Grimly Curmudgeon

Default Under patio heating

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

squirrels

Great in tempura batter. Light and crunchy

That'd be the nuts.
--

Dave
geoff

In message , Capitol
writes

The real world operates on the basis of the individual doing what pleases
him/her. This is why building and planning regulations(& speed limits) are
regularly ignored world wide. If the individual is rich/idealistic enough to
heat his/her patio/conservatory, that is their decision and is nothing to do
with any other person.

Except where it impacts on others.

All this crap about global warming ignores the fact that mankind has
a built in self limiting trait, whereby the weakest go to the wall, the
population drops and the most resourceful survive.

It has nothing to do with being resourceful, unless you mean some
resourceful person putting an ice pick through your cranium because you
have what they want.

We live in a society, which comes with responsibilities

There is almost no justification for conservation in either
economic or environmental terms, it is todays PC good idea. If you disagree,
I suggest you go and research it.
The only real benefit of the currently
fashionable organic food movement is that it provides employment in the
farming industry, but that is another example of the buyers spending their
income as they please. The pollution caused by growing and delivering it
destroys any environmental benefit the product may well have.

What - compared with the phosphates and other chemicals leeching into
water courses?

The advantage
of global warming may be that the UK has a warmer climate, but on past
history, it will last for less than a century.

Not if the gulf stream switches off, which is what is slowly happening
at the moment

--
geoff
IMM

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:09:21 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
.. .

I went on the District Line the other day and the platform was

invaded
by a..... squirrel!

It stopped in front of me and looked me in the eye for a few seconds
before going on it's way down the platform, as I had no spare
hazelnuts on me.

Aw, so you didn't eat it?

The japanese kids on the other platform appreciated it too.

They did eat it?

Mary

Great in tempura batter. Light and crunchy

I've only had squirrel done as a pot roast, it's delicious but I'd have
though it would be too stringy for frying.

Mary,

My God! Are things that bad in Yorkshire? ee-by-gum.

IMM

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Capitol
writes

The advantage
of global warming may be that the UK
has a warmer climate, but on past
history, it will last for less than a century.

Not if the gulf stream switches off, which is
what is slowly happening at the moment

Called the Odden Pump. If that happens then the UK will turn into a Siberia
type of climate. Yes, global warming will give us a mini ice age. Some
reckon the Gulf Stream can switch off in under 10 years. Emigrate now!

Neil Jones

"IMM" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Capitol
writes

The advantage
of global warming may be that the UK
has a warmer climate, but on past
history, it will last for less than a century.

Not if the gulf stream switches off, which is
what is slowly happening at the moment

Called the Odden Pump. If that happens then the UK will turn into a

Siberia
type of climate. Yes, global warming will give us a mini ice age.

Some
reckon the Gulf Stream can switch off in under 10 years. Emigrate

now!

I suggest you post this to uk.sci.weather and see what replies you get

Neil

Mary Fisher

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

snip stuff

Emigrate
now!

I suggest you post this to uk.sci.weather and see what replies you get

Or emigrate :-)

Mary

Neil

IMM

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

snip stuff

Emigrate
now!

I suggest you post this to uk.sci.weather and see what replies you get

Or emigrate :-)

Mary, correct. They must emigrate.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:19:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Emigrate now!

After you....

Oh bugger.... forgot... the internet is global....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:19:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Emigrate now!

After you....

Oh bugger.... forgot... the internet is global....

Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia. Just to
say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Mary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Neil Jones

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia. Just

say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Much as pointless emails annoy me almost as much as pointless phone
calls, surely you didn't *know* he was coming home today until you got
the email - he could've been stuck in traffic and missed his flight...

Neil

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia. Just

say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Much as pointless emails annoy me almost as much as pointless phone
calls, surely you didn't *know* he was coming home today until you got
the email - he could've been stuck in traffic and missed his flight...

Is that what you are going to do when you emigrate?

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia. Just

say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Much as pointless emails annoy me almost as much as pointless phone
calls, surely you didn't *know* he was coming home today until you got
the email - he could've been stuck in traffic and missed his flight...

That would have been a first. He does a lot of air travel and knows how to
organise it.

It didn't annoy me though ... it was a follow-on from the comment that
internet is global, even for little old boilers like me.

And it's neither here nor there when he comes back (in my other post "home"
= England). He lives in Cambridgeshire, I'm in Yorkshire. I shan't be there
to have the kettle on. The internet communicaion is the same wherever he is.
Q.E.D.

:-)

Mary

Neil

Neil Jones

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia.

Just
say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Much as pointless emails annoy me almost as much as pointless phone
calls, surely you didn't *know* he was coming home today until you

got
the email - he could've been stuck in traffic and missed his

flight...

Is that what you are going to do when you emigrate?

I wasn't aware that I going to emigrate. Are there any other life
changing events coming up for me?

Neil

Neil Jones

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

snip

I inferred from your email you thought it was unnecessary since it
didn't actually tell you anything. Mea culpa :-)

Neil

Mary Fisher

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

snip

I inferred from your email you thought it was unnecessary since it
didn't actually tell you anything. Mea culpa :-)

er - what's that about?

Mary

Neil

Mary Fisher

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

Is that what you are going to do when you emigrate?

I wasn't aware that I going to emigrate. Are there any other life
changing events coming up for me?

Who are you answering?

Or questioning ...

Despite being a crone I'm not a soothsayer. Don't even know what I'm going
to make for tonight's dinner ...

Mary

Neil

Neil Jones

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

Is that what you are going to do when you emigrate?

I wasn't aware that I going to emigrate. Are there any other life
changing events coming up for me?

Who are you answering?

Or questioning ...

Despite being a crone I'm not a soothsayer. Don't even know what I'm

going
to make for tonight's dinner ...

Mary

Neil

IMM thinks I'm emigrating. I wondered what else he has in store for me.
Is there anything happening on the 29th?

IMM

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

Is that what you are going to do when you emigrate?

I wasn't aware that I going to emigrate. Are there any other life
changing events coming up for me?

Who are you answering?

Or questioning ...

Despite being a crone I'm not a soothsayer. Don't even know what I'm

going
to make for tonight's dinner ...

Mary

Neil

IMM thinks I'm emigrating. I wondered what else he has in store for me.
Is there anything happening on the 29th?

Why aren't you emigrating? Changed your mind now? Want to live in an ice
age?

Mary Fisher

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

Is that what you are going to do when you emigrate?

I wasn't aware that I going to emigrate. Are there any other life
changing events coming up for me?

Who are you answering?

IMM thinks I'm emigrating. I wondered what else he has in store for me.
Is there anything happening on the 29th?

Oh - IMM. That's what confused me, sorry. I haven't seen IMM for ages,
except in passing ...

As for the 29th (of April?)

looks at wall planner

Going to see Cyrano at the West Yorkshire Playhouse. And looking forward to
it. Cyrano's been a favourite of mine since my schooldays. What a wooer!

Mary

Neil Jones

"IMM" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

IMM thinks I'm emigrating. I wondered what else he has in store for

me.
Is there anything happening on the 29th?

Why aren't you emigrating? Changed your mind now? Want to live in an

ice
age?

Is your GP experimenting with your dose again?

Andy Hall

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:55:45 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:19:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Emigrate now!

After you....

Oh bugger.... forgot... the internet is global....

Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia. Just to
say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Mary

There is rapidly becoming nowhere from where you can't access the
internet in some way. Even aircraft are about to have wireless
internet access via satellite - some trains in Germany already have
it. Airports have had it for some time.

I think that my most far-flung access was from the middle of a forest
200km north of the Arctic Circle.
The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

IMM thinks I'm emigrating. I wondered what else he has in store for

me.
Is there anything happening on the 29th?

Why aren't you emigrating? Changed your mind now? Want to live in an

ice
age?

Is your GP experimenting with your dose again?

Yes, a heavier cough mixture this time. How are you getting on at the
clinic?

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:55:45 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:19:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Emigrate now!

After you....

Oh bugger.... forgot... the internet is global....

Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia. Just to
say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Mary

There is rapidly becoming nowhere from where you can't access the
internet in some way. Even aircraft are about to have wireless
internet access via satellite - some trains in Germany already have
it. Airports have had it for some time.

I think that my most far-flung access was from the middle of a forest
200km north of the Arctic Circle.
The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

...and then you prattle ball about heating?

Andy Hall

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:25:23 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

..and then you prattle ball about heating?

No, I leave that to you since you are far more accomplished at
"prattling ball"

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:55:45 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:19:47 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Emigrate now!

After you....

Oh bugger.... forgot... the internet is global....

Yes ... a son mailed from the airport this morning. In Australia. Just to
say he's coming home - I KNEW that!

Mary

There is rapidly becoming nowhere from where you can't access the
internet in some way. Even aircraft are about to have wireless
internet access via satellite - some trains in Germany already have
it. Airports have had it for some time.

I think that my most far-flung access was from the middle of a forest
200km north of the Arctic Circle.
The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

Showoff.

Mary
green with envy ...

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:19:51 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

Showoff.

Mary
green with envy ...

It was for a work-related issue....

The ferry's good though. www.silja.fi

Surprisingly inexpensive, and basically a duty-free subsidised
arrangement. They stop in the Aland islands (which is technically
outside the EU) to achieve this.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
G&M

The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

Which is a bit sad really given that these Baltic ferrys are excellent
floating entertainment venues. First saw an ABBA tribute band on one who
were really good.

If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

Showoff.

Mary
green with envy ...

It was for a work-related issue....

The ferry's good though. www.silja.fi

Even greener ... :-(

Mary

Surprisingly inexpensive, and basically a duty-free subsidised
arrangement. They stop in the Aland islands (which is technically
outside the EU) to achieve this.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

Which is a bit sad really given that these Baltic ferrys are excellent
floating entertainment venues. First saw an ABBA tribute band on one who
were really good.

If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

Yep.

I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

The most obscure was from a ferry going from Stockholm to Helsinki
where I connected via cellphone to the cellular network in Latvia and
an ISP there.

Which is a bit sad really given that these Baltic ferrys are excellent
floating entertainment venues. First saw an ABBA tribute band on one who
were really good.

If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in

Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

Yep.

I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

Depends.....

"Scandinavia is the cultural and historic region of the Scandinavian
Peninsula. The Scandinavian countries are Norway, Sweden and Denmark, which
mutually recognize each other as parts of Scandinavia. The collective label
"Scandinavia" reflects the cultural similarity between these countries
despite their political independence.

The usage and meaning of the term outside Scandinavia is somewhat ambiguous:
Finland and Iceland are occasionally counted as parts of Scandinavia.

In a German mindset, Norway, Sweden and Finland are usually included, but
Denmark is not.
In a British mindset it includes Norway and Sweden, and is sometimes
included with the Baltic region.

The term the Nordic countries is used unambiguously for Norway, Sweden,
Denmark, Finland and Iceland."

Andy Hall

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:47:52 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

Depends.....

"Scandinavia is the cultural and historic region of the Scandinavian
Peninsula. The Scandinavian countries are Norway, Sweden and Denmark, which
mutually recognize each other as parts of Scandinavia. The collective label
"Scandinavia" reflects the cultural similarity between these countries
despite their political independence.

The usage and meaning of the term outside Scandinavia is somewhat ambiguous:
Finland and Iceland are occasionally counted as parts of Scandinavia.

Not if you talk to a Finn they aren't. The Finnish language bears no
relation to the Scandinavian languages, and people are most certainly
not that similar in cultural terms. There is a minority primarily
Swedish speaking population in Finland and both languages are used
officially - e.g. road signs, government documents and the like.

Finnish is an Finno-Ugric language with a similar root to Hungarian
and more recently Estonian - the Scandinavian languages have quite
heavy German influence among other languages.

The Finns will tend to coin their own words for new things rather than
diluting with English. I read recently that for technology words
they have over a 90% rate of this, whereis with German and French it
is in the 50s.

In a German mindset, Norway, Sweden and Finland are usually included, but
Denmark is not.

Incorrect in fact, but perhaps because of Schleswig Holstein and
Denmark.

In a British mindset it includes Norway and Sweden, and is sometimes
included with the Baltic region.

Only one that doesn't travel.

Sometimes Swedes and Finns talk of the Baltic region (or Balticum) as
their countries plus the others bordering the Baltic.

The term the Nordic countries is used unambiguously for Norway, Sweden,
Denmark, Finland and Iceland."

Which is why I always tend to use it..... believe me, it's a
sensitive issue.

You have to remember that several of these countries occupied each
other for long periods up until the early 20th century.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

G&M

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0100, "G&M" wrote:
If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in

Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

Yep.

I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

And that Finland isn't really where it should be thanks to Stalin.

G&M

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in

Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on

the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

I hate you all!

Perhaps a uk.d-i-y invasion is called for !! Don't think we'll be buying
any tools there though. Prices are horrific.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:32:25 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in

Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on

the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

I hate you all!

Perhaps a uk.d-i-y invasion is called for !! Don't think we'll be buying
any tools there though. Prices are horrific.

Not always. I've bought Sandvik stuff in a shed near Kista prettty
cheaply.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in

Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on

the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

Yep.

I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

I hate you all!

Mary, the Finns are also great tango dancers too. Drunken bums, but great
tango dancers.

In article , IMM
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

If you're ever on business in Scandanavia always arrange meetings in

Sweden
and Finland on alternate days so that you can cross back and forth on

the
ferry - FAR cheaper than staying in a Stockholm hotel even if you don't
drink.

Yep.

I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

I hate you all!

Mary, the Finns are also great tango dancers too. Drunken bums, but great
tango dancers.

In fact the all Finland tango dancing champion was killed a few years
back by hitting an Elk which because of the heavy body on top of long
legs crash straight through the windscreen of cars which is why Volvos
have driving lights on all the time, its so the Elk can see them and get
out of the way.

--
David
Mike Christopher

wrote in message
In article , IMM
writes

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

I thought it was because Volvo drivers are afraid of the dark!

You learn something new every day!

Combi Boiler woes - first heating & no DHW, now DHW and no heating.... RichardS UK diy 8 April 8th 04 09:52 PM
Hot Air Central Heating ron UK diy 6 January 17th 04 02:43 PM
No central heating - HW only threewayvalve and tank therm John UK diy 7 September 29th 03 09:18 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM