The Natural Philosopher

DavidD wrote:

We have a very old, timber framed house (tiled roof) and have two
fireplaces.
One has a woodburner which is not much cop (Nestor Martin, looks nice, lots
of flame, sod all heat), this chimney is lined.
The other room has a nice open fireplace with a full functioning chimney
which has not been used since it was last swept last year. A mate has
offered me a multifuel burner for this room.

I was going to make up a plate and instal it this weekend, however a builder
mate seems to think that it must have a liner or it will be a serious fire
risk, I don't see why it will be any more of a risk than the fire that has
been burnt in the fioreplace for the last x 00 years.

Anyone care to comment?

You must line it with a flexible liner. Building regs. You may
invalidate house insurance if you don't.

Flue temps on closed stoves can be VERY high indeed - higher than an
open fire which sucks in more air and sweeps it up teh chimney.

Thanks

David