Lurch

Default Screwfix garage RCD CU quick q please

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:25:00 +0000, in uk.d-i-y T i m
strung together this:

If I was to get the Screwfix one for *my* garage could I replace the
16A MCB for a 32A one?

Yep, assuming you've got the correct power into the unit and a 40A
RCD, you can change it.

Ok .. Em, 'correct power into the unit'?

More than 32A. It'd be pointless upgrading the MCB if there isn't any
more power in the garage than say 20A from the house.

I'd check what you've got though, Clipsal do
25A and 40A units.

Ok, possibly 25A then .. I'll check tomorrow .. Is there much between
this Clipsal and the Volex one ?

Not really, they both do what they say on the tin. Both cheap units
for sticking in a garage or similar.

I've found that Proteus, (CEF's own brand), MCB's fit the Clipsal
garage units if the Clipsal MCB's prove troublesome to source.

Cheers, that's handy to know ... so, not all din rail mounted modules
are created equal ..? ;-)

Not all, some are the same\similar. Some are totally way out.

Oh. I noticed the SWA that currently goes into the fused metal switch
box (in Dad's garage) is twin core and I assume 'only' uses the armour
for the earth conductor (no sign of any additional rods etc) The new
CU is plastic cased so I assume I will have to get a new gland (or
re-use this one (?)) and an earthing washer / ring and solder / screw
a tail to it and up to the earth bar?

A 'banjo', (or earth tag), is what you want. It's like a washer with
a 20mm hole with a tag\ear on the side through which, (and the
enclosure), a nut and bolt is placed with a crimp.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.