:::Jerry::::

salt
black, white and cayenne peppers
celery salt
garlic powder
parsley flakes
brown sugar
1 teaspoon sage
2 onions
6 cloves garlic
bunch green onions, chopped

Cut the children?s butts and the beef roast into pieces
that will fit in the grinder.
Run the meat through using a 3/16 grinding plate.
Add garlic, onions and seasoning then mix well.
Add just enough water for a smooth consistency, then mix again.
Form the sausage mixture into patties or stuff into natural casings.

Stillborn Stew

By definition, this meat cannot be had altogether fresh,
but have the lifeless unfortunate available immediately after delivery,
or use high quality beef or pork roasts (it is cheaper and better to
cut up a whole roast than to buy stew meat).

1 stillbirth, de-boned and cubed
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 large onions
bell pepper
celery
garlic
½ cup red wine
3 Irish potatoes
2 large carrots

This is a simple classic stew that makes natural gravy,
thus it does not have to be thickened.
Brown the meat quickly in very hot oil, remove and set aside.
Brown the onions, celery, pepper and garlic.
De-glaze with wine, return meat to the pan and season well.
Stew on low fire adding small amounts of water and
seasoning as necessary.
After at least half an hour

Huge

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a
well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)
2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible)
Olive oil
Green onions
Salt
pepper
cornstarch
neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine)
garlic
parsley
fresh cracked black pepper

Season and sauté the cutlets in olive oil till golden brown, remove.
Add the garlic and onions and cook down a bit.
Add some lemon juice and some zest, then de-glaze with stock.
Add a little cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) to the sauce.
You are just about there, Pour the sauce over the cutlets,
top with parsley, lemon slices and cracked pepper.
Serve with spinach salad, macaroni and cheese (homemade) and iced tea...

Spaghetti with Real Italian Meatballs

If you don?t have an expendable bambino on hand,
you can use a pound of ground pork instead.
The secret to great meatballs, is to use very lean meat.

1 lb. ground flesh; human or pork
3 lb. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions
7 - 12 cloves garlic
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ cup milk, 2 eggs
Oregano
basil
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning, etc.
Tomato gravy (see index)
Fresh or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats

Michael Mcneil

"Kalico" wrote in message

TV licensing - must I compy

No, that's why we have prisons and stuff. Now for goodness sake show the
buggers a photocopy of the last lisence you bought to go with the last
repeats you saw and bury this bloody thread out in the snow somewhere!

raden

In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:44:33 GMT, raden strung
together this:

I haven't managed to read all posts thoroughly but the TV gestapo send
you letters if you buy a TV, not if you have one in the house. So, if
you buy a TV you have to fill out your details on a form, then they
st6art sending you letters to apply for a TV licence.

Absolutely not true

I think you'll find it is actually.

Well I'm telling you from personal experience, having never purchased
any kind of receiving equipment at my factory, and being continually
pestered by them, that you're wrong

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:27:24 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Lurch
writes
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:44:33 GMT, raden strung
together this:

I haven't managed to read all posts thoroughly but the TV gestapo send
you letters if you buy a TV, not if you have one in the house. So, if
you buy a TV you have to fill out your details on a form, then they
st6art sending you letters to apply for a TV licence.

Absolutely not true

I think you'll find it is actually.

Well I'm telling you from personal experience, having never purchased
any kind of receiving equipment at my factory, and being continually
pestered by them, that you're wrong

Perhaps they use the postcode database as well.?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Lurch

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:27:24 GMT, raden strung
together this:

Well I'm telling you from personal experience, having never purchased
any kind of receiving equipment at my factory, and being continually
pestered by them, that you're wrong

Well, I can tell you that I have never had a TV licensing letter in my
life, until I bought a Hauppauge MVP online and since then I've been
bombarded with letters.
There was a thread on uk.tech.digital-tv about this and I'm not the
only one.
Obviously they do, and don't, depending on something or other,
probably some random disorganisation.
--

SJW
roger

The message
from Lurch contains these words:

Well I'm telling you from personal experience, having never purchased
any kind of receiving equipment at my factory, and being continually
pestered by them, that you're wrong

Well, I can tell you that I have never had a TV licensing letter in my
life, until I bought a Hauppauge MVP online and since then I've been
bombarded with letters.
There was a thread on uk.tech.digital-tv about this and I'm not the
only one.
Obviously they do, and don't, depending on something or other,
probably some random disorganisation.

I think you are both right.

Suppliers have had to report purchasers for yonks. Back in 1977 when I
was working in Walsall we bought a TV as a retirement present for
someone who had not previously had a TV. Unfortunately the person who
actually made the purchase gave the future recipients name to the store
and she turned up at work a few days later totally mystified as why she
had received an instruction to buy a TV licence immediately. Frantic
attempts to persuade the issuing office to hold off for the few weeks
till Lil actually retired where not entirely successful but ISTR that we
did manage to keep the gift a secret until presentation.

The following year when I moved to an obscure address in Yorkshire I
became involved in a saga that lasted off and on long enough for me to
build up a collection of warning letters well into double figures.

I think the problem originated with my predecessor who had at least 2
postcodes in use. The correct address was of the form house, parish,
town, etc (I said it was obscure) while the incorrect one had an
additional line relating initially to an adjacent block of houses but
somewhere along the line someone (presumably the TVites) managed to
translate that into a nearby road with a different postcode placing my
house in an imaginary position some half mile distant.

I can't remember the exact time scale but ISTR that the warning letters
came at regular intervals, perhaps every 6 months or a year. The first
was returned with a polite note pointing out their mistake, the second
with a rude note and the 3rd liberally annotated with basic anglo-saxon.
After that I didn't bother. The letters were kept but but I didn't
bother until notes started appearing in my letterbox. More basic
anglo-saxon followed and after (I think) 3 notes they stopped coming.
Why I haven't a clue. Having found my house they couldn't have failed to
see the aerial attached to the chimney and anyone dumb enough not to
have noticed that house was off a totally different road would not have
the nous to check their database to find that I had had a licence since
1978.

But perhaps I underestimated them and they did eventually twig in which
case they probably had the last laugh. Anyway it was about that time
that I started to receive other mail with bogus address on. Seems the
Royal Mail were making money out of an address database and a trusted
source (their words) had told them that my address had been recorded
wrongly. It took a considerable effort to persuade the dumbo at the
Royal Mail that his trusted source had been even dumber than he was.
There was even a slight bonus in this for me as my address is now
recorded with a street name which the voters list denys me as the street
is not actually in the same parish as my house.

I still occasionally get mail addressed to the bogus address. I don't
however recall a TV reminder for the best part of 10 years. I must ask
the postman sometime how it is I actually get these letters given that
neither the road nor the postcode are correct.

--
Roger
John Rumm

roger wrote:

Suppliers have had to report purchasers for yonks. Back in 1977 when I

A few years ago I bought a DVD player for my SIL at a local Tesco. They
insisted that I *had* to fill in a form with my name and address on it.
It was fairly obvious from the form that it was for TV license
reporting. I attempted to explain to them that a DVD player was not able
to receive TV transmission and hence there was absolutely no
circumstance that it could need a license. They were having none of
it... Since I needed the unit there and then, and it was past closing
time in most shops, I gave them an address in then end, and they were
happy. Just as well they did not read too carefully what I wrote. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Mawson

"Huge" wrote in message
John Rumm writes:
roger wrote:

Suppliers have had to report purchasers for yonks. Back in 1977

when I

A few years ago I bought a DVD player for my SIL at a local Tesco.

They
insisted that I *had* to fill in a form with my name and address on

it.
It was fairly obvious from the form that it was for TV license
reporting. I attempted to explain to them that a DVD player was not

able
to receive TV transmission and hence there was absolutely no
circumstance that it could need a license. They were having none of
it... Since I needed the unit there and then, and it was past

closing
time in most shops, I gave them an address in then end, and they

were
happy. Just as well they did not read too carefully what I wrote.

;-)

The last time I bought a TV (in John Lewis) I refused point blank to

fill
out the TVLRO form, pointing out that I have a TV license. The droid

on
the till did not press the point.

I bought a monitor from PC World a year ago and they insisted on an
address - so I gave them the Labour Party in Millbank Towers SW1 ! The
'highly trained member of staff' on the till never batted an eyelid
!!!

AWEM

:::Jerry::::

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

snip

I bought a monitor from PC World a year ago and they insisted on an
address - so I gave them the Labour Party in Millbank Towers SW1 ! The
'highly trained member of staff' on the till never batted an eyelid
!!!

But who are the real fools, the members of staff or the customers.....
--
Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

John Rumm

joedoe wrote:

I wonder if the person, or droid as you so cleverly described the
creature who served you, is also such a 'sad' thing as to be
spending their Christmas posting stupid, self-congratulatory messages
on Usenet ?

So which branch of Waitrose do you work for then?

--
Cheers,

John.

Rob Morley

In article , "Andrew Mawson"
says...

"Huge" wrote in message
John Rumm writes:
roger wrote:

[...]

When I bought a DVD player in ASDA a while ago the customer services
person asked for my details - I explained that the information was
only required for equipment that receives broadcasts, but gave her my
address anyway. I expect management either doesn't quite understand
the requirements, or has decided it's easier to deal with all TV-
related appliances in the same way. Staff generally only do what
management tells them to.
joedoe

"Birds of a feather flock together"

Try to work that one out 'John Rumm'

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:47:11 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

joedoe wrote:

I wonder if the person, or droid as you so cleverly described the
creature who served you, is also such a 'sad' thing as to be
spending their Christmas posting stupid, self-congratulatory messages
on Usenet ?

So which branch of Waitrose do you work for then?

raden

In message , joedoe
writes

"Birds of a feather flock together"

Try to work that one out 'John Rumm'

And please don't top post

wrote:

joedoe wrote:

I wonder if the person, or droid as you so cleverly described the
creature who served you, is also such a 'sad' thing as to be
spending their Christmas posting stupid, self-congratulatory messages
on Usenet ?

So which branch of Waitrose do you work for then?

--
geoff

raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:13:30 UTC, raden wrote:

I understand that a TV run from batteries is exempt (well it used to be)

Not exactly. There is a provision for televisions used (inter alia) by
students living away from home, and (I believe) caravanners.

I'm pretty sure (from memory) that the batteries have to be 'internal'.

Also (more importantly) that this relates only to being able to use a
'base' licence to cover the portable set in question, so there must be a
TV 'back home' with a real licence.

So does my son, away at Uni, need a license for his tv in halls ?

--
geoff
Stefek Zaba

raden wrote:

So does my son, away at Uni, need a license for his tv in halls ?

Yes, assuming he has his "own" room (separate-lock-on-the-door is
indicative, "real" criterion is the tenancy agreement: if you're a
shared student house where all of you are named on one joint tenancy
agreement, you're a single household and need just the one licence for
the whole house; if the rooms are let separately, with each person
having their own tenancy agreement (or similar arrangement with the Uni
authorities), you need your own licence if you watch any TV.

That's wot it sez on the TV licensing website, anyway!

HTH - Stefek

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Bob Eager" writes:
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:12:22 UTC, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Not exactly. There is a provision for televisions used (inter alia) by
students living away from home, and (I believe) caravanners.

The "student" exemption was withdrawn a good while ago (20 years back?)

Sorry, what I meant was that students can only use the 'batteries'
exemption - I know students who do.

I'm pretty sure (from memory) that the batteries have to be 'internal'.

The wording is "Use, by the persons referred to overleaf, of a
television receiver anywhere, providing it is powered only by
internal batteries". It might be argued that this would only
apply if the licence was in the student's name at home, which
wouldn't be a problem unless you had more than one child wanting
to make use of this provision at the same time.

Another factor which might cover the set at Uni is if the hall has
a licence and the hall provides meals. When I was in a hall of
residence, I wrote asking what licences we needed. The answer was
that a licence was required for each 'family unit' in a multiple
occupancy premise, and a 'family unit' was defined as a group of
people who would normally eat at least one meal a day together,
which covered all 420 people in my hall as it had a refectory
providing 2 meals/day all inclusive in the charges, and no
self-catering facilities. OTOH, a self-catering hall would not be
covered by this.

However, it seemed that each time anyone asked TV Licensing what
the rules were, they got a different answer, so don't assume this
still holds true today.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Bob Eager

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:41:12 UTC, raden wrote:

Also (more importantly) that this relates only to being able to use a
'base' licence to cover the portable set in question, so there must be a
TV 'back home' with a real licence.

So does my son, away at Uni, need a license for his tv in halls ?

Yes, unless it runs solely from internal batteries.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Derek *

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:41:12 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:13:30 UTC, raden wrote:

I understand that a TV run from batteries is exempt (well it used to be)

Not exactly. There is a provision for televisions used (inter alia) by
students living away from home, and (I believe) caravanners.

I'm pretty sure (from memory) that the batteries have to be 'internal'.

Also (more importantly) that this relates only to being able to use a
'base' licence to cover the portable set in question, so there must be a
TV 'back home' with a real licence.

All the above is correct.

So does my son, away at Uni, need a license for his tv in halls ?

If it's an ordinary mains telly, and if he's living in a place where he
has an individual dwelling, IE room in halls, or room in a shared
student house where he has a seperate tenancy agreement with the
landlord all of his own... YES!

If a number of them share one single tenancy, they can share a licence.

I took my daughter to uni and the woman in charge of the halls said she
was letting 500 rooms that day. That amounts to over £50,000 in TV
licenses. The Uni overall has about 15,000 students that is about
£1,500,000 in TV licenses. Scandalous, bearing in mind when my daughter
lived at home we had 8 TV sets on one licence completely legally.

DG

raden

In message , Stefek Zaba
writes
raden wrote:

So does my son, away at Uni, need a license for his tv in halls ?

Yes, assuming he has his "own" room (separate-lock-on-the-door is
indicative, "real" criterion is the tenancy agreement: if you're a
shared student house where all of you are named on one joint tenancy
agreement, you're a single household and need just the one licence for
the whole house; if the rooms are let separately, with each person
having their own tenancy agreement (or similar arrangement with the Uni
authorities), you need your own licence if you watch any TV.

That's wot it sez on the TV licensing website, anyway!

Glad I made him get one then

--
geoff
Stefek Zaba

Derek * wrote:

I took my daughter to uni and the woman in charge of the halls said she
was letting 500 rooms that day. That amounts to over £50,000 in TV
licenses. The Uni overall has about 15,000 students that is about
£1,500,000 in TV licenses. Scandalous, bearing in mind when my daughter
lived at home we had 8 TV sets on one licence completely legally.

Scanda-nothing, from where I sit. When I Were A Lad, I knew exactually
one pair of students - emulating a Darby-n-Joan couple, her cooking his
meals every day, in her pick slippers (i kid you not) - who kept a TV in
their room. The rest of us piled into the nearest common room, bar, or
pub on those utterly infrequent occasions when there was something
earth-shattering going on; the ones with the incomprehensible-to-Stefek
sporting addiction did this a tad more often than us normal types; the
absence of a TV made najjer-all difference to the quality of social
life, amount of beer and whiskey taken on board, flings and romances
suitable and unsuitable, and late-night essay-writing on the 42nd day of
a 6-week deadline.

The idea that every one of the 15,000 students you mention would want
their own TV as part of their basic lifestyle paints a bizarrely dismal,
atomised, isolated picture of student life that's unrelated either to my
experience or the one lived by my older kids' year-or-two-older
already-at-Uni mates. When she starts in September, I'm fully expecting
to shell out for a desktop iMac or iBook, and the CD/radio thang in her
room will doubtless travel with her; but I can't imagine she'll have the
slightest inclination to take a TV. Mind you, ours are deprived kids -
in the alleged minority of kids who don't have an idiotbox in their
bedrooms...

Owain

"Stefek Zaba" wrote
| Scanda-nothing, from where I sit. When I Were A Lad, I knew
| exactually one pair of students - ... - who kept a TV in
| their room.

I knew two people, and one of those was because the TV was primarily used as
a monitor for the BBC Micro. Both TVs were black-and-white, for which the
licence is about £35.

| .. the absence of a TV made najjer-all difference to the quality of
| social life, amount of beer and whiskey taken on board, flings and
| romances suitable and unsuitable,

the absence of TV probably increased all that :-)

Owain

John Rumm

Owain wrote:

| .. the absence of a TV made najjer-all difference to the quality of
| social life, amount of beer and whiskey taken on board, flings and
| romances suitable and unsuitable,

the absence of TV probably increased all that :-)

sounds like a positive incentive to not have one then ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , joedoe
wrote:

"Try to understand the
significance of

Mike

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:47:09 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
strung together this:

Then, presumably it would still be in it's wrappings, not to mention the
fact that you would have a receipt showing that you had only just bought

the
set....

I haven't managed to read all posts thoroughly but the TV gestapo send
you letters if you buy a TV, not if you have one in the house. So, if
you buy a TV you have to fill out your details on a form, then they
st6art sending you letters to apply for a TV licence.

Absolutely not true

Afraid it is - or at least was. Remember all sorts of complaints in the
trade rags about the paperwork this was creating. Their version of Part P
:-)

joedoe

100,000 + people wiped out and the most active subject in the UK DIY
NG is "how to dodge paying a small tax."

And, if we can combine this with making. or more generally repeating,
cheap, sneering, stupid, comments about others, in order to
demonstrate our superiority, so much the better.

But perhaps some of the money which you save will have been donated to
the appeal ? HAHAHA

raden

In message , Mike
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:47:09 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
strung together this:

Then, presumably it would still be in it's wrappings, not to mention the
fact that you would have a receipt showing that you had only just bought

the
set....

I haven't managed to read all posts thoroughly but the TV gestapo send
you letters if you buy a TV, not if you have one in the house. So, if
you buy a TV you have to fill out your details on a form, then they
st6art sending you letters to apply for a TV licence.

Absolutely not true

Afraid it is - or at least was. Remember all sorts of complaints in the
trade rags about the paperwork this was creating. Their version of Part P
:-)

T'isn't, t'isn't t'isn't

See my previous post

Now I want everyone to be good and do something else instead of DIY

I'm off to Liege for a few days tomorrow

--
geoff
Harvey Van Sickle

On 29 Dec 2004, raden wrote
In message , Mike
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes

I haven't managed to read all posts thoroughly but the TV
gestapo send you letters if you buy a TV, not if you have one
in the house. So, if you buy a TV you have to fill out your
details on a form, then they st6art sending you letters to
apply for a TV licence.

Absolutely not true

Afraid it is - or at least was. Remember all sorts of complaints
in the trade rags about the paperwork this was creating. Their
version of Part P
-)

T'isn't, t'isn't t'isn't

When we bought a DVD recorder just prior to Christmas, and asked why
the shop wanted our address, we were told it was "for the TV licensing
people".

Guess they were lying.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
raden

In message , joedoe
writes
100,000 + people wiped out and the most active subject in the UK DIY
NG is "how to dodge paying a small tax."

Well, some of us elsewhere are talking about sponsoring a village

Of course, the major problem at the moment is finding one to sponsor

.... and did anybody see Changing Rooms last night?

I think the BBC should have pulled it

--
geoff

Frank Erskine

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:10:45 +0000 (UTC), joedoe wrote:

100,000 + people wiped out and the most active subject in the UK DIY
NG is "how to dodge paying a small tax."

Agreed.

Actually it isn't a tax - it's only payable if you wish to receive
broadcast television, which DOESN'T mean everybody in the UK.

TV nowadays isn't some sort of automatic public service, contrary to
50s ideas of service to the public.

--
Frank Erskine

raden

In message , Harvey Van Sickle
writes
On 29 Dec 2004, raden wrote
In message , Mike
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes

I haven't managed to read all posts thoroughly but the TV
gestapo send you letters if you buy a TV, not if you have one
in the house. So, if you buy a TV you have to fill out your
details on a form, then they st6art sending you letters to
apply for a TV licence.

Absolutely not true

Afraid it is - or at least was. Remember all sorts of complaints
in the trade rags about the paperwork this was creating. Their
version of Part P
-)

T'isn't, t'isn't t'isn't

When we bought a DVD recorder just prior to Christmas, and asked why
the shop wanted our address, we were told it was "for the TV licensing
people".

Guess they were lying.

If you actually read the sub thread, you'll see that you ONLY get
letters if you buy an appliance. I replied to the contrary

Do keep up at the back there

--
geoff
Owain

"joedoe" wrote
| 100,000 + people wiped out and the most active subject in
| the UK DIY NG is "how to dodge paying a small tax."

Well, this is *UK* diy. I don't recollect much discussion of the Cornish
floods, which would at least have been on topic.

| But perhaps some of the money which you save will have been
| donated to the appeal ? HAHAHA

Having done 12 years as an Oxfam volunteer I think I've done my bit.

Owain

Lurch

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:10:45 +0000 (UTC), joedoe strung
together this:

100,000 + people wiped out and the most active subject in the UK DIY
NG is "how to dodge paying a small tax."

A thread to which to which you've just contributed several times you
thick ****. Now **** off and stop being a uk.d-i-y dopey ****.

*plonk*

(Getting fed up of doing that recently, usenet has gone totally
downhill).
--

SJW
Mike Harrison

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:20:36 GMT, Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

On 29 Dec 2004, raden wrote
In message , Mike
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Lurch
writes

I haven't managed to read all posts thoroughly but the TV
gestapo send you letters if you buy a TV, not if you have one
in the house. So, if you buy a TV you have to fill out your
details on a form, then they st6art sending you letters to
apply for a TV licence.

Absolutely not true

Afraid it is - or at least was. Remember all sorts of complaints
in the trade rags about the paperwork this was creating. Their
version of Part P
-)

T'isn't, t'isn't t'isn't

When we bought a DVD recorder just prior to Christmas, and asked why
the shop wanted our address, we were told it was "for the TV licensing
people".

Guess they were lying.

It it illegal to give them a false adddress?

Dave

wrote:

It it illegal to give them a false adddress?

Dunno, but if you gave the address that your were standing in, would that be
illegal :-)

Dave