Slymo

Default Shower screen too big! Suite suppleid by Jacuzzi...

I just bought a bathroom suite from Focus, the one with the p-shaped
shower bath and curved shower screen. We pre-measured everything
except the height! The screen is too tall for our humble bathroom by
1/2". We can't lower the bath any more because of the height of the
side panel. That clips underneath the edge of the bath rather than
sliding up inside the edge. Any ideas welcome, perhaps someone knows a
way to cut the screen down? It is about 1/2" thick acryllic and
curved!

Also has anyone else had problems with suites supplied by Jacuzzi.
We've had plenty including missing parts, broken parts, poor packaging
methods. They've been great at following up our complaints
butunfortunately won't replace the screen as it was not their fault, I
should have measured up!
John Rumm

Slymo wrote:

I just bought a bathroom suite from Focus, the one with the p-shaped
shower bath and curved shower screen. We pre-measured everything
except the height! The screen is too tall for our humble bathroom by
1/2". We can't lower the bath any more because of the height of the
side panel. That clips underneath the edge of the bath rather than
sliding up inside the edge. Any ideas welcome, perhaps someone knows a
way to cut the screen down? It is about 1/2" thick acryllic and
curved!

Plasterboard ceiling?

If so, then cut a matching slot in the ceiling, stick the top of the
screen in it and then make good round the edges. That should keep the
top of the screen nice and firm!

If you were going to cut it, then I would suggest a good jigsaw on slow
speed with a fine toothed blade. A layer of masking tape on the surface
first to stop the sole plate leaving scratches, and use a rip fence to
follow the top edge so you get a nice straight line. Once cut clean off
any rough edges with some wet'n'dry.

--
Cheers,

John.

Capitol

If you can drop the bath feet 1/2in then I'd trim the bottom edge of the
surround rather than the top if possible, it's normally less noticeable.

Regards
Capitol
Slymo

Nice one, I may have a go at cutting it myself but obviously I don't
want to wreck it cos they're not cheap so I'll keep my options open
for a bit. What is a ripfence though please?

John Rumm wrote in message ...
Slymo wrote:

[...]

John Rumm

Rob Morley wrote:

In article , "Slymo"
says...

Nice one, I may have a go at cutting it myself but obviously I don't
want to wreck it cos they're not cheap so I'll keep my options open
for a bit. What is a ripfence though please?

A width guide for cutting parallel to an edge.

Not all jigsaws can use them, and even then you often need to buy the
fence separately. Axminster sell a Makita fence that may fit other jigsaws.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

The usual alternative would be to cut along a batten to get a straight
edge. That is complicated in your case because of the curve in the
screen. You may find that a thinish strip of wood could be bent to the
same shape however if you clamped it at both ends.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rob Morley

In article , "John
Rumm" says...
Rob Morley wrote:

In article , "Slymo"
says...

Nice one, I may have a go at cutting it myself but obviously I don't
want to wreck it cos they're not cheap so I'll keep my options open
for a bit. What is a ripfence though please?

A width guide for cutting parallel to an edge.

Not all jigsaws can use them, and even then you often need to buy the
fence separately. Axminster sell a Makita fence that may fit other jigsaws.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

The usual alternative would be to cut along a batten to get a straight
edge. That is complicated in your case because of the curve in the
screen. You may find that a thinish strip of wood could be bent to the
same shape however if you clamped it at both ends.

Easier to make a quick jig than try to use a batten on a curve, I'd have
thought. Just a bit of ply or MDF, drill hole for blade, screw jigsaw
to top, attach a straight strip of something underneath to desired width
of cut.
Ian Middleton

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
In article , "John
Rumm" says...
Rob Morley wrote:

In article , "Slymo"
says...

[...]

I cut a curved bath panel, removing about an inch at the bottom, by marking
a line with a permenant marker on front side, applying clear selotape both
sides, scoring with a sharp knife along required line (front side only) and
cutting with a fret saw with a fine blade. Tooks ages with no breakages or
cracks or chips but then it only need to be done once, but once correctly.
Could have used a jigsaw with a fine blade, but that would have required
cutting from the back of the pannel to prevent chipping but that would have
been difficult to get the saw in due to the curve of the panel.

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Slymo
writes

I just bought a bathroom suite from Focus, the one with the p-shaped
shower bath and curved shower screen.

I have that, a Jacuzzi J-Twin. It's great.

We pre-measured everything
except the height! The screen is too tall for our humble bathroom by
1/2". We can't lower the bath any more because of the height of the
side panel. That clips underneath the edge of the bath rather than
sliding up inside the edge.

Can't you rip out the ceiling and install a new one? Seems a shame to
hack about a nice suite.

Any ideas welcome, perhaps someone knows a
way to cut the screen down? It is about 1/2" thick acryllic and
curved!

?? My screen is glass.

Also has anyone else had problems with suites supplied by Jacuzzi.

The seal between the two halves of our sliding curved glass screen
failed. Jacuzzi cheerfully sent out a free replacement, *very* well
packed.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

Shower Screen Stephen Jones UK diy 0 August 10th 04 02:55 PM
Shower screen seal Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 4 January 6th 04 01:04 PM
Shower Screen Sizes and Seals ??? Stuart UK diy 1 October 8th 03 08:38 PM
Shower screen grumble... David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 September 5th 03 05:49 PM