Posted to uk.d-i-y
SH[_4_] SH[_4_] is offline

Default Outside light problem

On 02/06/2021 11:59, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 02/06/2021 11:39, SH wrote:
On 02/06/2021 11:24, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 02/06/2021 08:52, SH wrote:
On 02/06/2021 01:07, Rod Speed wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:39:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â* Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
I have a series of 8 mains voltage outside bulkhead type lights.
(fixed
under the soffits).

One stopped working so i duly had the cover off and replaced the
lamp. The light did not come on. Tested the lamp in another
source and
it works OK, so not that.

I changed the lamp holder and tried again, still not working.

I have tested with my multimeter and get approx 240v at the
lampholder,
so not a broken neutral.

All the other 7 lights are working OK.

Any suggestions/solutions to try?

Isolate the circuit, then check for continuity between the broken
one and
a good one, on both L&N individually. Are they looped in and out? A
multimeter might still show 240v with a slightly iffy connection.

I've found that modern bulbs sometimes have contacts that are not as
tall, so when inserted they don't reach the ones in the socket.

Doesn't explain why that bulb STOPPED WORKING
but still works fine in other sockets.

What bulb connector type is it? i.e. MR16? SBC? BC? GU10? ES? SES?

BC and i've tried several 'good' bulbs of differing wattages but no
light!

I'll be checking for circuit continuity today.

Aha....... I think I know what the problem is.......

The BC pins in the bulb holder are spring loaded and comprises of a
top cylinder sitting within a slightly larger bottom cylinder.

When you insert a bulb, the two cylinders are then compressed and is
under spring tension.

Sometimes the two cylinders on one of the pins corrode and stick in a
closed position. So when you insert a bulb, the stick pin no longer
touches the bottom of the bulb but there is 220V present on the pins
itself.

Turn the power off and and try working loose the stuck pin, and
lubricate with WD40 or replace with a new BC fitting.

BC pin corrosion is common in outdoor light fittings.... :-)

S.

Thanks but i've already fitted a brand new lamp holder (as mentioned in
my original post) but the light still doesn't work.

I think it's a circuit continuity problem which i am checking.

have you checked the pins of the new lamp holder AND also the two
captive catches on the circuference? occasionally one side chips off
resulting in the bulb leaning at an angle in the holder being held by
only one side pin instead of both pins.

You could also create a dummy load tester by copnnecting a pair of test
leads to a knwon good bulb holder and known good bulb.

Test this on a known good lamp holder and then text sgain on the lamp
holder you wish to test.