NickW

Default Smelly chimney liner?

Just installed a stainless chimney liner for a wood burning stove.
Register plate not yet in position. Bottom 3 meters of the liner is
insulated with rockwool sleeves.

The first three fires I've had have been progressively hotter, each
time I get masses of smoke come down the chimney into the room. It's
not wood smoke, it has an acrid chemical smell.

Is this normal for a new liner, do we just have to ride it out?

Cheers

Nick.

(If emailing, please replace 'bt' with 'azuresolutions')
The Natural Philosopher

NickW wrote:

Just installed a stainless chimney liner for a wood burning stove.
Register plate not yet in position. Bottom 3 meters of the liner is
insulated with rockwool sleeves.

The first three fires I've had have been progressively hotter, each
time I get masses of smoke come down the chimney into the room. It's
not wood smoke, it has an acrid chemical smell.

Odd. Very odd. I would havbe thought it would be insulated all the way up...

Is this normal for a new liner, do we just have to ride it out?

I suspect what is hapopening is the flue is heating soot in the old chimney.

My liner was insulated all the way for this. And has not yet had a
register plate fitted. It doesn't smoke. It was a brand new stack tho.

I'd say seek advice, possibly fromn building inspector.

Cheers

Nick.

(If emailing, please replace 'bt' with 'azuresolutions')

NickW

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

I suspect what is hapopening is the flue is heating soot in the old chimney.

Can this happen with soot??

I hoped it would just be because the liner was coated with something
which is burning off. Just to reiterate, the smell is chemically, not
like woodsmoke.

I've only had 3 fires so far but they were progressively hotter (and I
added the insulation after the second one). The smoke stopped coming
after a while even though I kept adding wood to the fire so it would
not have been getting cooler.

Nick