T i m

Default Screwfix garage RCD CU quick q please

Hi All,

I did mix this Q up with other questions earlier but I'd like an
answer to this one now if possible please?

The little 1 x RCD + 2 x MCB 24.99 'garage CU' sold by Screwfix.

Are the modules on a std rail so that I could move them onto a bigger
CU later if needed (or not which would explain why it is so cheap
...?).

All the best ..

T i m
Scott M

T i m wrote:

The little 1 x RCD + 2 x MCB 24.99 'garage CU' sold by Screwfix.

Are the modules on a std rail so that I could move them onto a bigger
CU later if needed (or not which would explain why it is so cheap
..?).

I needed an MCB recently and bought one I'd seen in a B&Q bargain bin.
It was a different make to the box but seemed the same size, shape &
layout so I got it for £4. When I came to install it I found that it
wasn't quite right. The busbar tongue was slightly wider than the new
MCB was expecting and slightly offset forwards but the mounting clip at
the back was compatible. Ten minutes with a file and the pliers/vice
soon made the bar fit though.

--
Scott

Rick Dipper

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:11:56 GMT, Scott M wrote:
T i m wrote:

The little 1 x RCD + 2 x MCB 24.99 'garage CU' sold by Screwfix.

Are the modules on a std rail so that I could move them onto a bigger
CU later if needed (or not which would explain why it is so cheap
..?).

I needed an MCB recently and bought one I'd seen in a B&Q bargain bin.
It was a different make to the box but seemed the same size, shape &
layout so I got it for £4. When I came to install it I found that it
wasn't quite right. The busbar tongue was slightly wider than the new
MCB was expecting and slightly offset forwards but the mounting clip at
the back was compatible. Ten minutes with a file and the pliers/vice
soon made the bar fit though.

--
Scott

I had the same experience with this product ...........

Rick

Lurch

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:04:25 +0000, in uk.d-i-y T i m
strung together this:

Hi All,

I did mix this Q up with other questions earlier but I'd like an
answer to this one now if possible please?

The little 1 x RCD + 2 x MCB 24.99 'garage CU' sold by Screwfix.

Are the modules on a std rail so that I could move them onto a bigger
CU later if needed (or not which would explain why it is so cheap
..?).

All depends which CU you're moving them into. CU's have varying busbar
arrangements, some fit others and some don't.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:47:26 +0000, in uk.d-i-y T i m
strung together this:

I think he said it was a 'Clipseal'

Clipsal

one? It has a little hinged
sideways opening door and seems water restistant (rubber seals
everywhere).

1 x RCD (30A? 30mA)
1 x 16 MCB
1 x 6 MCB.

If I was to get the Screwfix one for *my* garage could I replace the
16A MCB for a 32A one?

Yep, assuming you've got the correct power into the unit and a 40A
RCD, you can change it. I'd check what you've got though, Clipsal do
25A and 40A units.
I've found that Proteus, (CEF's own brand), MCB's fit the Clipsal
garage units if the Clipsal MCB's prove troublesome to source.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:25:00 +0000, in uk.d-i-y T i m
strung together this:

If I was to get the Screwfix one for *my* garage could I replace the
16A MCB for a 32A one?

Yep, assuming you've got the correct power into the unit and a 40A
RCD, you can change it.

Ok .. Em, 'correct power into the unit'?

More than 32A. It'd be pointless upgrading the MCB if there isn't any
more power in the garage than say 20A from the house.

I'd check what you've got though, Clipsal do
25A and 40A units.

Ok, possibly 25A then .. I'll check tomorrow .. Is there much between
this Clipsal and the Volex one ?

Not really, they both do what they say on the tin. Both cheap units
for sticking in a garage or similar.

I've found that Proteus, (CEF's own brand), MCB's fit the Clipsal
garage units if the Clipsal MCB's prove troublesome to source.

Cheers, that's handy to know ... so, not all din rail mounted modules
are created equal ..? ;-)

Not all, some are the same\similar. Some are totally way out.

Oh. I noticed the SWA that currently goes into the fused metal switch
box (in Dad's garage) is twin core and I assume 'only' uses the armour
for the earth conductor (no sign of any additional rods etc) The new
CU is plastic cased so I assume I will have to get a new gland (or
re-use this one (?)) and an earthing washer / ring and solder / screw
a tail to it and up to the earth bar?

A 'banjo', (or earth tag), is what you want. It's like a washer with
a 20mm hole with a tag\ear on the side through which, (and the
enclosure), a nut and bolt is placed with a crimp.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:23:25 +0000, in uk.d-i-y T i m
strung together this:

Ok, possibly 25A then .. I'll check tomorrow .. Is there much between
this Clipsal and the Volex one ?

Not really, they both do what they say on the tin. Both cheap units
for sticking in a garage or similar.

Ok, given more money and ignoring the number of ways / split etc, what
would *you* choose?

I've always used the Clipsal ones as they seem to be the ones stocked
by all my wholesalers. I can't see a problem with the Volex one, but
the Volex name has always been synonymous with rougharses. So the
Clipsal it is then.

The new
CU is plastic cased so I assume I will have to get a new gland (or
re-use this one (?)) and an earthing washer / ring and solder / screw
a tail to it and up to the earth bar?

A 'banjo', (or earth tag), is what you want.

Doh! And I wonder what it looks like!

Oh, and I've just noticed I missed a question. I'd re-use the old
gland.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Screwfix PoP UK diy 28 March 12th 04 09:19 PM
Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Quick and easy garage insulation? R P McMurphey UK diy 5 February 4th 04 12:04 PM
Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection) Andrew Welham UK diy 12 January 3rd 04 10:12 AM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM