Allan

Default Leaky Toilet

Fellow d-i-y'ers. It has been a loooong time since I have visited but now I
have a small problem.

'er indoors felt the need for a new en-suite - so yay and verily it was so.

Everything has been going smoothly (or as smoothly as removing and fitting a
new en-suite can go) but after fitting the new toilet, I seem to have a
small leak from the waste pipe.

Now I could go pulling it apart etc, but if any of you chaps had any sage
advice about fitting toilets - and in particular ensuring that the watse is
well and truly sealed - I would be most grateful.

Al.

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:11:14 GMT, "Allan"
wrote:

Everything has been going smoothly (or as smoothly as removing and fitting a
new en-suite can go) but after fitting the new toilet, I seem to have a
small leak from the waste pipe.

Now I could go pulling it apart etc, but if any of you chaps had any sage
advice about fitting toilets - and in particular ensuring that the watse is
well and truly sealed - I would be most grateful.

I assume by waste pipe you mean the large 4in pipe that exits the
bottom rear of the toilet? Can't think of anything else but I thought
I'd check.

If you used the old waste pipe fitting with the rubber rings to make
the connection to the new toilet then that'll be the problem area. Buy
next waste connections with new rubber seals and that should cure the
problem.

You will need to remove the toilet to fit these of course. Not my
favourite job but YMMV.

Andrew

Richard Porter

On 20 Oct 2004 "Allan" wrote:

... after fitting the new toilet, I seem to have a small leak from
the waste pipe.

Now I could go pulling it apart etc, but if any of you chaps had any
sage advice about fitting toilets - and in particular ensuring that
the watse is well and truly sealed - I would be most grateful.

I've used Plumber's Mait quite successfully for that job. It's worth a
try otherwise you'll probably have to replace the pan coupler.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com
The Natural Philosopher

Allan wrote:

Fellow d-i-y'ers. It has been a loooong time since I have visited but now I
have a small problem.

'er indoors felt the need for a new en-suite - so yay and verily it was so.

Everything has been going smoothly (or as smoothly as removing and fitting a
new en-suite can go) but after fitting the new toilet, I seem to have a
small leak from the waste pipe.

Now I could go pulling it apart etc, but if any of you chaps had any sage
advice about fitting toilets - and in particular ensuring that the watse is
well and truly sealed - I would be most grateful.

Get a gun and some sanitary silicone.

Empty bowl as far as possible.

Get her to **** and pee somewhere else for 6 hours.

Inject the stuff into any place it will go (around the waste joint of
the toilet that is..)

Clean up with white spirits and a ****load of bogroll. (the toilet, that
is).

Took about 3 goes to seal every little chink in mine, but its rock solid
now (the toilet, that is).

Al.

Allan

So, after buying new waste fitting and applying a handful of plumbers mait
the exit from the pan is now sealed.....only for me to discover that the
leak is in fact coming from the flush (entry) pipe! I could of course go
down the plumbers mait route again but if I could avoid it I would. Any
suggestions.

Al.

Allan wrote:

[...]

Christian McArdle

So, after buying new waste fitting and applying a handful of plumbers
mait
the exit from the pan is now sealed.....only for me to discover that the
leak is in fact coming from the flush (entry) pipe!

I must admit, I thought it odd. I never had any problem with the soil
outlet, but definitely did have issues with the flush pipe. In the end, I
think I stuffed the hole full of silicon before jamming the flush pipe
"cork" in. It worked very well and I never had leaks.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

So, after buying new waste fitting and applying a handful of plumbers

mait

the exit from the pan is now sealed.....only for me to discover that the
leak is in fact coming from the flush (entry) pipe!

I must admit, I thought it odd. I never had any problem with the soil
outlet, but definitely did have issues with the flush pipe. In the end, I
think I stuffed the hole full of silicon before jamming the flush pipe
"cork" in. It worked very well and I never had leaks.

Christian.

Me too. Everything leaked. Stuff it all with silicone.

Natures instant perfect fit gasket....
Allan

Ahh,

Thanks for the replies folks, I went with the stuff every orifice full of
sanitary silicone and everything now appears dry.

Amazing how I can't help feeling behind the loo every time I go in the room
now though ;o) I'm sure the urge will pass with time.

Al.