Arthur

Default Drywall ceiling advice request

Hello.
I tore down a lath and plaster ceiling a while back and I'm ready to
replace it with drywall.

The room is 4m by 3.4m (into the alcove).
I was thinking of ordering 4 sheets of 12' x 4' and then fill in the
remaining
area with 8' x 3' sheets. This is to minimize the joins to fill in.

I've never drywalled a boggin thing before in my life.
So if you can offer advice on any of the following, I'd appreciate it very
much.

Tapered edge sheets/square edge ::.pros and cons?

In a pefect world I will be able to slap 2 coats of paint on it and it will
look fantastic but whats the reality?

With a 10' high ceiling I'm gonna need to hire a panel lifter...Pros and
cons..best deal?

But mostly concerned that the joists don't present a perfectly level surface
and that it will result
in dents or hollows to the finished surface. Advice on this please?

Thanks

Arthur.

IMM

"Arthur" wrote in message
[...]

Arthur,

Look at Fermacell. Pre-finished. All you need is use their filler in the
gaps and screw holes. Two man job to put up as they are heavy. They also
have good sound deadening qualities. Also while you are at it, before you
put up the ceiling install Rockwool rigid batts in the void with a tight fit
against the joists (75% fill from top to bottom). This will also reduce
sound quite cheaply too. Fermacell is expensive, but you save the cost of
an expensive plasterer, if you can get one, so works out cheaper and a far
superior job.

http://www.fermacell.co.uk

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Look at Fermacell. Pre-finished. All you need is use their filler in the
gaps and screw holes.

Certainly looks interesting. Have you used it yourself (or has anyone
else here for that matter)? How much is a sheet?

--
Grunff
IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Look at Fermacell. Pre-finished. All you need is use their filler in

the
gaps and screw holes.

Certainly looks interesting. Have you used it yourself (or has anyone
else here for that matter)? How much is a sheet?

I have used it. Brilliant stuff. For ceiling you get the thinner sheets.
Depending on where you buy it, anything from £15 to £20 per 8x4 sheet.
Overall cheaper than normal boards and a pro skimming. Certainly cheaper
doing it yourself. No real wet skills needed at all, just use common sense
and follow their guide. I think they issue a CDROM with fitting demo on it
for free.

Nick Brooks

Arthur wrote:
[...]

Can you really buy twelve foot sheets - they must be really heavy.

If your house is old enough to have lath and plaster, then the joists
probably wont be spaced at 400mm centres so you'll end up cutting every
sheet anyway.

Having just done a ceiling, it's much easier to use 1800 x 900 (6'x3')
sheets as they are much easier to handle.

We had ours skimmed so could use loads of screws to hold them up which
made life easier too. I bought an automatic feed screwdriver which
I'll sell when I've done the other 5 ceilings that need doing

Nick Brooks