Default Problem with Light Sensitive Outdoor Light

We have an outdoor light that is light sensitive and supposed to come
on at dusk. It doesn't come on at all. It takes Philips PL-S 13 watt
fluorescent bulbs.

I removed the light bulb and used a multimeter to check the voltage at
the terminals with the light switched on. It was 0 until I put my hand
over the light sensor. When I put my hand over the light sensor, it
went up to 120 v. (I live in the US.) This suggests that the bulb is
the problem. However we replaced the bulb and the light still does not
come on. The multimeter gives a resistance of (Huge number) ohms
across the terminals of the bulb but this may be because it is a
fluouescent bulb and would have virtually no conductivity if not
attached to a power source. I would certainly appreciate any
suggestions one might have to resolve this problem.

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.

RBM

It sounds like the photocell is working, and as you tried a new lamp, it
seems like the ballast transformer is probably bad, which probably means
your best recourse is to get a new fixture

oups.com...

changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch Phil Anderson Home Repair 35 January 26th 04 12:36 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Touch sensitive Light switch for bathroom BigWallop UK diy 9 October 28th 03 07:38 PM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM