DavidD

Default multi fuel burner, do I need a chimney liner?

We have a very old, timber framed house (tiled roof) and have two
fireplaces.
One has a woodburner which is not much cop (Nestor Martin, looks nice, lots
of flame, sod all heat), this chimney is lined.
The other room has a nice open fireplace with a full functioning chimney
which has not been used since it was last swept last year. A mate has
offered me a multifuel burner for this room.

I was going to make up a plate and instal it this weekend, however a builder
mate seems to think that it must have a liner or it will be a serious fire
risk, I don't see why it will be any more of a risk than the fire that has
been burnt in the fioreplace for the last x 00 years.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

David

The Natural Philosopher

DavidD wrote:

We have a very old, timber framed house (tiled roof) and have two
fireplaces.
One has a woodburner which is not much cop (Nestor Martin, looks nice, lots
of flame, sod all heat), this chimney is lined.
The other room has a nice open fireplace with a full functioning chimney
which has not been used since it was last swept last year. A mate has
offered me a multifuel burner for this room.

I was going to make up a plate and instal it this weekend, however a builder
mate seems to think that it must have a liner or it will be a serious fire
risk, I don't see why it will be any more of a risk than the fire that has
been burnt in the fioreplace for the last x 00 years.

Anyone care to comment?

You must line it with a flexible liner. Building regs. You may
invalidate house insurance if you don't.

Flue temps on closed stoves can be VERY high indeed - higher than an
open fire which sucks in more air and sweeps it up teh chimney.

Thanks

David

Rick Dipper

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:58:15 +0100, "DavidD"
wrote:

We have a very old, timber framed house (tiled roof) and have two
fireplaces.
One has a woodburner which is not much cop (Nestor Martin, looks nice, lots
of flame, sod all heat), this chimney is lined.
The other room has a nice open fireplace with a full functioning chimney
which has not been used since it was last swept last year. A mate has
offered me a multifuel burner for this room.

I was going to make up a plate and instal it this weekend, however a builder
mate seems to think that it must have a liner or it will be a serious fire
risk, I don't see why it will be any more of a risk than the fire that has
been burnt in the fioreplace for the last x 00 years.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

David

Building Regulations overide normal sensible behavor, therfore you
need it lined.

Rick

DavidD

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the responses, the word bugger springs to mind...

Grunff

DavidD wrote:

Thanks for the responses, the word bugger springs to mind...

It isn't very difficult or expensive. We lined our chimney a few months
back when installing a wood burner. The liner (twinwall 916 SS) was only
~£150 from these people:
http://www.fluesystems.com/liners/index.htm

And took about 2 hours to fit.

--
Grunff

DavidD

"Grunff" wrote in message
DavidD wrote:

Thanks for the responses, the word bugger springs to mind...

It isn't very difficult or expensive. We lined our chimney a few months
back when installing a wood burner. The liner (twinwall 916 SS) was only
~£150 from these people:
http://www.fluesystems.com/liners/index.htm

And took about 2 hours to fit.

--
Grunff

Really? How on earth did you do it? I assumed scaffolding etc, etc.
The chimney is huge, I could probably crawl up it (kidding) so I did
wonder about shoving some up it, although how would I secure it at the top?

Grunff

DavidD wrote:

Really? How on earth did you do it? I assumed scaffolding etc, etc.
The chimney is huge, I could probably crawl up it (kidding) so I did
wonder about shoving some up it, although how would I secure it at the top?

Bah! Tall ladder, rope, hammer.
Tie hammer to rope.
Drop hammer down chimney.
Remove hammer, tie rope to end of liner.
Pull liner up, while an assistant pushes it from below. Ours was a very
tight fit, but we wriggled it up there.
Fit register plat at the bottom
Fit closure plate and cowl at the top.
Done.

--
Grunff
The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:

DavidD wrote:

Really? How on earth did you do it? I assumed scaffolding etc, etc.
The chimney is huge, I could probably crawl up it (kidding) so I
did wonder about shoving some up it, although how would I secure it at
the top?

Bah! Tall ladder, rope, hammer.
Tie hammer to rope.
Drop hammer down chimney.
Remove hammer, tie rope to end of liner.
Pull liner up, while an assistant pushes it from below. Ours was a very
tight fit, but we wriggled it up there.
Fit register plat at the bottom
Fit closure plate and cowl at the top.
Done.

Yes, but its a lot nicer if you have scaffold, and prfessioals may
insist - insurance cover etc.

Otherwsie, yes, thats how we did ours, but we had to use double
insulated, not flexible, and it was a bugger to get round the kinks...

Grunff

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, but its a lot nicer if you have scaffold, and prfessioals may
insist - insurance cover etc.

I'm sure. It would also have been a lot nicer if it hadn't chucked it
down while we were in the middle of doing it.

--
Grunff
Anna Kettle

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, but its a lot nicer if you have scaffold, and prfessioals may
insist - insurance cover etc.

I was wondering about hiring a cherry picker but I haven't compared
prices yet. I'm guessing that a cherry picker would be cheaper than
having a proper chinmey scaffold installed and there is no way I'm
going up a ladder

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:18:37 GMT, Anna Kettle wrote:

I was wondering about hiring a cherry picker but I haven't compared
prices yet. I'm guessing that a cherry picker would be cheaper than
having a proper chinmey scaffold installed and there is no way I'm
going up a ladder

Hum, if you're a bit iffy about ladders bear in mind that cherry
pickers wobble about, not much but as you move from one side of the
bucket to the other they will move. And if you are leaning out heaving
on a rope attached to 30' of liner it'll definately move... Scaffold
is very stable in comparision.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Anna Kettle

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:41:19 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Hum, if you're a bit iffy about ladders bear in mind that cherry
pickers wobble about, not much but as you move from one side of the
bucket to the other they will move. And if you are leaning out heaving
on a rope attached to 30' of liner it'll definately move... Scaffold
is very stable in comparision.

Good point. I've never actually been up in a cherry picker, just seen
one. Maybe what I need is a cherry picker and a friend, so I can say
"Go up and feed the liner in the top and I'll pull it through at the
bottom "

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
The Natural Philosopher

Anna Kettle wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, but its a lot nicer if you have scaffold, and prfessioals may
insist - insurance cover etc.

I was wondering about hiring a cherry picker but I haven't compared
prices yet. I'm guessing that a cherry picker would be cheaper than
having a proper chinmey scaffold installed and there is no way I'm
going up a ladder

Not a bad idea if you have access close to - the pickers can't go
sideways very far.

It is a gable end chimbly with a drive down the side u can get a 20
tonner, its ideal.

Scaffolding is not THAT expensive - its a half days work for a couple of
men to erect and half day to take down - say 300 quid abs max.

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Hum, if you're a bit iffy about ladders bear in mind that cherry
pickers wobble about, not much but as you move from one side of the
bucket to the other they will move. And if you are leaning out heaving
on a rope attached to 30' of liner it'll definately move... Scaffold
is very stable in comparision.

Good point. I've never actually been up in a cherry picker, just seen
one. Maybe what I need is a cherry picker and a friend, so I can say
"Go up and feed the liner in the top and I'll pull it through at the
bottom "

Sounds ideal to me. :-)
Actually I WAS the one on top on the scaffolding. Fantastic view of teh
****ryside from up there...

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Anna Kettle

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:46:55 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Not a bad idea if you have access close to - the pickers can't go
sideways very far.

It would have to stretch across half the roof cos the chinmey os on
the middle

Scaffolding is not THAT expensive - its a half days work for a couple of
men to erect and half day to take down - say 300 quid abs max.

Not too bad then if I save up all the chimney jobs to do in one hit. I
thought the scaffold would cost more than that. To my untrained eye a
chimney scaffold looks complicated

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Not a bad idea if you have access close to - the pickers can't go
sideways very far.

It would have to stretch across half the roof cos the chinmey os on
the middle

Scaffolding is not THAT expensive - its a half days work for a couple of
men to erect and half day to take down - say 300 quid abs max.

Not too bad then if I save up all the chimney jobs to do in one hit. I
thought the scaffold would cost more than that. To my untrained eye a
chimney scaffold looks complicated

Sounds ideal Anna, get reponting/repotting/liners installed and flashing
all done in one hit.

Get some quotes from scaffold companies too - they are not normally too
bad.

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:50:14 GMT, Anna Kettle wrote:

Good point. I've never actually been up in a cherry picker, just
seen one.

The big ones, 200' high, really move. Tiddly ones aren't so bad.

Maybe what I need is a cherry picker and a friend, so I can say "Go
up and feed the liner in the top and I'll pull it through at the
bottom "

Not sure I'd like to trying to man handle a liner up on cherry picker
with no where to put it down to take the weight. Far better to have it
down at the bottom lying on the floor and haul it up. For a woodburner
the regs insist on a twin wall insulated liner, this isn't going to be
particulary light I would have thought.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Janet Tweedy

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

You must line it with a flexible liner. Building regs. You may
invalidate house insurance if you don't.

Flue temps on closed stoves can be VERY high indeed - higher than an
open fire which sucks in more air and sweeps it up teh chimney.

We've had a hunter multi fuel stove for about 20 years in a 1934
detached house. Has never been a problem apart from when the chimney got
a bit gunged up as I was given a load of wood and it seemed to create a
fair bit of tar.
We have the chimney swept every 18 months and use it from October to
about April, plus we keep the fir banked up at night.
No problems so far, did the regulations for lining the flue come in
after 1985?
It was installed by a professional firm from whom I also bought the
Hunter.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Chimney liner confusion Brian Andrews Home Repair 8 August 26th 04 06:47 PM
Chimney liner advice Mike A UK diy 3 April 4th 04 08:35 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
Smelly chimney liner? NickW UK diy 2 November 25th 03 03:21 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM