David Hearn

Default Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework

I may have to connect some new copper pipework to older steel (I think)
threaded pipes.

Not having dealt with this old type of pipework before, is this an easy
thing to do? I'm hoping that it might be the 1/2" BSP thread that I've seen
on some connectors.

Assuming it is the right fitting, is there any issues with putting brass
couplings onto copper and steel pipes?

Is there anything special to have to be done with screw thread pipework when
its for gas piping? (Gas PTFE tape?)

Thanks

David

Andrew Mawson

"David Hearn" wrote in message
I may have to connect some new copper pipework to older steel (I think)
threaded pipes.

Not having dealt with this old type of pipework before, is this an easy
thing to do? I'm hoping that it might be the 1/2" BSP thread that I've

seen
on some connectors.

Assuming it is the right fitting, is there any issues with putting brass
couplings onto copper and steel pipes?

Is there anything special to have to be done with screw thread pipework

when
its for gas piping? (Gas PTFE tape?)

Thanks

David

Yes it'll be BSP - probably either 1/2" or 3/4". Personally I prefer to run
gas in black iron pipe - far less chance of someone putting a nail through
it in the future if in copper. At least with a water pipe it usually shows
imediately, and doesn't cause explosions !

Andrew Mawson

John

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

[...]

Brass to steel will be ok as a buffer between the copper pipe and steel
pipe, but don't use copper straight to steel or you run the risk of galvanic
corrosion slowly eating away at the metal. Gas grade PTFE (yellow reel) or
Rocol Gastite paste (which I prefer) applied to the threads before screwing
together will seal the connection. It is very important that you carry out a
proper soundness test on completion of the pipework but before the
application of any protective wrapping or\ coating.

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:11:19 +0000, David Hearn wrote:

I may have to connect some new copper pipework to older steel (I think)
threaded pipes.

Yes.

Not having dealt with this old type of pipework before, is this an easy
thing to do? I'm hoping that it might be the 1/2" BSP thread that I've seen
on some connectors.

Almost certainly.

Assuming it is the right fitting, is there any issues with putting brass
couplings onto copper and steel pipes?

No. Use boss white.

Is there anything special to have to be done with screw thread pipework when
its for gas piping? (Gas PTFE tape?)

See the FAQ. Boss white will serve you well.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andy Hall

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:48:26 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:11:19 +0000, David Hearn wrote:

I may have to connect some new copper pipework to older steel (I think)
threaded pipes.

Yes.

Not having dealt with this old type of pipework before, is this an easy
thing to do? I'm hoping that it might be the 1/2" BSP thread that I've seen
on some connectors.

Almost certainly.

Assuming it is the right fitting, is there any issues with putting brass
couplings onto copper and steel pipes?

No. Use boss white.

Is there anything special to have to be done with screw thread pipework when
its for gas piping? (Gas PTFE tape?)

See the FAQ. Boss white will serve you well.

Smells great too..... :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Christian McArdle

See the FAQ. Boss white will serve you well.

Smells great too..... :-)

Especially when used with hemp. ;-)

Christian.