anthony james

Default Wanted to borrow or rent in London - floor roller

We're laying a Karndean floor at the weekend/next week and have been
trying to get hold of a floor roller. After a lot of ringing round
tool hire shops in South London the soonest we can get one is next
Tuesday.

Any suggestions from anyone? I dont suppose anyone local has one we
can borrow.
Jim S

"anthony james" wrote in message
om...
We're laying a Karndean floor at the weekend/next week and have been
trying to get hold of a floor roller. After a lot of ringing round
tool hire shops in South London the soonest we can get one is next
Tuesday.

Any suggestions from anyone? I dont suppose anyone local has one we
can borrow.

Ive had a few kardean floors laid in my house over the last few year (my
wife used to work for kardean), but have never used a floor roller. Not sure
which product you are using, but ive got the plank type De Vinci and the
tile type De Vinci. First time round i laid it myself without a problem
without the roller. The second time it was done professionally, and they
did'nt use a roller either. I think you are worrying to much.

The head office is about 1 mile away from me. If I can be of any help let me
know.

anthony james

"Jim S" wrote in message ...
I think you are worrying to much.

---
Maybe, but we rented a garden roller anyway. On reflection i'm not
sure it was required. We were laying DaVinci tiles with the 'contact'
adhesive and i'm amazed how easy it was - the tile laying went really
well.

The latex levelling compound however.... certainly didnt self level
and we failed to work it enough to get the trowel marks out. We woke
on Sunday to a floor that was significantly worse than it was when we
started on Saturday morning. 4 or 5 hours troweling on Ardex Feather
Finish sorted it out, improved our trowel skills and left us both with
blisters. We ended up with a very smooth floor with slightly gentler
undulations than we started with. Next time we'll just use the
feather finish.
Simon Stroud

"anthony james" wrote in message
m...
"Jim S" wrote in message

I think you are worrying to much.

---
Maybe, but we rented a garden roller anyway. On reflection i'm not
sure it was required. We were laying DaVinci tiles with the 'contact'
adhesive and i'm amazed how easy it was - the tile laying went really
well.

The latex levelling compound however.... certainly didnt self level
and we failed to work it enough to get the trowel marks out. We woke
on Sunday to a floor that was significantly worse than it was when we
started on Saturday morning. 4 or 5 hours troweling on Ardex Feather
Finish sorted it out, improved our trowel skills and left us both with
blisters. We ended up with a very smooth floor with slightly gentler
undulations than we started with. Next time we'll just use the
feather finish.

Agreed on the "contact" adhesive.

I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now. You can see one example
result at
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...orfinished.jpg

The first one (in the picture) used the old "high temperature" adhesive.
This was VERY wet and VERY messy and, like you, I hired a garden roller as
it seems nobody has heard of a proper metal sectional floor roller here. I
spent most of the time wiping off excess adhesive. It think I probably used
the wrong trowel.

The second one (using "planks" rather than "tiles") was more recent. They
had introduced the new "pressure sensitive" adhesive and that was an
absolute pleasure to use. I got the proper special trowel this time from my
local flooring supplier. I just used a small hard hand roller in places but
I didn't feel it was really essential. No signs of lifting yet and there are
plenty of pointy "corners" as it was laid in a diagonal arrangement.

Regards,
Simon.

Toby

Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now. You can see one
example result at
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...orfinished.jpg

That's an impressive layout, particularly how the tile corners meet the
border without any of the tips having to be cut.

--
Toby.

Simon Stroud

"Toby" wrote in message
Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now. You can see one
example result at
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...orfinished.jpg

That's an impressive layout, particularly how the tile corners meet the
border without any of the tips having to be cut.

--
Toby.

Hello Toby,

It looks great (if I do say so myself). However it took a LOT of planning to
millimetre accuracy and on closer inspection you would find that the borders
on each side of the room are slightly different widths to allow the
diagonally cut half tiles to work out correctly. Also I had just had a VERY
amusing quote for supply and fit so I was determined to do a good job of it
myself to avoid the embarrassment of having to go back, with my tail between
my legs, to the local pro fitter if I cocked it up.

See my older post at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...1.giganews.com

.... where I reveal my secret (which was finding some very useful info on the
Amtico site on how to plan this type of layout).

Actually the link in there to the Amtico interesting pages doesn't work any
more. However for your convenience I have just tracked down the information.
They have now made it available in a PDF file. You need to go to
www.amtico.co.uk and select "business". Then under Get Help (up the top)
then FAQ page then "Technical data sheets" (near the top of the screen) you
can download the PDF. It's called the US Technical Manual. NOTE this is not
the same as the similarly named PDF that lives on the "Advice""Technical
manual" page. This is a slightly cut down "glossy brochure" version that
seems to have some of this very useful layout information removed.

Regards,
Simon.

Toby

Simon Stroud wrote:
It looks great (if I do say so myself). However it took a LOT of
planning to millimetre accuracy and on closer inspection you would
find that the borders on each side of the room are slightly different

Many thanks, I think I may be a convert. Now I've seen this done for real
(not just in brochureware) the roll of vinyl just won't do.

--
Toby.

John Stumbles

"Simon Stroud" wrote in message
news
"Toby" wrote in message
Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now. You can see one
example result at
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...orfinished.jpg

Simon, it looks as if you've joined 2 (or more) pictures together. If so
what did you use to do this?

Actually the link in there to the Amtico interesting pages doesn't work

any
more. However for your convenience I have just tracked down the

information.
They have now made it available in a PDF file. You need to go to
www.amtico.co.uk and select "business".

You need to tell it that you're in the US to get the tech manual with the
layout tips.

Then under Get Help (up the top)
then FAQ page then "Technical data sheets" (near the top of the screen)

you
can download the PDF. It's called the US Technical Manual.

When I looked it didn't say US any more (but see above).

It also didn't announce itself as the right file or mime type but as
application/octet-stream: I had to give it a .pdf extension manually when
saving it (this is with Mozilla)

Simon Stroud

"Toby" wrote in message
Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now. You can see one
example result at
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...orfinished.jpg

Simon, it looks as if you've joined 2 (or more) pictures together. If so
what did you use to do this?

Hello John,

Curses! You spotted the join. I think I used Enroute Quickstitch, which I
bought many years ago. The main good thing about it was that if could handle
panoramas with multiple images in the horizontal and vertical directions, up
to 6x6 images.

I just checked and it is apparently discontinued. See
http://www.panoguide.com/software/re...titch_v20.html so sorry, not
much help there. There must be many newer products that do this kind of
thing.

Actually the link in there to the Amtico interesting pages doesn't work

any
more. However for your convenience I have just tracked down the

information.
They have now made it available in a PDF file. You need to go to
www.amtico.co.uk and select "business".

You need to tell it that you're in the US to get the tech manual with the
layout tips.

Then under Get Help (up the top)
then FAQ page then "Technical data sheets" (near the top of the screen)

you
can download the PDF. It's called the US Technical Manual.

When I looked it didn't say US any more (but see above).

It also didn't announce itself as the right file or mime type but as
application/octet-stream: I had to give it a .pdf extension manually when
saving it (this is with Mozilla)

Thanks for the further tips on locating the elusive PDF file on the Amtico
site. The following direct link seems to work for me today but maybe not for
long.

http://www.amtico.co.uk/home/downloa...p?file=pdfTech

As you say I did have to say I was in the US first but the above link might
just work. At present I can just copy that into IE, press return and it
offers to open or save the correct PDF file.

Regards,
Simon.

John Stumbles

Default Stitching photos (was: Wanted to borrow or rent in London - floor roller)

"Toby" wrote in message
Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now. You can see one
example result at
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...orfinished.jpg

Simon, it looks as if you've joined 2 (or more) pictures together. If so
what did you use to do this?

Hello John,

Curses! You spotted the join. I think I used Enroute Quickstitch, which I
bought many years ago. The main good thing about it was that if could handle
panoramas with multiple images in the horizontal and vertical directions, up
to 6x6 images.

I just checked and it is apparently discontinued. See
http://www.panoguide.com/software/re...titch_v20.html so sorry, not
much help there. There must be many newer products that do this kind of
thing.

It was very smooth: I only noticed one little step discontinuity (at
the base of what I guess is your shower enclosure). I'm particularly
impressed that all the straight lines really look straight. I've been
using Arcsoft Panorama Maker which came with my Nikon Coolpix 3100 and
whilst it can sometimes do a nice job on outdoor scenes it's pretty
much pants on interiors: even when you tell it which points to marry
up on adjacent frames there's no way to compensate for the differnet
parallax distortions of the images, so you get bent lines instead of
straight. (That's when it manages to marry up the images at all: I've
had a few pictures of baths looking like Picassos :-)

cheers

John

Stuart

news "Toby" wrote in message
Simon Stroud wrote:
[...]

I got Canon Photo Stitch supplied with my new digital camera but I dont
know if you can get it seperately .
You could do a search of
www.tucows.com
to see if there is any freeware available that does this .
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
.

I just checked and it is apparently discontinued. See
http://www.panoguide.com/software/re...titch_v20.html so sorry, not
much help there. There must be many newer products that do this kind of
thing.

Try a trial version of Pixaround from www.pixaround.com. It is very
good.
--
..
Paul Mc Cann

In article ,
says...
news "Toby" wrote in message
Simon Stroud wrote:
[...]

Parallax distortion ?

Parallax as a photo problem generally refers to the offset of the
viewing point from the actual lens viewpoint. It doesn't exist with SLRs
naturally.

Would you be referring to wide angle distortion ?

If so, my workaround is to use as close to 50mm equivalent on a 35mm
film camera as possible. This is fairly close to the human viewpoint.
Then just shoot more images to get in all that you want. Best to use a
tripod. If you are really picky you will also want to swing the camera
about its focal plane which may not necessarily coincide with the tripod
mount.
so you get bent lines instead of
straight. (That's when it manages to marry up the images at all: I've
had a few pictures of baths looking like Picassos :-)

cheers

John

Photoshop and Photoshop Elements both come with pretty good stitching
abilities. I'm not sure about Elements but Photoshop also distortion
correction also.

I have a small digital Canon which came with built-in panorama
facilities and its own software. I found it excellent, allowing one to
stitch both horizontally and vertically. Scenic views from a height made
by stitching vertically can be very effective

Paul Mc Cann
Rick Hughes

Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now.

Can you tell me more about this flooring.
I have been looking at Amtico, but at £130 m2 and you have to have supply
& fit it's pricey.

Rick

Simon Stroud

Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now.

Can you tell me more about this flooring.
I have been looking at Amtico, but at £130 m2 and you have to have

supply
& fit it's pricey.

Rick

Hello Rick,

A wealth of info is available on their website at www.karndean.co.uk. They
also have quite comprehensive displays at local stockists so you can get an
idea of the likely result.

I believe the product is really aimed at the supply and fit market, but I
have had no problems obtaining supplies from my local stockist, also the
adhesive, etc. If you read the info on the website you can find out all
about the surface preparation required, and also the protective coating that
you are supposed to apply the the finished floor. There is also a special
cleaning product although we haven't actually used this and have experienced
no problems over a couple of years.

Pricewise it is FAR cheaper than the £130 that you mention. Check with your
local supplier. They do various ranges from a "domestic" one up to one
suitable for commercial installations. The price varies accordingly. One
thing I was wary of on the more luxurious range is that the edges are
"bevelled" rather than flat - this wouldn't have worked for the "diamond"
pattern that I did.

Regards,

Simon.