Aenuff

Default Airlock in pipework?

I have been told that I have an airlock in a cold pipe... here are the
symptoms...

Open the tap and it runs a normal pressure (tank fed) for about 30 seconds
then reduces to a dribble then almost nothing. Leave for ten minutes and it
does the same. As mentioned this cold tap is tank fed and it is (to date)
not been possible to trace the pipe. I cannot lift boards as the flooring is
stuck down, the feed comes from 4 huge tanks on the top floor with old lead
pipes reducing somewhere to 22mm copper before it gets to the tap.

Is there a trick I can use?

Tony

The Natural Philosopher

Aenuff wrote:

I have been told that I have an airlock in a cold pipe... here are the
symptoms...

Open the tap and it runs a normal pressure (tank fed) for about 30 seconds
then reduces to a dribble then almost nothing. Leave for ten minutes and it
does the same. As mentioned this cold tap is tank fed and it is (to date)
not been possible to trace the pipe. I cannot lift boards as the flooring is
stuck down, the feed comes from 4 huge tanks on the top floor with old lead
pipes reducing somewhere to 22mm copper before it gets to the tap.

Is there a trick I can use?

Yes. get tow decent hose to tap connectors, and a length of hose.

Connect one end to youir kitchen tap which should be on mains pressure

Connect the oher to teh problem tap, and open both.

The mains pressure will blow the air back to the tank. If you overdo it
you will blow water there as well, and flood it, be careful

Anoher trick is to suck at teh tap that doesn't work.

Tony

Ian Stirling

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Aenuff wrote:

snip
Is there a trick I can use?

Yes. get tow decent hose to tap connectors, and a length of hose.

Connect one end to youir kitchen tap which should be on mains pressure

Connect the oher to teh problem tap, and open both.

The mains pressure will blow the air back to the tank. If you overdo it
you will blow water there as well, and flood it, be careful

Anoher trick is to suck at teh tap that doesn't work.

A wet-dry vacuum cleaner can be useful, if you don't want to swallow
lots of water.

Shower Pump Pipework Justin UK diy 1 February 16th 04 11:21 PM
Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework David Hearn UK diy 5 February 5th 04 04:41 PM
Gas Combi Boiler Pressure Relief Pipework & Building Regs Mitch UK diy 8 December 7th 03 11:11 AM
Airlock in heat exchanger ? Bolton UK diy 1 November 4th 03 08:32 PM
How do you solder pipework which is at the lowest point of the circuit? PoP UK diy 12 October 2nd 03 07:17 AM