Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Outside light problem

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights. (fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another source and
it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Isolate the circuit, then check for continuity between the broken one and
a good one, on both L&N individually. Are they looped in and out? A
multimeter might still show 240v with a slightly iffy connection.

I've found that modern bulbs sometimes have contacts that are not as
tall, so when inserted they don't reach the ones in the socket.

Doesn't explain why that bulb STOPPED WORKING
but still works fine in other sockets.