Lobster

Default New regs for who can fit gas boilers??

I have a plumber who works for me on occasions, doing work which has
included fitting gas boilers. This guy is now actually retired after a
lifetime's plumbing, therefore doesn't have a CORGI ticket; so I have had
the gas installations CORGI'd subsequently in order to remain properly above
board.

So far so good; but today he tells me that he won't be able to fit any more
boilers now due to new rules coming in in the new year. This is the first
I've heard of this, can anyone enlighten me? He reckons that when you buy a
new boiler after January, you'll need to sign your life away or something,
and provide full details of who'll be fitting it etc etc; evidently he's
been frightened off by this. He also told me about Part P (electrical) in
the same breath, which I knew about, but which makes me think his source may
be reliable.

Can anybody tell me more about this? I'm hoping to be able to convince my
plumber friend he's wrong!

Thanks
David

Jyestyn

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Whilst browsing in the plumbing section of my local B+Q shed this
afternoon, I
came across a label attatched to a shelf displaying gas boilers. It
stated
that it is illegal for a gas boiler to be installed by an individual
unless
he/she is registered with CORGI. Maybe they check the customers corgi
card
when the boiler is presented at the till. ;-)

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:39:33 -0800, Jyestyn wrote:

Lobster wrote:
[...]

It is not AFAIK illegal due to the Gas Regs provided you are competant.

However heating appliances come under building regs and there will be issues
about self certification of compliance v. submitting a building notice.

This is going to be observed in the breach along with part P.

I'm surprised that you semi retired friend doesn't think that £200 annual
subscription and £400 liability insurance can't be made to pay for itself
in the course of a year.
It might be that his exam passes are out of date and then he'd be looking
at some serious (£1-5k) to renew.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Mike

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
It is not AFAIK illegal due to the Gas Regs provided you are competant.

True

I'm surprised that you semi retired friend doesn't think that £200 annual
subscription

B****y hell. It's only £112 for a Chartered Engineer. I would have thought
something under £100 was more in line.

How do bodies such as CORGI justify such exhorbitant fees ?

Andy Hall

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:53:43 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
It is not AFAIK illegal due to the Gas Regs provided you are competant.

True

I'm surprised that you semi retired friend doesn't think that £200 annual
subscription

B****y hell. It's only £112 for a Chartered Engineer. I would have thought
something under £100 was more in line.

How do bodies such as CORGI justify such exhorbitant fees ?

Because the law allows the HSE to approve a "class of persons" for the
purposes of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

It chooses to appoint CORGI, and only CORGI for this purpose.

If you look on the HSE web site, you will find that there have
periodically been objections to this, studies have been done, etc.
The outcome has been not to change this.

Therefore CORGI doesn't need to justify its fees within quite a margin
of reason.

Put a different way - Why does a dog lick its balls?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mike

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:53:43 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

But the IEE is the only body to charter electrical/electronic engineers and
the people needing the charter could probably afford far more yet aren't
ripped off like this.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:36:01 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Because the law allows the HSE to approve a "class of persons" for the
purposes of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

It chooses to appoint CORGI, and only CORGI for this purpose.

If you look on the HSE web site, you will find that there have
periodically been objections to this, studies have been done, etc.
The outcome has been not to change this.

Therefore CORGI doesn't need to justify its fees within quite a margin
of reason.

But the IEE is the only body to charter electrical/electronic engineers and
the people needing the charter could probably afford far more yet aren't
ripped off like this.

Yes, but you don't *have* to be an IEE member in order to be an
electrical or electronics engineer. I don't know what proportion of
jobs in these fields require chartered engineer, but unless it has
changed dramatically in the last couple of years, it's not the
majority by a long way.

Whether that is the reason that IEE fees are low is hard to say, but
it's not really comparing apples with apples when you consider CORGI's
pseudo governmental role.

You do have to be a CORGI member in order to legally do gas fitting
professionally.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:

Put a different way - Why does a dog lick its balls?

To take away the taste of the food you insist on providing for it? :-)

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:36:01 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

But the IEE is the only body to charter electrical/electronic engineers

But how many chartered engineers _need_ to be chartered engineers?
There's some prestige to it, but almost none of them are required to
be so by any mandatory rule.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:36:01 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

But the IEE is the only body to charter electrical/electronic engineers

But how many chartered engineers _need_ to be chartered engineers?
There's some prestige to it, but almost none of them are required to
be so by any mandatory rule.

In my industry (computing), people started getting excited about
it in the late 1980's with rumors of EU legislation requiring it
for certain things, related to signing products off from a liability
perspective IIRC. One or two EU countries (Austria springs to mind)
did see significant numbers of engineers going through charter
applications, but the whole EU initiative then died before it ever
got off the ground. The professional bodies (IoP in my case) still
keep pushing it, but no one else seems remotely interested now,
at least in my experience.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mike

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:36:01 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

But the IEE is the only body to charter electrical/electronic engineers

But how many chartered engineers _need_ to be chartered engineers?
There's some prestige to it, but almost none of them are required to
be so by any mandatory rule.

Depends what you are doing - anything legal needs charter for instance.
Also it helps in presentations to governments.

But for many other engineering-based professions - especially civil
engineering, architecture and so on, it is almost impossible to practice
without a charter.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:16:36 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:36:01 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

But the IEE is the only body to charter electrical/electronic engineers

But how many chartered engineers _need_ to be chartered engineers?
There's some prestige to it, but almost none of them are required to
be so by any mandatory rule.

Depends what you are doing - anything legal needs charter for instance.
Also it helps in presentations to governments.

But for many other engineering-based professions - especially civil
engineering, architecture and so on, it is almost impossible to practice
without a charter.

Personally, I prefer to get it right rather than to practice :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

Depends what you are doing - anything legal needs charter for instance.
Also it helps in presentations to governments.

That's been the raison d'etre when trying to persuade members of
associations to apply for a charter, in my experience.

But when it's been successful it's never worked with governments :-(

Mary

Mike

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike" wrote in message

Depends what you are doing - anything legal needs charter for instance.
Also it helps in presentations to governments.

That's been the raison d'etre when trying to persuade members of
associations to apply for a charter, in my experience.

But when it's been successful it's never worked with governments :-(

Not here anyway. But in France it is essential to have gone to the right
sort of schools to move up the political ladder. We have that here a bit of
course (Eton and so on) but these are state schools that choose on ability
those likely to be able to lead a country.

Building Regs blakey9000 UK diy 33 June 24th 04 04:25 PM
Part L Building Regs Tim Jenkins UK diy 14 June 2nd 04 01:18 PM
New Electrical Regs - Again PoP UK diy 169 October 22nd 03 11:34 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM