BigWallop

"Mark_Dathorne" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

My kids bedroom is the coldest room upstairs and now is the time to do
something about it but I am not much good at diy.

I need to lay some form of insulation in the attic over the kids
bedroom.

1) What material is advised? (Any pointers to suppliers?)
2) What do I need to look out for? (someone mentioned moisture traps!)

My wife - a better diy-er than me- was looking for info about
polystyrene balls as that would be easier to lay?

(It's a 1930s house in Bedford, if any use?!)

Thanks for any help.

Mark Dathorne

Normal Fibre glass wool will do the trick. It is cheap from most DIY
stores. If you lay it in between the joists it does everything you need for
you. It does make dust when cut, so wear a mask to cover your nose and
mouth, and glasses over your eyes if you're really sensitive. It is easy to
cut with big scissors or a sharp modelling knife. Don't press it down to
firmly, because it is the bulk that creates the insulation above the
ceilings.

If the attic has boards on the floor, then lift them up and lay the wool in,
then place the boards back down. It's that simple really.