Tim Downie

Default ARRGGGHH!!! Can't get this f$cking wallpaper off!

Many moons ago, we redecorated our younger daughter's room by peeling off
the exisiting vinyl wallpaper and simply painting over the remaining layer
of paper.

Fast-forward a good few years and we're trying to remove that thin layer of
painter paper. No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will enable us to scrape off
this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1 square foot every 20 minutes to
half an hour!

I don't know whether it's simply the effect of the paint making the paper
waterproof of some strange paste used many years ago before we bought the
house.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Tim Downie wrote:
Many moons ago, we redecorated our younger daughter's room by peeling
off the exisiting vinyl wallpaper and simply painting over the
remaining layer of paper.

Fast-forward a good few years and we're trying to remove that thin
layer of painter paper. No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming
or blow-torching (you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will
enable us to scrape off this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1
square foot every 20 minutes to half an hour!

I don't know whether it's simply the effect of the paint making the
paper waterproof of some strange paste used many years ago before we
bought the house.

Have you tried one of those wire scratchy pad things (technical term) from
B&Q etc.? They're supposed to work well. Also, soak the stuff for ages after
it's all scratched up - 20 minutes or so. Ok, not ages, BYKWIM.

Si

Pete C

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:39:57 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Many moons ago, we redecorated our younger daughter's room by peeling off
the exisiting vinyl wallpaper and simply painting over the remaining layer
of paper.

Fast-forward a good few years and we're trying to remove that thin layer of
painter paper. No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will enable us to scrape off
this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1 square foot every 20 minutes to
half an hour!

I don't know whether it's simply the effect of the paint making the paper
waterproof of some strange paste used many years ago before we bought the
house.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Hi,

Maybe it's some sort of lining paper stuck with strong glue. Try
scoring the paper through to the plaster, spray with water with
detergent in, and wait for the water to soak behind the paper. Then
give it some welly with the steamer and scrape off in strips using the
scores made in the paper earlier. Don't leave the steamer on too long
or it may 'blow' the plaster off the wall, let the plaster cool down
and come back to it if need be.

The best thing I've used for scraping is a 'hand hoe' which has a 2ft
handle and a rectangular blade at 80° to the handle. They can be
bought cheaply from pound shops etc, make sure the blade is sharpened
so it's really sharp. Then use both hands and scrape the paper off in
strips using part of the blade.

cheers,
Pete.
The Natural Philosopher

Tim Downie wrote:

Many moons ago, we redecorated our younger daughter's room by peeling off
the exisiting vinyl wallpaper and simply painting over the remaining layer
of paper.

Fast-forward a good few years and we're trying to remove that thin layer of
painter paper. No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will enable us to scrape off
this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1 square foot every 20 minutes to
half an hour!

I don't know whether it's simply the effect of the paint making the paper
waterproof of some strange paste used many years ago before we bought the
house.

Any suggestions?

Knock the ****ing house down.

Works every time.

;-)

Tim

Rob Morley

In article , "Tim Downie" timdownie2003
@obvious.yahoo.co.uk says...
Many moons ago, we redecorated our younger daughter's room by peeling off
the exisiting vinyl wallpaper and simply painting over the remaining layer
of paper.

Fast-forward a good few years and we're trying to remove that thin layer of
painter paper. No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate)

No angle grinder? :-)

mogga

wrote:

Many moons ago, we redecorated our younger daughter's room by peeling off
the exisiting vinyl wallpaper and simply painting over the remaining layer
of paper.

Fast-forward a good few years and we're trying to remove that thin layer of
painter paper. No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will enable us to scrape off
this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1 square foot every 20 minutes to
half an hour!

I don't know whether it's simply the effect of the paint making the paper
waterproof of some strange paste used many years ago before we bought the
house.

Any suggestions?

Paper over it?

I tried to remove wallpaper which had been painted over with bathroom
paint (Nothing to do with me - previous occupier of the place) and it
was a living hell. The steamer made the paint stringy and scratching
the surface didn't make much difference... In the end I decided if it
was that well fixed on then it could stay!

--
Free stuff by post
http://www.freestuffbypost.co.uk
Christian McArdle

Any suggestions?

If you still get no luck, you may find it easier to remove the plaster
(preferably just the skim layer) and replaster. Messy job, though. You'd
need to use a respirator, open the window and tape the door closed behind
you. At least you get perfect flat walls using this method.

Christian.

Martin Pentreath

"Tim Downie" wrote in message ...

No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will enable us to scrape off
this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1 square foot every 20 minutes to
half an hour!

Any suggestions?

I have no connection with, and have never used this, but look at
http://www.wallwik.co.uk/wallwik_faq.html

I'd be interested to know how you get on with it if you do use it.
I've got several rooms of woodchip which I'm trying to ignore, but I
know I'll have to face the inevitable soon.
stuart noble

Martin Pentreath wrote in message
. ..
"Tim Downie" wrote in message

No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will enable us to scrape

off
this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1 square foot every 20 minutes

half an hour!

It's not plasterboard is it? I've had lining paper stuck to the paper film
on baseboard before now. Impossible to get off without destroying the
surface.

Tim Downie

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Tim Downie wrote:
[...]

Went to B&Q and couldn't fnd one of those wire scratchy things but I did buy
one of those 4" razorblade-on-a-stick things made by Harris. Should have
bought one years ago! Combined with more vigorous perforating & steaming,
the wallpaper is at last succumbing.

Thanks to all.

Tim

Si

Dave

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Many moons ago, we redecorated our younger daughter's room by peeling off
the exisiting vinyl wallpaper and simply painting over the remaining layer
of paper.

Fast-forward a good few years and we're trying to remove that thin layer

of
painter paper. No amount of perforating, soaking, steaming or

blow-torching
(you can tell I'm getting a little desperate) will enable us to scrape off
this wretched stuff at a rate faster that 1 square foot every 20 minutes

half an hour!

I don't know whether it's simply the effect of the paint making the paper
waterproof of some strange paste used many years ago before we bought the
house.

Any suggestions?

I had exactly the same problem and what I did was to buy a Tiger (a sort of
toothed wheeled thing that you use to score the paper) I would imagine most
decorator shops know about them.
What I did find useful was to get the room's humidity has high as I could
and the paper fell off the walls. To get the humidity up, try putting
several trays of very hot water into the room and keep the steamer running.
When you can feel as if you have walked into a tropical rain forest, then
you know it is time to strip the paper.

HTH

Dave

Chris Howard

I used wallwik to remove the woodchip, which was stuck directly onto
plasterboard.

It's absolutely brilliant.

The only problem is that you can't buy it in the UK - I had to buy it
mail order from the states.
- it was worth the wait.

You basically score the wallpaper, and then soak the wallwik sheets in
diluted wallpaper stripping solution (I found this worked best,
although the instructions suggest you should use washing up liquid).
You then stick the sheets to the wallpaper. You have to keep spraying
it to keep it wet.

After 20 - 30 mins, you remove the wallwik sheets, and then the
wallpaper comes off in huge sheets.

If you score carefully, you should have no damage to the wall behind.

- I took a photo of mine - have a look at
http://www.chris-howard.demon.co.uk/wallwik/

Regards,
Chris.
Rob

"Chris Howard" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I also recommend Walwik for woodchip - compared to when not using it - the
walppaper came of MUCH easier. I has a whole house covered in the stuff and
I believe that it saved me a couple WEEKS removing the disgusting stuff.

I soaked mine in a mixture of warm water, fairy liquid and vinegar (the
fairly liquid helps them 'stick' to the wall) - and then have a pressurised
spray gun (the pressurised ones just save your hands and use the the same
mixture in) and just make sure to keep them damp.

I bought mine (many years ago) from QVC - not sure if they still sell it -
but worth a look.

Rob

Owain

"Rob" wrote
| I used wallwik to remove the woodchip, which was stuck directly
| onto plasterboard.
| It's absolutely brilliant.
| The only problem is that you can't buy it in the UK -
| I bought mine (many years ago) from QVC - not sure if they still
| sell it - but worth a look.

They've had it within the last couple of years because I've seen it.

Owain

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Tim Downie wrote:

Went to B&Q and couldn't fnd one of those wire scratchy things

Might have been Wickes...

but I
did buy one of those 4" razorblade-on-a-stick things made by Harris.

Good, aren't they? They get rid of artex too, if the material the artex is
stuck to is up to it. Walls in my case.

Should have bought one years ago! Combined with more vigorous
perforating & steaming, the wallpaper is at last succumbing.

Jolly good

Si

Rob

"Pete C" wrote in message

SNIP

Hi,

What are they, some sort of thin absorbent mat?

cheers,
Pete.

Yes - here is a link to their website http://www.wallwik.com/

Jase

Just stripped a bathroom that had painted over wood chip paper. In the
end I resorted to using paint stripper (NITROMORS) which took off both
paint and paper very effectively. All the sheds stock it. It's very
caustic and so you need to take all the precautions, mask, old
clothes, thick pair of rubber gloves, cover anything within splashing
distance and make sure the room is well ventilated.

Rgds.Jase

Bob Smith \(UK\)

"Chris Howard" wrote in message
m...
I used wallwik to remove the woodchip, which was stuck directly onto
plasterboard.

What's special about wallwik? Could you use any old cloth?

How is it different to wallpaper pasting a binbag to the wall as suggested
once as a cure for artex? (the binbag would not need to be kept wet?)

Bob

stuart noble

Bob Smith (UK) wrote in message

"Chris Howard" wrote in message
om...
I used wallwik to remove the woodchip, which was stuck directly onto
plasterboard.

What's special about wallwik? Could you use any old cloth?

How is it different to wallpaper pasting a binbag to the wall as suggested
once as a cure for artex? (the binbag would not need to be kept wet?)

Good idea. Must try that. Would it stay on there I wonder

Bob Smith \(UK\)

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Bob Smith (UK) wrote in message

"Chris Howard" wrote in message
om...
I used wallwik to remove the woodchip, which was stuck directly onto
plasterboard.

What's special about wallwik? Could you use any old cloth?

How is it different to wallpaper pasting a binbag to the wall as

suggested
once as a cure for artex? (the binbag would not need to be kept wet?)

Good idea. Must try that. Would it stay on there I wonder

You mean you would rather have binbags than artex - good point, although it
is meant to be a way to remove artex.

The wallpaper paste is kept damp for a long time because the binbag seals
the moisture in. When the artex is soaked, it scrapes off
easily(aparently - I haven't tried it yet) and stops dust too. Early artex
has asbestos in, so this is a good thing.

Bob

Mungo Henning

Pete C wrote in message
Try
scoring the paper through to the plaster, spray with water with
detergent in, and wait for the water to soak behind the paper.

Careful (in my experience): many moons ago we were scraping woodchip
paper that had been pasted to bare-plaster walls (I always paint bare
plaster with emulsion before I wallpaper over it; makes the removal so
much more pleasant).

We didn't have access to a steam stripper then, so it was a b*gger of a
job to do - lots of work and little progress.

I tried using one of those "misting" spray bottles to apply water to the
paper, and then I hit on the idea of adding some washing up liquid to help
the water adhere to the paper.

The mist that was generated was horrible when breathed in, to the extent that
after a few scooshes with the spray we had to rinse the bottle and go back
to using plain water.

So if you do try washing-up liquid, wear a mask if you don't want to suffer
convulsions.

Just my experience.

Mungo

Paintable Wallpaper Monica Home Repair 4 May 18th 04 11:59 AM
Paintable Wallpaper barry martin Home Repair 0 May 18th 04 10:51 AM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM
applying wallpaper mural to sheet of plywood kdoret Home Repair 2 August 20th 03 12:40 AM
Painting over Wallpaper Kyle Boatright Home Repair 1 July 20th 03 03:11 PM