DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Airlock in pipework? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6891-airlock-pipework.html)

Aenuff March 10th 04 03:26 PM

Airlock in pipework?

I have been told that I have an airlock in a cold pipe... here are the
symptoms...

Open the tap and it runs a normal pressure (tank fed) for about 30 seconds
then reduces to a dribble then almost nothing. Leave for ten minutes and it
does the same. As mentioned this cold tap is tank fed and it is (to date)
not been possible to trace the pipe. I cannot lift boards as the flooring is
stuck down, the feed comes from 4 huge tanks on the top floor with old lead
pipes reducing somewhere to 22mm copper before it gets to the tap.

Is there a trick I can use?

Tony

The Natural Philosopher March 10th 04 03:41 PM

Airlock in pipework?

Aenuff wrote:

I have been told that I have an airlock in a cold pipe... here are the
symptoms...

Open the tap and it runs a normal pressure (tank fed) for about 30 seconds
then reduces to a dribble then almost nothing. Leave for ten minutes and it
does the same. As mentioned this cold tap is tank fed and it is (to date)
not been possible to trace the pipe. I cannot lift boards as the flooring is
stuck down, the feed comes from 4 huge tanks on the top floor with old lead
pipes reducing somewhere to 22mm copper before it gets to the tap.

Is there a trick I can use?

Yes. get tow decent hose to tap connectors, and a length of hose.

Connect one end to youir kitchen tap which should be on mains pressure

Connect the oher to teh problem tap, and open both.

The mains pressure will blow the air back to the tank. If you overdo it
you will blow water there as well, and flood it, be careful

Anoher trick is to suck at teh tap that doesn't work.

Tony

Ian Stirling March 10th 04 04:15 PM

Airlock in pipework?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Aenuff wrote:

snip
Is there a trick I can use?

Yes. get tow decent hose to tap connectors, and a length of hose.

Connect one end to youir kitchen tap which should be on mains pressure

Connect the oher to teh problem tap, and open both.

The mains pressure will blow the air back to the tank. If you overdo it
you will blow water there as well, and flood it, be careful

Anoher trick is to suck at teh tap that doesn't work.

A wet-dry vacuum cleaner can be useful, if you don't want to swallow
lots of water.