raymond newman

Default Asbestos thread

I was interested in the recent Asbestos thread,
having just been through a similar problem.
I had to dismantle and dispose of an Asbestos
shed erected by my father in 1960 when I was
13.I wrote to the Environmental Health dept.,
at the city coucil.They rang me to say that
they no longer deal with asbestos disposal
and told me that if I disposed it other than
in a proper way with special bags etc.,and
arrange for transport to a disposal site I
could receive a hefty fine.They said that
they would send a list of firms licensed
but would not be responible in any way.
Having checked the archives for this group
It seemed that firms had been given a licence
to print money almost.

Today I managed to get a firm to bag it up
and take it away for £350.It would have
been twice that if they had taken it down.
I did it myself in the rain last week having
bought the mask mentioned in this group,
EN149.It was harder than I thought but I
did it in the day.The nearest disposal site
is Wiltshire and I'm in Gwent.

The link provided in the earlier thread could
be of real use to people caught in this
"asbestos trap"
raymond newman

mogga wrote in message . ..
On 27 Oct 2004 11:00:41 -0700,
(raymond newman) wrote:

[...]

Did the blokes who took it away just throw it in the back of a van?

No.It was all double wrapped in heavy duty
polythene and sealed with tape.I notice
that some Local Authorities seem more able
to assist than others.I think Birmingham
for example have suspended collections.
This is probably due to lack of disposal
sites.
Ash

"raymond newman" wrote in message
om...
Today I managed to get a firm to bag it up
and take it away for £350.It would have
been twice that if they had taken it down.
I did it myself in the rain last week having
bought the mask mentioned in this group,
EN149.It was harder than I thought but I
did it in the day.The nearest disposal site
is Wiltshire and I'm in Gwent.

I think that's quite a good price. Over on the Isle of Man, we have been
quoted between £5,000 and £9,000 to remove and dispose of less than 50
metres of asbestos soffit.

Ash

raymond newman

'Ash' wrote in message ...
'raymond newman' wrote in message
om...
Today I managed to get a firm to bag it up
and take it away for £350.It would have
been twice that if they had taken it down.
I did it myself in the rain last week having
bought the mask mentioned in this group,
EN149.It was harder than I thought but I
did it in the day.The nearest disposal site
is Wiltshire and I'm in Gwent.

I think that's quite a good price. Over on the Isle of Man, we have been
quoted between £5,000 and £9,000 to remove and dispose of less than 50
metres of asbestos soffit.

Ash

The point is that the shed only measured
6'x8'and8' at the apex with 4 corrugated
sheets either side for the roof.The door
and window took up some space.It was in
fact asbestos cement which has a low
asbestos content.The blue and brown stuff
seem to be the problem as this is referred
to as white.
I need to change my Oxygen cylinder now.
Steven Briggs

Seeing as the ridiculous rules and regulations for asbestos disposal
have been forced upon by the government etc, I do feel that local
authorities should be under a legal obligation to provide free disposal
facilities for householders asbestos cement products.
For example, round this area, I believe East Yorks charge (I know
someone who had to pay ~£100 to dispose of a garage roof's worth), York
City have a collection service for a nominal charge (£20ish ISTR,
whether that's per item or per load I don't know), in my own area of N
Yorks there's fortunately a free skip at Harrogate, which I think has to
serve most if not all of the county.
I recently had to get rid of 25 sheets of the stuff, at 8'6" by 2'6"
each. £100 of polythene and a hard days graft to wrap it all up. Jeez I
could hardly walk for week, aching in places I didn't even know had
muscles! Then had to find a mate with a spare time & trailer to take it
for disposal.

--
Steve

Andrew Mawson

"Steven Briggs" wrote in message
[...]

Well I've just had to do an 'asbestos survey' in my three shops as requested
by the local environmental health Dept of the council, to record in two of
them the 6mm x 25mm strips of white asbestos in the fuse carriers in the
distribution board - label them as ACMs, and develop and implement an action
plan to 'manage' them over the coming years, not forgeting to monitor them
on an annual basis from now until kingdom come. Fortunately as the premises
are 'small' I am 'allowed' to do the survey myself.

A farce instigated by well meaning but out of touch officials and
politicians.

AWEM

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:24:55 +0100, "Ash"
wrote:

I think that's quite a good price. Over on the Isle of Man, we have been
quoted between £5,000 and £9,000 to remove and dispose of less than 50
metres of asbestos soffit.

Ship it to Northern Ireland - no-one cares over there.

Much of the demolished asbestos from Yorkgate was buried under our
front garden, pretending to be soil from a nearby road cutting. I
imagine brown envelopes and handshakes were done for that.

mogga

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:48:54 +0100, Steven Briggs
wrote:

[...]

They do in North Manchester provide a free disposal place for
asbestos.

--
Free stuff by post
http://www.freestuffbypost.co.uk

Owain

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote
| raymond newman writes:
| No.It was all double wrapped in heavy duty
| polythene and sealed with tape.
| Have you looked to see if it's all in a pile at the
| end of the next street? ;-)

Probably been sent off to China to be turned into fire doors or kids' toys
or something.

Owain