James

Default Condensing boilers and pluming

Hi

I've just had installed a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler system (R29 HE).

I understand that the pluming is common (inevitable?) with condensing
boilers. There is a fair amount of pluming with the R29 HE. I've been told
by a WB engineer that this will always occur (it'll be worse the colder it
is) and indicates that the boiler is working well.

The flue cannot be moved. Is there a way a way of lessening the visual
(cosmetic) aspect of the pluming so that it doesn't look like a smoking
chimney? I'm not suggesting that the emissions are lessened. I'm thinking,
for example, of putting something around the flue.

I understand that the emissions are more benign that conventional boilers
(although, ironically, the pluming makes them seem otherwise). However, what
sort of damage can the emissions do to a brick wall, double glazing,
anything else?

TIA

Praful
(Remove spam-spoiler "ABC" from email address)

Peter Parry

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:48:17 +0000 (UTC), "James"
wrote:

I understand that the emissions are more benign that conventional boilers
(although, ironically, the pluming makes them seem otherwise). However, what
sort of damage can the emissions do to a brick wall, double glazing,
anything else?

None whatsoever going by the total lack of any effect around the one
used here for the last 12 years.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
John Rumm

James wrote:

I've just had installed a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler system (R29 HE).

I understand that the pluming is common (inevitable?) with condensing
boilers. There is a fair amount of pluming with the R29 HE. I've been told
by a WB engineer that this will always occur (it'll be worse the colder it
is) and indicates that the boiler is working well.

Yup - sounds right so far.

The flue cannot be moved. Is there a way a way of lessening the visual
(cosmetic) aspect of the pluming so that it doesn't look like a smoking

Light a bonfire nearby - the smoke should obscure the plume ;-)

chimney? I'm not suggesting that the emissions are lessened. I'm thinking,
for example, of putting something around the flue.

Not likely to make any difference. The flue gasses from condensing
boilers are much cooler than those emitted from conventional boilers. As
a result you tend to see the moisture content of the exhaust gas because
it will condense on contact with outside air.

I understand that the emissions are more benign that conventional boilers
(although, ironically, the pluming makes them seem otherwise). However, what
sort of damage can the emissions do to a brick wall, double glazing,
anything else?

So long as the flue has been installed correctly (should be tilted up
very slightly) then there is no risk of damage. A horizontal or downward
pointing flue could drip condensate which is slightly acidic however

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM

"James" wrote in message
[...]

If you don't like the nuisance plume, then the only alternative is to have
the boilers flue fitted through the roof, as they do in Germany. Get the
boiler moved to the loft.

Nick Brooks

IMM wrote:
"James" wrote in message

[...]

Don't move the boiler to the loft. One of the advantages of condensing
boilers is that the exhaust gasses are not hot so you can use long
plastic flues meaning the boiler doesn't have to be sited on an external
wall.

Yes condensate is slightly acidic, about the same as cola

Nick

IMM

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
IMM wrote:
"James" wrote in message

[...]

It depends on the boiler. The W-B is not one, it will have to be moved.

Nick Brooks

IMM wrote:

"James" wrote in message

[...]

According to the Worcester Bosch Installation manual available here
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/framest7.htm

" The standard Concentric flue system provides for a horizontal length
of upto 4m.

Systems are available to give a maximum horizontal lenght of 13m. A
vertical flue system upto a height of 15 meters is available"

Nick
IMM

IMM wrote:

"James" wrote in message

[...]

Not high enough to reach the roof and will be ugly outside the house.

Systems are available to give a maximum horizontal lenght of 13m. A
vertical flue system upto a height of 15 meters is available"

These are two tube setups. Once again very ugly on the outsiude of a house.

None of these are plastic. The Keston is the best for long plastic runs.

Nick Brooks

IMM wrote:

"James" wrote in message

[...]

I think you'll find that even an infinite horizontal pipe will never
reach the roof

Systems are available to give a maximum horizontal lenght of 13m. A
vertical flue system upto a height of 15 meters is available"

These are two tube setups. Once again very ugly on the outsiude of a house.

Not true - single 125mm external diameter concentric flue

None of these are plastic. The Keston is the best for long plastic runs.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/Framest4.htm
then choose "Products"
then "Greenstar HE Series"
then "Installation Information"
then "VERTICAL FLUING OPTIONS"

For more information

All condensing boilers can use plastic flues as the exhaust gasses by
definition are below 58 deg C

Nick
Christian McArdle

The flue cannot be moved. Is there a way a way of lessening the visual
(cosmetic) aspect of the pluming so that it doesn't look like a smoking
chimney?

Having previous had an Ideal Icos flued through the wall, I decided to put
by new Greenstar flue through the roof. A smoking chimney effect isn't so
disturbing up there!

I'm not suggesting that the emissions are lessened. I'm thinking,
for example, of putting something around the flue.

Don't do this. A poorly designed flue shroud could cause the boiler to
dangerously malfunction. The main way to reduce plume nuisance are to run a
long flue, so most of the water is expelled already, or to run it to where
it isn't a nuisance, like shoving a vertical terminal out the top of a
unused chimney pot.

Christian.

IMM

[...]

Concentric flue extensions are "very" expensive. The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue. Putting the boiler in the loft solves
many problems and releases space in the kitchen.

Nick Brooks

IMM wrote:
[...]

please be specific howe much exactly compared to other types

The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got a 28HE

Who said anything about drain piping, this is uk.d-i-y not uk.bodge-it

Putting the boiler in the loft solves
many problems and releases space in the kitchen.

Repeating bad advice doesn't make it more helpful or accurate
RichardS

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Moving the installation, relocating pipework and all associated disruption
and redecoration cheaper than installing a tall concentric flue? Somehow
doubt it.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .
"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Depends. It may be easy, and usually is. All the relevant pipes are
usually in the airing cupboard. Then it is a matter of taking these above
into the loft and leaving the pipes down to the existing boiler position in
place. The only problem is getting a gas pipe up there. The benefits of
having the boiler out of the way, IMHO, far outweigh other snags.

IMM

IMM wrote:
[...]

Is there a 29? The tech manual I looked at had a 28.

Who said anything about drain piping, this is uk.d-i-y not uk.bodge-it

Putting the boiler in the loft solves
many problems and releases space in the kitchen.

Repeating bad advice doesn't make it more helpful or accurate

It is clear you know little of heating. As to you knowledge of cheap
plastic drain pipes uses as flue pipes, the Keston uses plastic drain pipe
for exhaust extensions.

Tony Bryer

In article , Nick
Brooks wrote:
The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got
a 28HE

Who said anything about drain piping, this is uk.d-i-y not
uk.bodge-it

Keston (and IIRC one or two other) boilers use 50mm muPVC plastic
waste pipe for their air intake and flue. £10 or so for 4m, a
fraction of the cost of most flue extension packs.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:08:29 -0000, "RichardS" noaccess@invalid
wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Never mind about that. The principle is more important than the
practicality. :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

RichardS

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

Concentric flue extensions are "very" expensive. The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue. Putting the boiler in the loft

solves
many problems and releases space in the kitchen.

Moving the installation, relocating pipework and all associated

disruption
and redecoration cheaper than installing a tall concentric flue? Somehow
doubt it.

Never mind about that. The principle is more important than the
practicality. :-)

Quite, the one true constant in IMM's threads....

Still, I suppose that Ockham's Razor and it's derivatives are not much use
if you're not allowed to play with sharp objects.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Nick
Brooks wrote:
The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got
a 28HE

Who said anything about drain piping, this is uk.d-i-y not
uk.bodge-it

Keston (and IIRC one or two other) boilers use 50mm muPVC plastic
waste pipe for their air intake and flue. £10 or so for 4m, a
fraction of the cost of most flue extension packs.

If you use the flue extensions to their maximum length and the odd elbow,
they can cost more than the boiler.

IMM

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

Concentric flue extensions are "very" expensive. The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue. Putting the boiler in the loft

solves
many problems and releases space in the kitchen.

Moving the installation, relocating pipework and all associated

disruption
and redecoration cheaper than installing a tall concentric flue?

Somehow
doubt it.

Never mind about that. The principle is more important than the
practicality. :-)

Quite, the one true constant in IMM's threads....

You have to get the conceptual principles right, otherwise you mess it up.
Just like these no computer people who end up in IT and end up screwing
everything up. They just don't know enough.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:52:10 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Nick
Brooks wrote:
The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got
a 28HE

Who said anything about drain piping, this is uk.d-i-y not
uk.bodge-it

Keston (and IIRC one or two other) boilers use 50mm muPVC plastic
waste pipe for their air intake and flue. £10 or so for 4m, a
fraction of the cost of most flue extension packs.

Several of the German originated boilers that I looked at have a
concentric 125mm/80mm flue socket in the top. This appears to be
something of a standard.

For the MAN boiler (and I saw it for at least one other), you can get
an adaptor which plugs in in place of the concentric flue and provides
two 50mm sockets so that you can connect muPVC, Keston style.

I didn't bother because I had a simple flue run straight through the
wall.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got a 28HE

At the risk of supporting IMM on this one, AIUI, the flue options are the
same across the Greenstar range, so the exact model isn't particularly
relevent. They share the same flue part numbers and the same possibilities.

I believe the 29HE is a new heating only model, not a system type. The 28HE
is the system type. Not much difference between them, really, apart from
some missing parts. Combis are the 25HE, 30HE and various "PLUS" models.

Unfortunately, Worcester-Bosch persist in only publishing their 2 year old
manuals on the web.

Christian.

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...

The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got a 28HE

At the risk of supporting IMM on this one,

That must kill you; an amateur supporting a pro.

Christian McArdle

The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got a 28HE

At the risk of supporting IMM on this one,

That must kill you; an amateur supporting a pro.

No, obviously sometimes you say something sensible. You can't always be
wrong. Indeed, I quite like the way that there is often a kernel of an idea
in much of what you say, but it is often not thought through and you always
back yourself into a corner by not admitting which parts are sensible and
which are not, possibly not even to yourself.

Also, the tendency to believe anything said by a man in a white coat, with
no recourse to scientific evidence, is quite endearing.

Christian.

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
The 28 HE cannot use
plastic drain piping for the flue.

Very interesting but not relevant as original poster hasn't got a 28HE

At the risk of supporting IMM on this one,

That must kill you; an amateur supporting a pro.

No, obviously sometimes you say something sensible.

Like 100% of the time.

You can't always be
wrong. Indeed, I quite like the way that there is often a kernel of an

idea
in much of what you say,

You have no imagination, no creativity.

Also, the tendency to believe anything said by a man in a white coat, with
no recourse to scientific evidence, is quite endearing.

What are you on about?

Christian McArdle

You can't always be wrong. Indeed, I quite like the way that there
is often a kernel of an idea in much of what you say,

You have no imagination, no creativity.

Oh I do, which is why I love hearing of your hare-brained schemes.
Completely bonkers, most of them, but I do concede that there is much
genuine creativity in there.

Christian.

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
You can't always be wrong. Indeed, I quite like the way that there
is often a kernel of an idea in much of what you say,

You have no imagination, no creativity.

Oh I do,

No you don't.

Christian McArdle

Oh I do,

No you don't.

Oh yes I do!

(How long does this bit go on for?)

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:52:01 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Oh I do,

No you don't.

Oh yes I do!

(How long does this bit go on for?)

Christian.

It's behind you !!

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Praful

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The boiler is in the kitchen of a ground floor flat. There is no chance of
running the flue to the roof. There is no loft to move it too either. It
looks like I (and the neighbours) will have to put up with it.

It's a shame WB don't also provide a flue shroud (or something else) to help
lessen the effect of the plume. Lots of people have been staring at the
plume - and, judging by their expressions, I think the thing going through
their minds is "I'm not buying one of those boilers!". It is a PR disaster
but I guess over time people will get used to it.

Regards
[...]

John Rumm

Praful wrote:

It's a shame WB don't also provide a flue shroud (or something else) to help
lessen the effect of the plume. Lots of people have been staring at the
plume - and, judging by their expressions, I think the thing going through
their minds is "I'm not buying one of those boilers!". It is a PR disaster
but I guess over time people will get used to it.

Na - in time it will become a status thing ;-) You can see it now -
people offering a steam injection kit for boiler flues so that you too
can look like you have a condensing boiler....

--
Cheers,

John.