Derek *

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:41:12 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:13:30 UTC, raden wrote:

I understand that a TV run from batteries is exempt (well it used to be)

Not exactly. There is a provision for televisions used (inter alia) by
students living away from home, and (I believe) caravanners.

I'm pretty sure (from memory) that the batteries have to be 'internal'.

Also (more importantly) that this relates only to being able to use a
'base' licence to cover the portable set in question, so there must be a
TV 'back home' with a real licence.

All the above is correct.

So does my son, away at Uni, need a license for his tv in halls ?

If it's an ordinary mains telly, and if he's living in a place where he
has an individual dwelling, IE room in halls, or room in a shared
student house where he has a seperate tenancy agreement with the
landlord all of his own... YES!

If a number of them share one single tenancy, they can share a licence.

I took my daughter to uni and the woman in charge of the halls said she
was letting 500 rooms that day. That amounts to over £50,000 in TV
licenses. The Uni overall has about 15,000 students that is about
£1,500,000 in TV licenses. Scandalous, bearing in mind when my daughter
lived at home we had 8 TV sets on one licence completely legally.

DG