MiniEmma

Default How Noisy Should My Combi Be ??

I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system was
put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to
use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through 2
closed doors !!!!

the motor is set to it's highest speed but 'he who does the diy' says this
must be obeyed - the manual says so?

thinking about boxing it in but can't see it making that much difference.

any suggestions - we have nothing to compare to coz we had warm air before
and were looking forward to a quieter winter !!!!! no such luck :-(

Andy Hall

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:09:24 +0000 (UTC), "MiniEmma"
wrote:

I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system was
put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to
use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through 2
closed doors !!!!

At least you haven't got two of them. That would have been a
lose-lose situation :-)

You will hear some noise from the fan, but nothing much more and it
shouldn't be audible through two doors.

the motor is set to it's highest speed but 'he who does the diy' says this
must be obeyed - the manual says so?

The pump?

You need to work out whether the noise is the pump or the fan

It sounds as though it is pump noise transmitted through the pipework.

thinking about boxing it in but can't see it making that much difference.

If it's pump noise then not much.

any suggestions - we have nothing to compare to coz we had warm air before
and were looking forward to a quieter winter !!!!! no such luck :-(

I would contact the installer and get him to fix it.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
MiniEmma

You will hear some noise from the fan, but nothing much more and it
shouldn't be audible through two doors.

the motor is set to it's highest speed but 'he who does the diy' says this
must be obeyed - the manual says so?

The pump?

yes the pump

You need to work out whether the noise is the pump or the fan

It sounds as though it is pump noise transmitted through the pipework.

yes i would say partly so

thinking about boxing it in but can't see it making that much difference.

If it's pump noise then not much.

any suggestions - we have nothing to compare to coz we had warm air before
and were looking forward to a quieter winter !!!!! no such luck :-(

I would contact the installer and get him to fix it.

might speak to installer again but he's not much use on the finer points of
boiler usage and has previously said the volume is right

i just emailed Worcester.

.andy

thanks

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Paper2002AD

i just emailed Worcester.

I would be interested in the reply. My new house has a Worcester cobi with a
similarly annoying pump noise
chris French

In message , Paper2002AD
writes

i just emailed Worcester.

I would be interested in the reply. My new house has a Worcester cobi with a
similarly annoying pump noise

Sounds like summats up somewhere. In my combi (which is nothing fancy)
the pump is pretty much inaudible, the fan and the burner make more
noise
--
Chris French, Leeds

Broadback

chris French wrote:

In message , Paper2002AD
writes

i just emailed Worcester.

I would be interested in the reply. My new house has a Worcester cobi
with a
similarly annoying pump noise

Sounds like summats up somewhere. In my combi (which is nothing fancy)
the pump is pretty much inaudible, the fan and the burner make more noise

My daughter has a Worcester and that is very noisy, in particular when
it fires up, which in normal usage is often. The installer reckoned it
was normal, is that so?
MiniEmma

Just got my reply from Worcester - the pump on the 28i Junior should NOT be
that loud and they will send out an engineer FOC to change the pump.

BUT I don't have any proof that it was installed in june coz a friend
installed it and didn't give us the grey/blue log book?? that we are meant
to have with his details and corgi registration in. so gonna have to chase
that up then i'll let you know the final result.

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

[...]

Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:29:24 +0000 (UTC), "MiniEmma"
wrote:

Just got my reply from Worcester - the pump on the 28i Junior should NOT be
that loud and they will send out an engineer FOC to change the pump.

Good.

BUT I don't have any proof that it was installed in june coz a friend
installed it and didn't give us the grey/blue log book?? that we are meant
to have with his details and corgi registration in. so gonna have to chase
that up then i'll let you know the final result.

Do you or he have the purchase invoice? That would be proof of
date....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

[...]

As a preliminary check (and not to be left beyond a very brief test period)
try turning down the pump speed while listening to the level of noise. If it
is the pump this should be immediately apparent. If its the fan then no
effect will be noticed.
As an aside I installed a Worcester Combi a couple of years ago and it had
been shipped with a noisy fan. Worcesters changed it under warranty but the
second was also noisy :-( The thrd was OK though.

MiniEmma

"John" wrote in message

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks John

We had already tried your test and it is indeed the pump
thanks also for your info - seems we are not alone.......

Now I just gotta sort out the squealing trv's !!!!!!

raden

In message , MiniEmma
writes
I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system was
put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to
use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through 2
closed doors !!!!

the motor is set to it's highest speed but 'he who does the diy' says this
must be obeyed - the manual says so?

If you're talking about the pump, it depends on the size of your house
(and the pump), but most often they are set to 2 (if there are three
settings)

You haven't said what type of noise it is, it could be e.g. air in the
pipes, the pump, the fan or even a poor squirrel trying to get out
(having been driven out of someone else's loft.

You really need to tie down the source of noise if you want some
constructive comments.

I'll hopefully be getting the same model in a few weeks, watch this
space
--
geoff
raden

In message , Paper2002AD
writes

i just emailed Worcester.

I would be interested in the reply. My new house has a Worcester cobi with a
similarly annoying pump noise

It shouldn't really be making any audible noise, unless you've got air
in the system

--
geoff
raden

In message , John
writes

As a preliminary check (and not to be left beyond a very brief test period)
try turning down the pump speed while listening to the level of noise. If it
is the pump this should be immediately apparent. If its the fan then no
effect will be noticed.
As an aside I installed a Worcester Combi a couple of years ago and it had
been shipped with a noisy fan. Worcesters changed it under warranty but the
second was also noisy :-( The thrd was OK though.

Maybe I should recondition the fan before I install the boiler ... just
a thought
--
geoff

raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
[...]

Oi !

snotty uni scum

/snip drivel

you obviously know nothing

.... did I miss anything?

--
geoff

MiniEmma

"raden" wrote in message
In message , MiniEmma
writes
I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system
was
put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to
use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through 2
closed doors !!!!

the motor is set to it's highest speed but 'he who does the diy' says this
must be obeyed - the manual says so?

If you're talking about the pump, it depends on the size of your house
(and the pump), but most often they are set to 2 (if there are three
settings)

Small two bed end terrace 7 rads inc. towel rail
pump set to 3 of 3, manual says it has to be

You haven't said what type of noise it is, it could be e.g. air in the
pipes, the pump, the fan or even a poor squirrel trying to get out (having
been driven out of someone else's loft.

It's the pump and it's the normal droning noise you get from anything with a
motor but it's loud enough to be heard through two closed doors

boiler installed at front of house downstairs
pump noise can be heard in back bedroom upstairs with doors closed
just as loud as our old warm air system 8(

You really need to tie down the source of noise if you want some
constructive comments.

It is definately the pump - as mentioned in an earlier reply
and i have plenty of constructive comments
thank you

I'll hopefully be getting the same model in a few weeks, watch this space
--
geoff

Andy Hall

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:28:54 GMT, raden wrote:

..

I'll hopefully be getting the same model in a few weeks, watch this
space

Just one?

Oi !

snotty uni scum

/snip drivel

you obviously know nothing

... did I miss anything?

win-win situation. ;-)

I'm not an armature?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
MiniEmma

wrote:

I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system
was
put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to
use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through 2
closed doors !!!!

At least you haven't got two of them. That would have been a
lose-lose situation :-)

Have you got two then?

Andy Hall

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:18:42 +0000 (UTC), "MiniEmma"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system
was
put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get to
use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through 2
closed doors !!!!

At least you haven't got two of them. That would have been a
lose-lose situation :-)

Have you got two then?

No. Periodically there are threads where there are suggestions to
fit two boilers when one has been shown to be inadequate.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
MiniEmma

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:18:42 +0000 (UTC), "MiniEmma"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I have a worcester 28i Junior installed in my kitchen. The whole system
was
put in in june this year. The weather is now turning colder so we get
use it at last!!!

So we have discovered that we can still hear the boiler running through
2
closed doors !!!!

At least you haven't got two of them. That would have been a
lose-lose situation :-)

Have you got two then?

No. Periodically there are threads where there are suggestions to
fit two boilers when one has been shown to be inadequate.

Aha - I had a feeling it would be an in joke

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

MiniEmma

"MiniEmma" wrote in message
Just got my reply from Worcester - the pump on the 28i Junior should NOT
be that loud and they will send out an engineer FOC to change the pump.

BUT I don't have any proof that it was installed in june coz a friend
installed it and didn't give us the grey/blue log book?? that we are meant
to have with his details and corgi registration in. so gonna have to
chase that up then i'll let you know the final result.

UPDATE for those still interested
still waiting for installer to fill in the benchmark form
we got a new blank one sent by worcester

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

[...]

MiniEmma

Another UPDATE

My Installer came round last night and filled in Benchmark form, so I rang
Worcester Bosch today and gave them my installers details and an engineer
from Worcester will be here between 8am an 6pm on Saturday :-D

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

[...]

Ben

I turned on my (combi boiler powered) heating for the first time this
season a few days ago, and the pump made one hell of a racket. I was all
for calling out a plumber when I realised I hadn't bled the radiators
yet. A quick bleed of the top radiator (I have one higher than all the
others, so all the air ends up in that one) and the pump is near-silent
again.
MiniEmma

"Ben" wrote in message
I turned on my (combi boiler powered) heating for the first time this
season a few days ago, and the pump made one hell of a racket. I was all
for calling out a plumber when I realised I hadn't bled the radiators yet.
A quick bleed of the top radiator (I have one higher than all the others,
so all the air ends up in that one) and the pump is near-silent again.

Interesting, what kind of racket?

I only ask coz I wouldn't describe the noise we get as a racket, just quite
loud.

Ben

MiniEmma wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

I turned on my (combi boiler powered) heating for the first time this
season a few days ago, and the pump made one hell of a racket. I was all
for calling out a plumber when I realised I hadn't bled the radiators yet.
A quick bleed of the top radiator (I have one higher than all the others,
so all the air ends up in that one) and the pump is near-silent again.

Interesting, what kind of racket?

I only ask coz I wouldn't describe the noise we get as a racket, just quite
loud.

I could hear it in every room in the house. It sounded like a sort of
metallic scraping noise, hard to describe, but a bit like dragging a bag
full of metal things over rough concrete. I thought a bearing had got
mashed or something.

MiniEmma

BUGGER

Worcester engineer confirms that that's the volume it should be :-(

He said I could try turining the pump down to number 2 but it may overheat
and cut off but 'he wouldn't do it and that he never said it' wink wink

also said that I should have a room stat under building regs Part L which i
knew but the installers said not to bother, so i'll fit one now and then i
can leave my trv's at full to stop the whistling, might just remove the
buggers. and also the room stat will shut off the boiler pump when
temperature is reached therefore reducing the noise factor again.

still really ****ed off tho :-(

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

[...]

Pete C

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:40:54 +0000 (UTC), "MiniEmma"
wrote:

BUGGER

Worcester engineer confirms that that's the volume it should be :-(

He said I could try turining the pump down to number 2 but it may overheat
and cut off but 'he wouldn't do it and that he never said it' wink wink

also said that I should have a room stat under building regs Part L which i
knew but the installers said not to bother, so i'll fit one now and then i
can leave my trv's at full to stop the whistling, might just remove the
buggers. and also the room stat will shut off the boiler pump when
temperature is reached therefore reducing the noise factor again.

still really ****ed off tho :-(

Hi,

Does it make the same amount of noise when starting from cold? Also
what sort of pipe is used to connect the pump and what is it fixed to?
Connecting the pump with 'flexibles' and fixing it via rubber bushings
should help, or try a better quality pump.

cheers,
Pete.

How to correctly size combi boilers Dean UK diy 16 December 25th 03 10:49 PM
noisy combi boiler Tony UK diy 1 December 17th 03 03:22 PM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM