to see the
absence of a TV, but that it was vital not to even speak to them - just
shut the door on them. Have to say I didn't quite see the relevance or
significance of that!

On a different tack... when I was doing a house conversion recently, I
had to set up a completely new address via the local council, who then
registered it with Royal Mail's postcode database. It took no more than
a few weeks before I started getting TV license letters at the address
(despite the fact that it was no more than a building site).

One thing that particularly hacks me off is that they invite you to to
contact them in the event you don't have a TV, but expect you to cover
the cost of writing or phoning. (So I didn't; they went in to the skip
by the acore).

David

John Rumm

Kalico wrote:

But there is virtually no chance of detecting a TV that does not have
the aerial lead connected.

There is a big difference between what can be done, and what actualy is.
Go and do a web search for "Tempest enclosures" - i.e. the sort of kit
used to keep spooks from evesdropping on your video / computer screens etc.

The linescan output, and that of the local oscilators in a typical TV
demodulating circuit are all easily detected with the right kit. Not
only that, but the nature of the signals makes them quite conspicous.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Wade

John Rumm wrote:

But there is virtually no chance of detecting a TV that does not have
the aerial lead connected.

FSVO "no" such as "quite a high" :-). AIUI the detector vans have been
/ are being replaced by hand-held TV detectors, the operating principle
of which seems to be a closely guarded secret in the Beeb - but BBC R&D
at Kingswood had a hand in the development, so it could be something
quite advanced.

The linescan output, and that of the local oscilators in a typical TV
demodulating circuit are all easily detected with the right kit. Not
only that, but the nature of the signals makes them quite conspicous.

Line scan was used by the original detectors[1] in the 50s, replaced by
LO radiation in the later vans. If they've gone back to line scan
'radiation' (pedants read "induction field") it might make it quite
harder to find non-CRT displays, which are becoming very common.

http://www.jifvik.org/tv/ also makes interesting reading on the subject
generally.

[1] "Detector: Post Office official equipped with clever apparatus which
responds to the absence of licence." M. G. Scroggie (writing as
'Cathode Ray') in Wireless World in 1950-something.

--
Andy
John Rumm

Rob Morley wrote:

As the registered keeper, you are responsible for the car - if it
wasn't you driving you should know who was.

And also in this case, there *is* proof that an offence was commited.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Burns

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

You need a licence if you "install *or* use" (my emphasis)
equipment which can receive broadcast programme services.

But by being detuned and without an aerial lead it *cannot* receive
broadcast programme services!
Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Dec 2004, Andy Burns wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

You need a licence if you "install *or* use" (my emphasis)
equipment which can receive broadcast programme services.

But by being detuned and without an aerial lead it *cannot* receive
broadcast programme services!

I did, in fact, acknowledge that in the paragraph which everybody seems
to have snipped from my original post:

In other words, if you've *installed* a TV -- or a video
machine -- you need a licence for it. The only exception
I've heard of is if you can demonstratae that its capability
for receiving programmes has been disabled (and probably
permanently disabled, by removing the tuner and turning it
into a monitor).

I still suspect that simple de-tuning and not connecting an aerial
would be regularly challenged by the licencing people -- "Our officers
would like to check that your untuned TV receiver has remained
untuned". So the easiest way to "prove" disablement would be to
permanently disable the tuner in some way.

--
Cheers,
Harvey