Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outside light problem

I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and
it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and
it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Isolate the circuit, then check for continuity between the broken one and
a good one, on both L&N individually. Are they looped in and out? A
multimeter might still show 240v with a slightly iffy connection.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2021 16:19, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

I bet that 240V drops almost to zero when there's a load (such as a bulb).

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2021 16:19, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and
it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Corrosion on a contact or junction
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jack Harry Teesdale" wrote in message
I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and it
works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder, so
not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Its a bad joint somewhere. It will deliver the very
low current the multimeter needs but not the full
current the bulb needs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 05:30:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:

I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and
it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Isolate the circuit, then check for continuity between the broken one and
a good one, on both L&N individually. Are they looped in and out? A
multimeter might still show 240v with a slightly iffy connection.

I've found that modern bulbs sometimes have contacts that are not as
tall, so when inserted they don't reach the ones in the socket.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and
it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Isolate the circuit, then check for continuity between the broken one and
a good one, on both L&N individually. Are they looped in and out? A
multimeter might still show 240v with a slightly iffy connection.

I've found that modern bulbs sometimes have contacts that are not as
tall, so when inserted they don't reach the ones in the socket.

Doesn't explain why that bulb STOPPED WORKING
but still works fine in other sockets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2021 16:54, williamwright wrote:
On 01/06/2021 16:19, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the
lampholder, so not a broken neutral.

I bet that 240V drops almost to zero when there's a load (such as a bulb).

That was my thought, perhaps a poor connection through corrosion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this voltage there when the bulb that is good is in? I'd suspect not.
Then its just a case of looking backwards to find where it goes away. Rodent
damage perhaps? Loose Connection block somewhere?. If that does turn out to
be the case, check any others to save time later on.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jack Harry Teesdale" wrote in message
I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and it
works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder, so
not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 01:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

What bulb connector type is it? i.e. MR16? SBC? BC? GU10? ES? SES?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 10:07:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I've found that modern bulbs sometimes have contacts that are not as
tall, so when inserted they don't reach the ones in the socket.

Doesn't explain why that bulb STOPPED WORKING
but still works fine in other sockets.

It WOULD explain it, if for some (not yet known) reason the contacts didn't
reach the ones in the specific socket. Actually that's what sometimes
happens and can sometimes (and sometimes not) be corrected by screwing in
the lamp with extreme force, you pathological senile know-it-all.

--
Richard about senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

BC and i've tried several 'good' bulbs of differing wattages but no light!

I'll be checking for circuit continuity today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 08:41, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes , but this one had been working fine had it not?
Brian

Previously, yes and the same bulb still works in a different fitting.

It's looking like the problem is with the circuit continuity to the fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

Aha....... I think I know what the problem is.......

The BC pins in the bulb holder are spring loaded and comprises of a top
cylinder sitting within a slightly larger bottom cylinder.

When you insert a bulb, the two cylinders are then compressed and is
under spring tension.

Sometimes the two cylinders on one of the pins corrode and stick in a
closed position. So when you insert a bulb, the stick pin no longer
touches the bottom of the bulb but there is 220V present on the pins itself.

Turn the power off and and try working loose the stuck pin, and
lubricate with WD40 or replace with a new BC fitting.

BC pin corrosion is common in outdoor light fittings.... :-)

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

Thanks but i've already fitted a brand new lamp holder (as mentioned in
my original post) but the light still doesn't work.

I think it's a circuit continuity problem which i am checking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

have you checked the pins of the new lamp holder AND also the two
captive catches on the circuference? occasionally one side chips off
resulting in the bulb leaning at an angle in the holder being held by
only one side pin instead of both pins.

You could also create a dummy load tester by copnnecting a pair of test
leads to a knwon good bulb holder and known good bulb.

Test this on a known good lamp holder and then text sgain on the lamp
holder you wish to test.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

Done all that thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 08:39, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Is this voltage there when the bulb that is good is in? I'd suspect not.
Then its just a case of looking backwards to find where it goes away. Rodent
damage perhaps? Loose Connection block somewhere?. If that does turn out to
be the case, check any others to save time later on.

Brian

I couldn't find what the fault was so i bypassed that section of cable
and hey presto the light is now working again.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Jack Harry