Paul Mc Cann

Default Stitching photos (was: Wanted to borrow or rent in London - floor roller)

In article ,
says...
"Simon Stroud" wrote in message ...
"John Stumbles" wrote in message
"Simon Stroud" wrote in message
news "Toby" wrote in message
Simon Stroud wrote:
I've laid Karndean flooring in two bathrooms now. You can see one
example result at
http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.str...orfinished.jpg

Simon, it looks as if you've joined 2 (or more) pictures together. If so
what did you use to do this?

Hello John,

Curses! You spotted the join. I think I used Enroute Quickstitch, which I
bought many years ago. The main good thing about it was that if could handle
panoramas with multiple images in the horizontal and vertical directions, up
to 6x6 images.

I just checked and it is apparently discontinued. See
http://www.panoguide.com/software/re...titch_v20.html so sorry, not
much help there. There must be many newer products that do this kind of
thing.

It was very smooth: I only noticed one little step discontinuity (at
the base of what I guess is your shower enclosure). I'm particularly
impressed that all the straight lines really look straight. I've been
using Arcsoft Panorama Maker which came with my Nikon Coolpix 3100 and
whilst it can sometimes do a nice job on outdoor scenes it's pretty
much pants on interiors: even when you tell it which points to marry
up on adjacent frames there's no way to compensate for the differnet
parallax distortions of the images,

Parallax distortion ?

Parallax as a photo problem generally refers to the offset of the
viewing point from the actual lens viewpoint. It doesn't exist with SLRs
naturally.

Would you be referring to wide angle distortion ?

If so, my workaround is to use as close to 50mm equivalent on a 35mm
film camera as possible. This is fairly close to the human viewpoint.
Then just shoot more images to get in all that you want. Best to use a
tripod. If you are really picky you will also want to swing the camera
about its focal plane which may not necessarily coincide with the tripod
mount.
so you get bent lines instead of
straight. (That's when it manages to marry up the images at all: I've
had a few pictures of baths looking like Picassos :-)

cheers

John

Photoshop and Photoshop Elements both come with pretty good stitching
abilities. I'm not sure about Elements but Photoshop also distortion
correction also.

I have a small digital Canon which came with built-in panorama
facilities and its own software. I found it excellent, allowing one to
stitch both horizontally and vertically. Scenic views from a height made
by stitching vertically can be very effective

Paul Mc Cann