Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default cut gas pipe

On 25/05/2021 15:51, newshound wrote:
On 25/05/2021 15:35, S Viemeister wrote:
On 25/05/2021 13:07, Roger Hayter wrote:
It is a shock in a 1920s house to cut a thin walled 1/2" lead pipe under the
upstairs floorboards and find it is still connected to the gas supply. DAMHIKT
Not sure how many of the 3/8" lead pipes embedded in the plaster and folded
over at the end were still connected as the supply from the meter was replaced
at that point.Â*Â* The strange thing was that the pipe out of the meter was
already copper and it was not immediately obvious where it was connected to
the old lead.

In my parents' turn-of-the-last century house, when my Dad decided to
change the light fitting on the newel post at the foot of the
staircase (an ornate bronze statue, holding a lightbulb aloft) he
discovered that the fake torch the statue was holding had once been a
real one, fed by a gas line which was still there, and still connected.
The top floor of the house had combination gas and electric light
fittings - gas pointing up, electric pointing down.

Similarly, as I found out when chasing a wall to rewire my first 1890's
house in the 1970's. All the lighting wiring to switches was
cotton/rubber single strands in wooden surface mount channelling (with a
divider between live and neutral). At least the power circuits were lead
sheathed.

Much of the wiring in that house was knob and tube. I learned a fair
amount about electrics, running up and down three flights of stairs
fetching things for Dad while he explained what he was doing, and why.