raymond newman

Default Asbestos thread

I was interested in the recent Asbestos thread,
having just been through a similar problem.
I had to dismantle and dispose of an Asbestos
shed erected by my father in 1960 when I was
13.I wrote to the Environmental Health dept.,
at the city coucil.They rang me to say that
they no longer deal with asbestos disposal
and told me that if I disposed it other than
in a proper way with special bags etc.,and
arrange for transport to a disposal site I
could receive a hefty fine.They said that
they would send a list of firms licensed
but would not be responible in any way.
Having checked the archives for this group
It seemed that firms had been given a licence
to print money almost.

Today I managed to get a firm to bag it up
and take it away for £350.It would have
been twice that if they had taken it down.
I did it myself in the rain last week having
bought the mask mentioned in this group,
EN149.It was harder than I thought but I
did it in the day.The nearest disposal site
is Wiltshire and I'm in Gwent.

The link provided in the earlier thread could
be of real use to people caught in this
"asbestos trap"