Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cut gas pipe

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred pretended :
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it was in
error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

Perhaps a bit of plumbing or heating - a copper gas pipe looks
identical to a water pipe.

Maybe a case for a regulation suggesting gas pipes out to be clearly
identified, as they often are on commercial premises?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 03:48:48 -0700, fred wrote:

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

Too early to assume that it wasn't a suicide or homicide?

I haven't seen any information on which gas pipe was cut, and if it was on
the supply side or near a domestic appliance such as a stove or boiler or
heater.

You would expect a distinct smell of gas immediately if a pipe connected
directly to the mains had been cut.

On the other hand if it was, for example, between a gas tap and an
appliance such as a gas fire any unusual gas smell might be missed because
it was expected.

Equally, was it a very minor nick in a pipe which allowed gas to
accumulate over time or a major cut providing a swift and noticeable flow
of gas?

So many questions, so little information....

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

"criminal investigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/24/lancashire-gas-explosion-that-killed-two-year-old-caused-by-cut-gas-pipe
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/05/2021 12:37, Andy Burns wrote:
fred wrote:

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

"criminal investigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/24/lancashire-gas-explosion-that-killed-two-year-old-caused-by-cut-gas-pipe

Criminal investigation - the police might have in mind Gross Negligence
Manslaughter, for example.

Seeing as how the people who lived in the house are still in a critical
condition, there may never be any prosecution. And, what would it
achieve anyway?

Bearing in mind that the explosion was at 2AM, the most likely scenario
is a very small nick in the pipe that let gas accumulate once everyone
had gone to bed. I take my hat off to anyone able to work out the cause
of the explosion in that wreckage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 12:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
fred pretended :
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

Perhaps a bit of plumbing or heating - a copper gas pipe looks identical
to a water pipe.

Other options are an attempted insurance job or destroying the house to
prevent it falling into the hands of an ex. I'm sure there are many more.

Maybe a case for a regulation suggesting gas pipes out to be clearly
identified, as they often are on commercial premises?

Possibly, although it's easy enough to identify in many houses - with
gas coming straight through the wall to the meter and then from there
usually only going to the living-room fire, the cooker in the kitchen
and the boiler (often in the kitchen), with the latter two often a
single run. No gas upstairs and, in a house with suspended floors, the
route of each pipe downstairs can be clearly seen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May 2021 at 12:52:42 BST, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

[...]

It is a shock in a 1920s house to cut a thin walled 1/2" lead pipe under the
upstairs floorboards and find it is still connected to the gas supply. DAMHIKT
Not sure how many of the 3/8" lead pipes embedded in the plaster and folded
over at the end were still connected as the supply from the meter was replaced
at that point. The strange thing was that the pipe out of the meter was
already copper and it was not immediately obvious where it was connected to
the old lead.
--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

my parents' house had gas upstairs for the over basin water heater in two
bedrooms.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

"criminal investigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/24/lancashire-gas-explosion-that-killed-two-year-old-caused-by-cut-gas-pipe

Criminal investigation - the police might have in mind Gross Negligence
Manslaughter, for example.

Seeing as how the people who lived in the house are still in a critical
condition, there may never be any prosecution. And, what would it
achieve anyway?

Bearing in mind that the explosion was at 2AM, the most likely scenario
is a very small nick in the pipe that let gas accumulate once everyone
had gone to bed. I take my hat off to anyone able to work out the cause
of the explosion in that wreckage.

ISTR that the cut pipe was next door - *not* in the house where the
little boy was killed.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

"criminal investigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/24/lancashire-gas-explosion-that-killed-two-year-old-caused-by-cut-gas-pipe

Criminal investigation - the police might have in mind Gross Negligence
Manslaughter, for example.

Seeing as how the people who lived in the house are still in a critical
condition, there may never be any prosecution. And, what would it
achieve anyway?

Bearing in mind that the explosion was at 2AM, the most likely scenario
is a very small nick in the pipe that let gas accumulate once everyone
had gone to bed. I take my hat off to anyone able to work out the cause
of the explosion in that wreckage.

Copper melts at a very high temperature, I'm sure a nick in a pipe would
remain visible.

Perhaps gas bubble testers should be mandatory?

I disturbed a lead pipe carrying gas some years ago which created a leak.

Thankfully the floorboards were up and I could smell the gas a few hours
later, to discover the sweated T-joint was poor quality and could see a
small gap between the pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 13:18, charles wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

The place I grew up in (built late 19th century) had gas pipes embedded
in most of the walls for gas lighting.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

[...]

I did that by hammering a floor board nail in one side of a pipe and out
of the other :-)

(Mother had just had all the gas pipes replaced, and I was going round
re-fixing the floor boards. One board was a bit mangled in the corner,
so I nailed nearer the middle of the board. That went in rather too
easily. Only then did it occur to me why - the new pipes were not
beneath the suspended floor, but sat in notches in the top of the
joists, and in this case parallel to the floor board)

Thankfully the floorboards were up and I could smell the gas a few hours
later, to discover the sweated T-joint was poor quality and could see a
small gap between the pipes.

Listening carefully for the faint hiss, followed by a small of gas was
enough evidence in this case.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

[...]

and you looked sooo innocent in your recent pic.

(Mother had just had all the gas pipes replaced, and I was going round
re-fixing the floor boards. One board was a bit mangled in the corner,
so I nailed nearer the middle of the board. That went in rather too
easily. Only then did it occur to me why - the new pipes were not
beneath the suspended floor, but sat in notches in the top of the
joists, and in this case parallel to the floor board)

Thankfully the floorboards were up and I could smell the gas a few
hours later, to discover the sweated T-joint was poor quality and
could see a small gap between the pipes.

Listening carefully for the faint hiss, followed by a small of gas was
enough evidence in this case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 14:52:45 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The place I grew up in (built late 19th century) had gas pipes embedded
in most of the walls for gas lighting.

Our house is 1903. There are still lead pipes in some of the walls. I
removed the right angle pieces sticking out of the wall (they aren't
capped and are definitely not live).

THe only live pipe in the house is copper, circa 1988. One to the boiler,
and one to near a fireplace (now capped).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 15:06, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2021 14:52:45 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

The place I grew up in (built late 19th century) had gas pipes embedded
in most of the walls for gas lighting.

Our house is 1903. There are still lead pipes in some of the walls. I
removed the right angle pieces sticking out of the wall (they aren't
capped and are definitely not live).

THe only live pipe in the house is copper, circa 1988. One to the boiler,
and one to near a fireplace (now capped).

Would the scrap value of the lead be worth more than the cost
of redecorating after removing it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 13:07, Roger Hayter wrote:

It is a shock in a 1920s house to cut a thin walled 1/2" lead pipe under the
upstairs floorboards and find it is still connected to the gas supply.

My 1908 house originally had lead water pipes and iron gas pipes.

The copper gas in my house now has yellow tape with gas written on it.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hayes-uk-...m-x-50mm/2504j

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

[...]

I probably was then :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 13:07, Roger Hayter wrote:

It is a shock in a 1920s house to cut a thin walled 1/2" lead pipe under the
upstairs floorboards and find it is still connected to the gas supply. DAMHIKT
Not sure how many of the 3/8" lead pipes embedded in the plaster and folded
over at the end were still connected as the supply from the meter was replaced
at that point. The strange thing was that the pipe out of the meter was
already copper and it was not immediately obvious where it was connected to
the old lead.

In my parents' turn-of-the-last century house, when my Dad decided to
change the light fitting on the newel post at the foot of the staircase
(an ornate bronze statue, holding a lightbulb aloft) he discovered that
the fake torch the statue was holding had once been a real one, fed by a
gas line which was still there, and still connected.
The top floor of the house had combination gas and electric light
fittings - gas pointing up, electric pointing down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 15:35, S Viemeister wrote:
On 25/05/2021 13:07, Roger Hayter wrote:

It is a shock in a 1920s house to cut a thin walled 1/2" lead pipe
under the
upstairs floorboards and find it is still connected to the gas supply.
DAMHIKT
Not sure how many of the 3/8" lead pipes embedded in the plaster and
folded
over at the end were still connected as the supply from the meter was
replaced
at that point.Â*Â* The strange thing was that the pipe out of the meter was
already copper and it was not immediately obvious where it was
connected to
the old lead.

In my parents' turn-of-the-last century house, when my Dad decided to
change the light fitting on the newel post at the foot of the staircase
(an ornate bronze statue, holding a lightbulb aloft) he discovered that
the fake torch the statue was holding had once been a real one, fed by a
gas line which was still there, and still connected.
The top floor of the house had combination gas and electric light
fittings - gas pointing up, electric pointing down.

Similarly, as I found out when chasing a wall to rewire my first 1890's
house in the 1970's. All the lighting wiring to switches was
cotton/rubber single strands in wooden surface mount channelling (with a
divider between live and neutral). At least the power circuits were lead
sheathed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it was
in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

Judging by news reports, by cutting it deliberately.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably
it was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

"criminal investigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...hire-gas-explo
sion-that-killed-two-year-old-caused-by-cut-gas-pipe

Many householder know how to turn off the water and electric - but what

about the gas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/05/2021 17:28, Tim+ wrote:
fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it was
in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

Judging by news reports, by cutting it deliberately.

Tim

At 2 in the morning? That must have been quite a row!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/05/2021 19:14, GB wrote:
On 25/05/2021 17:28, Tim+ wrote:
fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was
in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

Judging by news reports, by cutting it deliberately.

Tim

At 2 in the morning? That must have been quite a row!

That's the usual time for her to have calmed down from the first row
before starting the second one IMHO:-)

It's deliberate.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 15:25:59 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 25/05/2021 13:07, Roger Hayter wrote:

It is a shock in a 1920s house to cut a thin walled 1/2" lead pipe
under the upstairs floorboards and find it is still connected to the
gas supply.

My 1908 house originally had lead water pipes and iron gas pipes.

The copper gas in my house now has yellow tape with gas written on it.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hayes-uk-...pe-33m-x-50mm/

2504j

I like the text in red...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 15:51, newshound wrote:
[...]

Much of the wiring in that house was knob and tube. I learned a fair
amount about electrics, running up and down three flights of stairs
fetching things for Dad while he explained what he was doing, and why.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 12:52, Steve Walker wrote:

Possibly, although it's easy enough to identify in many houses - with
gas coming straight through the wall to the meter and then from there
usually only going to the living-room fire, the cooker in the kitchen
and the boiler (often in the kitchen), with the latter two often a
single run. No gas upstairs

With many boilers now being installed in airing cupboards and attics
that is changing rapidly.

and, in a house with suspended floors, the
route of each pipe downstairs can be clearly seen.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably
it was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

"criminal investigation"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...hire-gas-explo
sion-that-killed-two-year-old-caused-by-cut-gas-pipe

Many householder know how to turn off the water and electric - but what

about the gas?

Generally easier than the water.

The valve is usually with the meter and that is accessible for reading.

The internal stopcock for the water could be anywhere, often ending up
behind a cupboard or a fridge. The external one may be impossible to
find (ours was never found, but a new one was installed when United
Utilities had to sort a leak under the pavement).

Even if you can find either one, it can be stuck tight or fail to fully
close off. Our internal one would not shut off fully and without a
findable outside one, we had to close it off as much as possible and
then leave a running washing machine hose dangling through the back door
to deal with the remaining flow.

Once the outside one was put in, I replaced the inside one with a
plastic one that is easy to open and close, should not corrode stuck and
is placed in the gas meter cupboard, under the stairs, so is not hidden
behind anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it was outside one imagines any kind of mechanicaltool used to move
earth. Normally though gas only explodes in confined spaces due to the
oxygen gas mixture. Remember the old science experiment of filling a tin
with gas with the lid on, then punching a hole in the bottom and lighting
the gas? After a short time the mixture exploded blowing the lit off the
tin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" wrote in message
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it was
in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Yes our house had gas lights mounted on the walls in the bedrooms. We were full electric by the time I arrived

We didn't use gas but had a gas meter under the stairs (in what we called the coal hole ?). Despite the gas being disconnected there was always a pervasive smell of gas in there, My mother got fed up with it and had the whole cabose removed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 11:48, fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

We've no gas to our kitchen (meter at opp end of house) and I've never
been motivated to rip up the floor throughout to sort it.

My neighbours have taken a pipe out of the meter cupboard door and run
it along the floor/skirting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 10:29, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I have always found that water pipes sound different if tapped to gas pipes.
Brian

I don't think the same would be true while sawing through one under some
floorboards?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 11:56, R D S wrote:
On 25/05/2021 11:48, fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

We've no gas to our kitchen (meter at opp end of house) and I've never
been motivated to rip up the floor throughout to sort it.

My neighbours have taken a pipe out of the meter cupboard door and run
it along the floor/skirting.

I don't think you can route a new gas pipe under floorboards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 12:51, Fredxx wrote:
On 26/05/2021 11:56, R D S wrote:
On 25/05/2021 11:48, fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably it
was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

We've no gas to our kitchen (meter at opp end of house) and I've never
been motivated to rip up the floor throughout to sort it.

My neighbours have taken a pipe out of the meter cupboard door and run
it along the floor/skirting.

I don't think you can route a new gas pipe under floorboards.

I'm pretty sure you can.

My understanding (not that I actually have anything to do with gas) is
that a new supply pipe to the meter should not be routed under the
property, but for pipes after the meter - under a suspended ground floor
is fine (it is classed as a ventilated space), while, in an unventilated
floor/ceiling void needs a surrounding sleeve, with one end sealed and
the other end open to a ventilated space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 11:56, R D S wrote:
On 25/05/2021 11:48, fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably
it was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

We've no gas to our kitchen (meter at opp end of house) and I've
never been motivated to rip up the floor throughout to sort it.

My neighbours have taken a pipe out of the meter cupboard door and
run it along the floor/skirting.

I don't think you can route a new gas pipe under floorboards.

I'm pretty sure you can.

My understanding (not that I actually have anything to do with gas) is
that a new supply pipe to the meter should not be routed under the
property, but for pipes after the meter - under a suspended ground floor
is fine (it is classed as a ventilated space), while, in an
unventilated floor/ceiling void needs a surrounding sleeve, with one
end sealed and the other end open to a ventilated space.

Bit of a dichotomy. A properly made concealed gas pipe is far less likely
to get damaged than a surface run one.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 12:52, Steve Walker wrote:
On 25/05/2021 12:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Perhaps a bit of plumbing or heating - a copper gas pipe looks
identical to a water pipe.

Possibly, although it's easy enough to identify in many houses - with
gas coming straight through the wall to the meter and then from there
usually only going to the living-room fire, the cooker in the kitchen
and the boiler (often in the kitchen), with the latter two often a
single run. No gas upstairs and, in a house with suspended floors, the
route of each pipe downstairs can be clearly seen.

Our family house (early 60's) has gas entering garage then emerging the
other side of the dining room from kitchen floor but in the "wrong"
place so it goes around 2 walls surface mounted behind cupboards and
under sink to boiler.
My Brother mistakenly presumed it was cold water feed and cut into it to
put an outside tap in the garden.
Presumably if one then failed to fully isolate the supply (old rusty
isolation valve perhaps) and fired up a blow-torch to repair the pipe...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many householder know how to turn off the water and electric - but what

about the gas?

Generally easier than the water.

I agree - but not necessarily appreceated by all housholders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

The internal stopcock for the water could be anywhere, often ending up
behind a cupboard or a fridge. The external one may be impossible to
find (ours was never found, but a new one was installed when United
Utilities had to sort a leak under the pavement).

Indeed! When I moved into this house ISTR being told that the
stop tap was at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

This cupboard housed a waste bin hung from the opening door. The
stop tap was beneath the bottom panel of the cupboard, which
could only be lifted once the bin had been removed from the door.

I got out a hole saw and cut an access hole, then had to use
pliers to get enough leverage to turn the tap.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Fredxx wrote:

I don't think you can route a new gas pipe under floorboards.

I'm pretty sure you can.

Indeed, you can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 19:00, Andy Burns wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Fredxx wrote:

I don't think you can route a new gas pipe under floorboards.

I'm pretty sure you can.

Indeed, you can.

Ok, I was wrong, but that does assume a ventilated floor space. I can
safely say my floors have very little ventilation.