John Rumm

Default Condensing boilers and pluming

James wrote:

I've just had installed a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler system (R29 HE).

I understand that the pluming is common (inevitable?) with condensing
boilers. There is a fair amount of pluming with the R29 HE. I've been told
by a WB engineer that this will always occur (it'll be worse the colder it
is) and indicates that the boiler is working well.

Yup - sounds right so far.

The flue cannot be moved. Is there a way a way of lessening the visual
(cosmetic) aspect of the pluming so that it doesn't look like a smoking

Light a bonfire nearby - the smoke should obscure the plume ;-)

chimney? I'm not suggesting that the emissions are lessened. I'm thinking,
for example, of putting something around the flue.

Not likely to make any difference. The flue gasses from condensing
boilers are much cooler than those emitted from conventional boilers. As
a result you tend to see the moisture content of the exhaust gas because
it will condense on contact with outside air.

I understand that the emissions are more benign that conventional boilers
(although, ironically, the pluming makes them seem otherwise). However, what
sort of damage can the emissions do to a brick wall, double glazing,
anything else?

So long as the flue has been installed correctly (should be tilted up
very slightly) then there is no risk of damage. A horizontal or downward
pointing flue could drip condensate which is slightly acidic however

--
Cheers,

John.