andrewpreece

Default Gas Combi Boiler Pressure Relief Pipework & Building Regs

"Mitch" wrote in message
I had a gas safety check on a Bosch 24i combi and the man said that the
pressure relief pipework was sub-standard as it simply runs from the

boiler
to the floor with the exit inside rather than an external exit.

Can someone please tell me what the Building Regs require as I am thinking
of correcting this myself (especially as the main work is do drill a

hole)?
EG is it 15mm or 22mm pipe, what are restrictions on the exit, such as is

it
downward facing etc etc.

Also where could I read or access these regs?

I even have the original Bosch Installation instructions but they dont
mention this pipework beyond the boiler

Thanks

Simon

Don't know about regs but my Vaillant (28kW) instructions say that it must
vent
outside, must be as short as possible, not lesss than 15mm diameter, with a
continuous fall away from the boiler [ since it doesn't specify a slope, in
effect
I took it to mean that the pipe shouldn't actually go uphill at any point ],
that the
vent should terminate in a position which would not cause a hazard to
persons
due to discharge of water or steam, nor cause damage to any electrical
components
or external wiring, and the point of discharge should be clearly visible.

My old combi position was a first floor bedroom, and the vent
exited the
cavity wall horizontally about 20 feet up. I've just installed a new combi
in my
old outside loo and have the discharge pipe exit the wall, and immediately
turn
through 90 degrees and discharge into a gully at the side of the house.

Andy