Andrew Mawson

"Steven Briggs" wrote in message
Seeing as the ridiculous rules and regulations for asbestos disposal
have been forced upon by the government etc, I do feel that local
authorities should be under a legal obligation to provide free disposal
facilities for householders asbestos cement products.
For example, round this area, I believe East Yorks charge (I know
someone who had to pay ~£100 to dispose of a garage roof's worth), York
City have a collection service for a nominal charge (£20ish ISTR,
whether that's per item or per load I don't know), in my own area of N
Yorks there's fortunately a free skip at Harrogate, which I think has to
serve most if not all of the county.
I recently had to get rid of 25 sheets of the stuff, at 8'6" by 2'6"
each. £100 of polythene and a hard days graft to wrap it all up. Jeez I
could hardly walk for week, aching in places I didn't even know had
muscles! Then had to find a mate with a spare time & trailer to take it
for disposal.

--
Steve

Well I've just had to do an 'asbestos survey' in my three shops as requested
by the local environmental health Dept of the council, to record in two of
them the 6mm x 25mm strips of white asbestos in the fuse carriers in the
distribution board - label them as ACMs, and develop and implement an action
plan to 'manage' them over the coming years, not forgeting to monitor them
on an annual basis from now until kingdom come. Fortunately as the premises
are 'small' I am 'allowed' to do the survey myself.

A farce instigated by well meaning but out of touch officials and
politicians.

AWEM