Mitch

Default Gas Combi Boiler Pressure Relief Pipework & Building Regs

I had a gas safety check on a Bosch 24i combi and the man said that the
pressure relief pipework was sub-standard as it simply runs from the boiler
to the floor with the exit inside rather than an external exit.

Can someone please tell me what the Building Regs require as I am thinking
of correcting this myself (especially as the main work is do drill a hole)?
EG is it 15mm or 22mm pipe, what are restrictions on the exit, such as is it
downward facing etc etc.

Also where could I read or access these regs?

I even have the original Bosch Installation instructions but they dont
mention this pipework beyond the boiler

Thanks

Simon

John Stumbles

"Mitch" wrote in message
I had a gas safety check on a Bosch 24i combi and the man said that the
pressure relief pipework was sub-standard as it simply runs from the

boiler
to the floor with the exit inside rather than an external exit.

Can someone please tell me what the Building Regs require as I am thinking
of correcting this myself (especially as the main work is do drill a

hole)?
EG is it 15mm or 22mm pipe, what are restrictions on the exit, such as is

it
downward facing etc etc.

Also where could I read or access these regs?

I don't know which regs cover it - it certainly should be in the
manufacturer's installation instructions - but it should terminate outside a
few inches from, and facing, the ground; so that if/when the pressure relief
valve opens the blast of potentially boiling water + steam can hit the
ground without injuring anyone. 15mm is generally used.

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Kalico

"Mitch" wrote in message
I had a gas safety check on a Bosch 24i combi and the man said that the
pressure relief pipework was sub-standard as it simply runs from the

boiler
to the floor with the exit inside rather than an external exit.

Can someone please tell me what the Building Regs require as I am thinking
of correcting this myself (especially as the main work is do drill a

hole)?
EG is it 15mm or 22mm pipe, what are restrictions on the exit, such as is

it
downward facing etc etc.

Also where could I read or access these regs?

I even have the original Bosch Installation instructions but they dont
mention this pipework beyond the boiler

Thanks

Simon

It is 15mm pipe and easy enough to do yourself. The pipe runs outside then
is supposed to go to within a few inches of the ground, but if the boiler is
high up in your building, that may not be practicle, so use common sense
that any escaping HOT water will not spray over anyone below.
HTH
ROb

BillR

John Stumbles wrote:
"Mitch" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, they are normally 15mm. The hole should be drilled so there is a slight
slope downwards from inside to outside.
On the outside its normal for the outlet to be turned back towards the wall
with say a 90 and a 45 degree bends.
This is to avoid scalding anybody who may be near the outlet when the relief
valve lifts.

andrewpreece

"Mitch" wrote in message
I had a gas safety check on a Bosch 24i combi and the man said that the
pressure relief pipework was sub-standard as it simply runs from the

boiler
to the floor with the exit inside rather than an external exit.

Can someone please tell me what the Building Regs require as I am thinking
of correcting this myself (especially as the main work is do drill a

hole)?
EG is it 15mm or 22mm pipe, what are restrictions on the exit, such as is

it
downward facing etc etc.

Also where could I read or access these regs?

I even have the original Bosch Installation instructions but they dont
mention this pipework beyond the boiler

Thanks

Simon

Don't know about regs but my Vaillant (28kW) instructions say that it must
vent
outside, must be as short as possible, not lesss than 15mm diameter, with a
continuous fall away from the boiler [ since it doesn't specify a slope, in
effect
I took it to mean that the pipe shouldn't actually go uphill at any point ],
that the
vent should terminate in a position which would not cause a hazard to
persons
due to discharge of water or steam, nor cause damage to any electrical
components
or external wiring, and the point of discharge should be clearly visible.

My old combi position was a first floor bedroom, and the vent
exited the
cavity wall horizontally about 20 feet up. I've just installed a new combi
in my
old outside loo and have the discharge pipe exit the wall, and immediately
turn
through 90 degrees and discharge into a gully at the side of the house.

Andy

IMM

"John Stumbles" ] wrote in message
"Mitch" wrote in message
[...]

Not quite. 15mm pipe, outside at a low level and the pipe being turned into
the wall using an elbow. If boiling water/steam is lets off it hits the
wall. The pipe need not be sleeved going through the wall.

---

IMM

"Mitch" wrote in message
[...]

Also you can terminate inside a garage (integral garage or not). There
again at low level and the pipe turning into the wall. It can terminate
onto a flat roof too, one gains at low level and turning into the wall.

---

IMM

"Mitch" wrote in message

Thanks for advice - let the drilling commence!

The pipe can drop down inside and penetrate the wall at low level to the
outside. External pipes can look very ugly.

---

Replacing Pressure relief valve on Baxi Boiler Andy UK diy 0 November 27th 03 02:59 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Combi Boiler / poor pressure brucej UK diy 12 August 21st 03 08:55 PM
Automatic water pressure maintainer for combi boiler system? Frank W UK diy 12 August 20th 03 11:22 PM