Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Split fingernail.

I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:16 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

I've always used superglue on a split nail and keep the nail as short as
possible until it has all grown out - but dunno if it will work for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 13:59, Chris Bacon wrote:

I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Have a read of this:

https://drbaileyskincare.com/blogs/b...3c96357f&_ss=r

It contains hints and tips for dealing with split fingernails.

Note that the cure might involve changes of diet and possibly of
lifestyle, and also that the condition might indicate more serious
issues (probably not for a DIYer, though, because the problem most
likely arises through hard use and the unfortunate ageing process).

Clearing up the condition may take a considerable time, e.g. a year, and
you might need to undertake such things as moisturising your nails after
a shower or hand wash.

The author is selling products on this site, but there's nothing to stop
you using the suggested generic types of treatment.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bev presented the following explanation :
I've always used superglue on a split nail and keep the nail as short as
possible until it has all grown out - but dunno if it will work for you.

My suggestion is similar...

Blob of 10 minute Araldite, allow to set then file smooth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

One oft suggested option is a blob of superglue. Some suggest a
fibreglass matt style repair using a bit of "fabric" cut from a (unused)
teabag. So apply a small blob of glue and spread around the nail, apply
patch and tamp down, then apply glue again over the top. That should
stop the split propagating. You then need wait for it to grow out.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Nail infections cause such splits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:16 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Treat this similar to a propagating crack, drill a small hole at the
leading edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 16:08, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.
I don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's
only 4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

One oft suggested option is a blob of superglue. Some suggest a
fibreglass matt style repair using a bit of "fabric" cut from a (unused)
teabag. So apply a small blob of glue and spread around the nail, apply
patch and tamp down, then apply glue again over the top. That should
stop the split propagating. You then need wait for it to grow out.

I've done something similar - spread on clear, matte nail varnish, tear
off a bit of single ply tissue (tear, don't cut, it blends in better),
press into place, let set, then add another thin coat of nail varnish.
Make sure to bring the varnish over the tip of the nail.
This also worked well when I damaged the base of the nail and it grew
out with a hole, but I needed to build up a few layers for that.
And definitely keep that nail as short as possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

There is a super tough clear nail varnish with nylon fibres in that can
be applied to repair a badly split nail. Try Boots or similar.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 16:15, gareth evans wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Nail infections cause such splits.

So does hammer rash...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

I've tried bandages, adhesive tape, a rubber thimble - and five years
later it is still there. Just applied some Milliput !

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 15:41, Spike wrote:
On 15/05/2021 13:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

Have a read of this:

https://drbaileyskincare.com/blogs/b...3c96357f&_ss=r

It contains hints and tips for dealing with split fingernails.

I had a look; maybe the problem is because back in February I was doing
a lot of cleaning of things with white spirit, and wasn't being
extremely careful (e.g. wearing gloves). So I'll look more into oily
things, e.g. lanolin.

Unfortunately there are worrying errors there though...

"My favorite remedy is good old fashioned Bag Balm which is made with
wool alcohol (a.k.a. lanolin)."

That's completely wrong. Lanolin is oily stuff that comes from sheep
fleeces, "wood alcohol" is methanol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 16:31, S Viemeister wrote:
I've done something similar - spread on clear, matte nail varnish, tear
off a bit of single ply tissue (tear, don't cut, it blends in better),
press into place, let set, then add another thin coat of nail varnish.
Make sure to bring the varnish over the tip of the nail.

Tear not cut. Are you an expert in the use of ingrain paper, e.g. on
ceilings?

I'll re-read some suggestions. It's a PITA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 16:30, jon wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:16 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

Treat this similar to a propagating crack, drill a small hole at the
leading edge.

I had thought of running a file across so that it makes an extra
flexible area (stopping before going right through....!).

No, not a rasp or *******. Dead smooth, or nail!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

One oft suggested option is a blob of superglue. Some suggest a
fibreglass matt style repair using a bit of "fabric" cut from a (unused)
teabag.

I guess youre probably best using the €śtraditional€ť teabag that contains
plastic than the new eco-friendly ones?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 16:34, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

There is a super tough clear nail varnish with nylon fibres in that can
be applied to repair a badly split nail. Try Boots or similar.

I remember when I buying bright red nail varnish from Boots. It was to
go over the inside of a very old plastic lens on a motorbike. The girl
servingf gave me a very queer look. Maybe she still works there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 18:04, Chris Bacon wrote:

"My favorite remedy is good old fashioned Bag Balm which is made with
wool alcohol (a.k.a. lanolin)."

That's completely wrong. Lanolin is oily stuff that comes from sheep
fleeces, "wood alcohol" is methanol.

Erm wood and wool are two entirely different things.

Mind you I have never heard of wool alcohol typo and the poster is
correct or something that exists and I have just not heard of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...) and
I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Superglue should stop it progressing so it will grow out.

Thats theory tho, I never get split nails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 18:14, Chris Bacon wrote:

I remember when I buying bright red nail varnish from Boots. It was to
go over the inside of a very old plastic lens on a motorbike.

Admit it Chris it was for your nails, we won't judge, much. ;O)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 18:25, soup wrote:
On 15/05/2021 18:04, Chris Bacon wrote:

"My favorite remedy is good old fashioned Bag Balm which is made with
wool alcohol (a.k.a. lanolin)."

That's completely wrong. Lanolin is oily stuff that comes from sheep
fleeces, "wood alcohol" is methanol.

Erm wood and wool are two entirely different things.

Mind you I have never heard of wool alcohol typo and the poster is
correct or something that exists and I have just not heard of it.

Oh, I should hAVE gone to Specsavers. Thank you for helping with that!

Neither have I, BTW. Hence my errer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 18:42, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 15/05/2021 18:25, soup wrote:
On 15/05/2021 18:04, Chris Bacon wrote:

"My favorite remedy is good old fashioned Bag Balm which is made with
wool alcohol (a.k.a. lanolin)."

That's completely wrong. Lanolin is oily stuff that comes from sheep
fleeces, "wood alcohol" is methanol.

Erm wood and wool are two entirely different things.

Mind you I have never heard of wool alcohol typo and the poster is
correct or something that exists and I have just not heard of it.

Oh, I should hAVE gone to Specsavers. Thank you for helping with that!

Neither have I, BTW. Hence my errer.

Seems wooL alcohols do exist.

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/allergy-to-wool-alcohols/

News to me, but there you go you learn something everyday.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
On 15/05/2021 16:34, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

There is a super tough clear nail varnish with nylon fibres in that can
be applied to repair a badly split nail. Try Boots or similar.

I remember when I buying bright red nail varnish from Boots. It was to
go over the inside of a very old plastic lens on a motorbike. The girl
servingf gave me a very queer look. Maybe she still works there.

over 40 years ago a friend ws playing the Demon King in a village
Pantomime. He went to Tesco between the matinee and evening perfomances. He
got some very odd looks since he was still wearing his green nail varnish
;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 18:14:52 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

On 15/05/2021 16:34, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

There is a super tough clear nail varnish with nylon fibres in that can
be applied to repair a badly split nail. Try Boots or similar.

I remember when I buying bright red nail varnish from Boots. It was to
go over the inside of a very old plastic lens on a motorbike. The girl
servingf gave me a very queer look. Maybe she still works there.

You should try buying nylon stockings, as I did.

For hiking, as a layer inside the woollen socks.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 15/05/2021 18:04, Chris Bacon wrote:

"My favorite remedy is good old fashioned Bag Balm which is made with
wool alcohol (a.k.a. lanolin)."

That's completely wrong. Lanolin is oily stuff that comes from sheep
fleeces, "wood alcohol" is methanol.

Erm wood and wool are two entirely different things.

My initial reaction was that lanolin isnt an alcohol but
when I checked its more complicated than that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin#Composition

Mind you I have never heard of wool alcohol typo and the poster is correct
or something that exists and I have just not heard of it.

Yeah, I hadn't but have now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

One way is to dry out a wetwipe then superglue a piece of it to the nail
to hold it together while it grows out.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 May 2021 04:08:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

My initial reaction was

Nobody gives a **** what it was, senile troll!

--
Java Jive to senile Rodent:
You're getting there, it's clear that you've now reached the level of
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 May 2021 03:37:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Superglue should stop it progressing so it will grow out.

That˘s theory tho, I never get split nails.

IOW, you haven't the foggiest but you will still smartass about it, senile
cretin!

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Able wrote:
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.
I don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's
only 4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

I've tried bandages, adhesive tape, a rubber thimble - and five years
later it is still there. Just applied some Milliput !

Used clear nail varnish - two or 3 coats.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 18:12, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 15/05/2021 16:30, jon wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:16 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

Treat this similar to a propagating crack, drill a small hole at the
leading edge.

I had thought of running a file across so that it makes an extra
flexible area (stopping before going right through....!).

No, not a rasp or *******. Dead smooth, or nail!

Speaking from experience - don't do that! You could wind up with not
just a split, but your nail could delaminate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 16:30, jon wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:16 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

Treat this similar to a propagating crack, drill a small hole at the
leading edge.

I had thought of running a file across so that it makes an extra
flexible area (stopping before going right through....!).

No, not a rasp or *******. Dead smooth, or nail!

Speaking from experience - don't do that! You could wind up with not
just a split, but your nail could delaminate.

It wasn't laminated to start with was it?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 16:30, jon wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:16 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

Treat this similar to a propagating crack, drill a small hole at the
leading edge.

I had thought of running a file across so that it makes an extra
flexible area (stopping before going right through....!).

No, not a rasp or *******. Dead smooth, or nail!

Speaking from experience - don't do that! You could wind up with not
just a split, but your nail could delaminate.

It wasn't laminated to start with was it?

There are layers, and they can separate. You could wind up with that
vertical split, and horizontal separation. Most unpleasant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Nail polish until it grows out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Nail polish until it grows out.

Or a dab of superglue is a good temporary get-you-home fix - us blokes are
probably more likely to be able to lay our hands on superglue rather than
nail polish ;-)

But nail polish is probably better, and may be less brittle so may not flake
off as readily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would show it to a doctor. It could have a fungal infection underneath
which is perpetuating the split. After all as you surmise, what should
happen is that it will grow out if you are careful to cut it square each
time, but if there is something growing under it that will never happen. I
had this with a big toe nail and it was not until I got rid of the stuff
underneath that it grew out again. I',me surprised its a finger nail though
as they are in the air and readily exposable to various chemicals that fungi
won't like. Inside a shoe its more conducive to nasty things.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...) and
I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, well as I say, I'm almost certain my doctors cure of some proprietary
stuff you paint on did make conditions for the fungus impossible and then a
lot of the rest seems to follow, it is slow though and of course as we age,
nail material is more brittle, its a bit like skin losing its elastic
properties and forming wrinkles.

"Spike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 May 2021 at 15:44:28 UTC+1, undefined wrote:
Bev presented the following explanation :
I've always used superglue on a split nail and keep the nail as short as
possible until it has all grown out - but dunno if it will work for you.

My suggestion is similar...

Blob of 10 minute Araldite, allow to set then file smooth.

I wouldn't use Araldite (or any other epoxy resin).

Many are based on bisphenol A which causes endocrine disruption. Bad enough in general, let alone using it on your body such that it will be in constant contact for days or weeks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 May 2021 at 18:05:02 UTC+1, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 15/05/2021 15:41, Spike wrote:
On 15/05/2021 13:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.

Have a read of this:

https://drbaileyskincare.com/blogs/b...3c96357f&_ss=r

It contains hints and tips for dealing with split fingernails.

I had a look; maybe the problem is because back in February I was doing
a lot of cleaning of things with white spirit, and wasn't being
extremely careful (e.g. wearing gloves). So I'll look more into oily
things, e.g. lanolin.

Unfortunately there are worrying errors there though...

"My favorite remedy is good old fashioned Bag Balm which is made with
wool alcohol (a.k.a. lanolin)."

That's completely wrong. Lanolin is oily stuff that comes from sheep
fleeces, "wood alcohol" is methanol.

No - it appears to be you who is wrong. It says WOOL alcohol - not Wood.

Wool alcohols are the principle component of lanolin in which allergens are found. Lanolin is a natural product obtained from the fleece of sheep. Sebum is extracted from the wool, cleaned and refined to produce anhydrous lanolin. This comprises 3 parts, wool alcohols, fatty alcohols and fatty acids..

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/allergy-to-wool-alcohols/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 07:39, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I would show it to a doctor. It could have a fungal infection underneath
which is perpetuating the split. After all as you surmise, what should
happen is that it will grow out if you are careful to cut it square each
time, but if there is something growing under it that will never happen. I
had this with a big toe nail and it was not until I got rid of the stuff
underneath that it grew out again. I',me surprised its a finger nail though
as they are in the air and readily exposable to various chemicals that fungi
won't like. Inside a shoe its more conducive to nasty things.

I had a finger nail that for around 5 years grew with a vertical ridge
after hitting the base of the nail with a hammer. As the nail reached
the end of the finger the ridge would split at the ridge line. The only
way I could keep it from snagging was the file the nail flat every week.
At the end of this 5 year period the ridge started to disappear and
afterwards the finger nail grew normally flat to the skin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger. I
don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's only
4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

There are reports of a lot of minor side effects of the covid
vaccinations, things like dandruff, cracked lips, dry skin feature in
the list. Did you get your jabs?

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 15/05/2021 14:59, Chris Bacon wrote:
I sort of hesitate to put this here, but it's DIY-related (or work...)
and I'm hoping there's a DIY fix.

There's a vertical split in the top of the nail on my pointing finger.
I don't want it to catch on something and rip off, or get worse (it's
only 4-5mm into the pink zone). I want to get ti to heal.

I have had it in sticking plaster for about 6 weeks, but the split
continues down as the nail grows. Bloody nuisance.

Any ideas/experience?

Nail polish until it grows out.

Or a dab of superglue is a good temporary get-you-home fix - us blokes
are probably more likely to be able to lay our hands on superglue rather
than nail polish ;-)

But nail polish is probably better, and may be less brittle so may not
flake off as readily.

Superglue doesn't like getting wet, so if you wsh your hands, nail poish is
better. You can buy it on ebay to save the embarassment in a shop.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Fingernail grind Vic Baron Woodturning 4 November 8th 11 01:38 AM
OT - superglue and dead fingernail Spehro Pefhany Metalworking 22 September 7th 09 11:11 PM
Fingernail Polish in Carpet koffeeforme Home Repair 3 April 18th 06 02:32 PM
Help getting fingernail polish off tile grout ADC Home Repair 6 February 27th 05 08:42 PM
Volex or GE split load consumer unit? Kalico UK diy 4 November 4th 03 12:25 PM