Mark_Dathorne

Default Heat Insulation Material - Kids Bedroom?

Hi,

My kids bedroom is the coldest room upstairs and now is the time to do
something about it but I am not much good at diy.

I need to lay some form of insulation in the attic over the kids
bedroom.

1) What material is advised? (Any pointers to suppliers?)
2) What do I need to look out for? (someone mentioned moisture traps!)

My wife - a better diy-er than me- was looking for info about
polystyrene balls as that would be easier to lay?

(It's a 1930s house in Bedford, if any use?!)

Thanks for any help.

Mark Dathorne
BigWallop

"Mark_Dathorne" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

My kids bedroom is the coldest room upstairs and now is the time to do
something about it but I am not much good at diy.

I need to lay some form of insulation in the attic over the kids
bedroom.

1) What material is advised? (Any pointers to suppliers?)
2) What do I need to look out for? (someone mentioned moisture traps!)

My wife - a better diy-er than me- was looking for info about
polystyrene balls as that would be easier to lay?

(It's a 1930s house in Bedford, if any use?!)

Thanks for any help.

Mark Dathorne

Normal Fibre glass wool will do the trick. It is cheap from most DIY
stores. If you lay it in between the joists it does everything you need for
you. It does make dust when cut, so wear a mask to cover your nose and
mouth, and glasses over your eyes if you're really sensitive. It is easy to
cut with big scissors or a sharp modelling knife. Don't press it down to
firmly, because it is the bulk that creates the insulation above the
ceilings.

If the attic has boards on the floor, then lift them up and lay the wool in,
then place the boards back down. It's that simple really.

Lobster

"Mark_Dathorne" wrote in message
om...

My kids bedroom is the coldest room upstairs and now is the time to do
something about it but I am not much good at diy.

I need to lay some form of insulation in the attic over the kids
bedroom.

1) What material is advised? (Any pointers to suppliers?)
2) What do I need to look out for? (someone mentioned moisture traps!)

To answer your question with another question - first you need to tell us
what insulation, if any, is already up there (what type, and how deep?)

David

Lobster

"Lobster" wrote in message
"Mark_Dathorne" wrote in message
om...

My kids bedroom is the coldest room upstairs and now is the time to do
something about it but I am not much good at diy.

I need to lay some form of insulation in the attic over the kids
bedroom.

1) What material is advised? (Any pointers to suppliers?)
2) What do I need to look out for? (someone mentioned moisture traps!)

To answer your question with another question - first you need to tell us
what insulation, if any, is already up there (what type, and how deep?)

It looks like old fibreglass wool. Very thin in places.

Do I need to remove the old stuff or just add to it?

No, just add to it. The current standard (for new builds) is I think 270 mm
of glass fibre (or it is if you use Wickes insulation!) so you'll be way
down on that. You can buy the stuff in rolls of different thickness, so you
can work out for yourself what you need to add in order to bring yours up to
a decent level.
BigWallop's given you a good rundown on what you need to do; the only thing
I'd add is that you'll find that adding another layer of insulation will
take you above the level of the ceiling joists... if you're going to go the
whole hog and add two layers (probably needed to get to the optimum), then
the second layer should be laid at 90 degrees to the first. Wickes do a
Good Ideas leaflet on it - see
http://media.venda.com/wickes/ebiz/w...ges/gil/32.pdf

If you really have very little insulation currently, then you should do the
whole house not just above the kid's room - well worthwhile as you'll notice
a big saving in heating bills.

David

Mark_Dathorne

Cheers, David.

I laid 2 10m rolls from Focus (the easy type .. still in cellophane)
about £20.
Makes a difference already ... when more cash is available will head
on down for some more!

We also did the draught excluder around the front door!
What a difference!! Now the thermostat (in the hall) should work to
the balanced temperature!

Gonna look for some stuff for the french doors!

Thx all for your help.

MarkieD