Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:36:01 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

But the IEE is the only body to charter electrical/electronic engineers

But how many chartered engineers _need_ to be chartered engineers?
There's some prestige to it, but almost none of them are required to
be so by any mandatory rule.

In my industry (computing), people started getting excited about
it in the late 1980's with rumors of EU legislation requiring it
for certain things, related to signing products off from a liability
perspective IIRC. One or two EU countries (Austria springs to mind)
did see significant numbers of engineers going through charter
applications, but the whole EU initiative then died before it ever
got off the ground. The professional bodies (IoP in my case) still
keep pushing it, but no one else seems remotely interested now,
at least in my experience.

--
Andrew Gabriel