Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Water Meters

I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably
smart, not the water)

What is a smart meter, have I already got one ?Â* The present one has
some sort of RFID functionality I assume, coz the van from South East
Water drives up our road, emitting a signal, that causes the meters to
'ping' back their readings ?

So, are these meters going to be the same ones used for the smart
metering, or will they come and change my meter (for the third time in
10 years now !)
And if they are the same ones, how on earth will the magic 10 megawatt
ERP signal from Arqiva reach my meter that's 600mm below the ground ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:13:26 +0100
Mark Carver wrote:

I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably
smart, not the water)

Since you mention it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smar****er

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably smart,
not the water)

What is a smart meter, have I already got one ? The present one has some

https://www.unitedutilities.com/my-a...eading-meters/

So, are these meters going to be the same ones used for the smart
metering, or will they come and change my meter (for the third time in 10
years now !)
And if they are the same ones, how on earth will the magic 10 megawatt ERP
signal from Arqiva reach my meter that's 600mm below the ground ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver wrote:
I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably
smart, not the water)

What is a smart meter, have I already got one ? The present one has
some sort of RFID functionality I assume, coz the van from South East
Water drives up our road, emitting a signal, that causes the meters to
'ping' back their readings ?

So, are these meters going to be the same ones used for the smart
metering, or will they come and change my meter (for the third time in
10 years now !)
And if they are the same ones, how on earth will the magic 10 megawatt
ERP signal from Arqiva reach my meter that's 600mm below the ground ?

Meters can be tied together. One scheme, allows a dumb meter, to
piggyback off the radio of a smart meter. A cable would run from
the dumb meter, to the smart meter in that case.

*******

Our water here, using the RFID concept. An especially strong "ping" from
the truck as it drives by, causes the meter to transmit a "usage packet"
back to the truck. The meter is battery powered, and the battery needs
replacement every ten years.

Since the water meter stays in a low power state, most all of the time,
the ten year battery interval is really the "shelf life". Counting pulses
at extremely low rates, uses no power to speak of.

Now, my meter it is claimed, has "leak detection", which implies at the
very least, some notion of time in the metering. And including a measure
of time would waste power. I've never heard of anyone getting a warning
on their water bill, that "something is leaking". This would not be
real-time detection, more a delay of a month or two, to find out. The
radio on the unit, cannot be heard by anything, otherwise. Only the
truck driving by can "hear it".

When the toilet valve was leaking, there was no notification on any bill.
I detected that by watching the visual meter dial one day, and seeing
the fastest moving spindle, "pipping a bit". Then I went hunting for
the miscreant. So if there is leak detection, I'm still waiting for
a demo.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 19:39, tim... wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably
smart, not the water)

What is a smart meter, have I already got one ?Â* The present one has
some sort of RFID functionality I assume, coz the van from South East
Water drives up our road, emitting a signal, that causes the meters
to 'ping' back their readings ?

https://www.unitedutilities.com/my-a...eading-meters/

Well yes. That's exactly what I've got at present, (it's exactly what I
described in my post) but it doesn't explain how they will continuously
(once per hour/day etc) monitor my use (if that's the plan) ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:13:26 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably
smart, not the water)

What is a smart meter, have I already got one ?Â* The present one has
some sort of RFID functionality I assume, coz the van from South East
Water drives up our road, emitting a signal, that causes the meters to
'ping' back their readings ?

So, are these meters going to be the same ones used for the smart
metering, or will they come and change my meter (for the third time in
10 years now !)
And if they are the same ones, how on earth will the magic 10 megawatt
ERP signal from Arqiva reach my meter that's 600mm below the ground ?

My water meter has a radio link, with indicator in the electricity box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:

My water meter has a radio link, with indicator in the electricity box.

does water consumption show up on the In house Display?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver wrote:

tim... wrote:

https://www.unitedutilities.com/my-a...eading-meters/

That's exactly what I've got at present, (it's exactly what I
described in my post) but it doesn't explain how they will continuously
(once per hour/day etc) monitor my use (if that's the plan) ?

When was Dagenham moved to Northumbria?

https://www.arqiva.com/news/press-releases/arqiva-smart-water-metering-northumbrian-water/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 11:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

tim... wrote:

https://www.unitedutilities.com/my-a...eading-meters/

That's exactly what I've got at present, (it's exactly what I
described in my post) but it doesn't explain how they will
continuously (once per hour/day etc) monitor my use (if that's the
plan) ?

When was Dagenham moved to Northumbria?

https://www.arqiva.com/news/press-releases/arqiva-smart-water-metering-northumbrian-water/

"Northumbrian Water Group, one of Britains largest water providers, to
deliver an initial roll-out of a smart metering network in Essex, where
it operates as Essex & Suffolk Water."

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 07:59, Mark Carver wrote:
On 26/04/2021 19:39, tim... wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably
smart, not the water)

What is a smart meter, have I already got one ?Â* The present one has
some sort of RFID functionality I assume, coz the van from South East
Water drives up our road, emitting a signal, that causes the meters
to 'ping' back their readings ?

https://www.unitedutilities.com/my-a...eading-meters/

Well yes. That's exactly what I've got at present, (it's exactly what I
described in my post) but it doesn't explain how they will continuously
(once per hour/day etc) monitor my use (if that's the plan) ?

Thames don't claim to be able to get every meter connected to the
Flexnet network. But I think some of the smart water meters have an
aerial wire - although I've no idea if those have been used.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver wrote:
What is a smart meter, have I already got one ?Â* The present one has
some sort of RFID functionality I assume, coz the van from South East
Water drives up our road, emitting a signal, that causes the meters to
'ping' back their readings ?

Around here the mechanical indoor water meters are cabled to a ~10cm round
black plastic 'puck' that's mounted on the front wall of the house. To my
knowledge there's no power supply or battery in the meter (never had to
change one in 15 years, although I suppose it could be powered from the
water pressure).

I had assumed that a meter reader went around with a battery powered gadget
and touched it to the puck, which illuminated a coil in the puck with RF and
that stimulated some resonances within the meter digits, so you got an RF
resonance that corresponded to which digit was in which position. That
means you can read it passively like an RFID without needing a power supply.

But I have no evidence for this, and I now can't find a picture. I've never
seen anyone read it, but they could do this without ringing the bell.

Are you saying this kind can be read from a van? I'm rather surprised at
the amount of RF power needed if so. Or maybe there are multiple types.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 14:30, Theo wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

That sounds like the remote reader we had fitted here by Thames Water in
2005. It never worked properly and the final straw was when they sent
people out on Good Friday /and/ Easter Monday in 2008 who both insisted
I needed to lift the fitted carpet and provide access to the meter.
After lengthy correspondence they admitted they no longer fitted such
systems because of their unreliability, fitted a new meter in the
pavement in place of their stop cock, and refunded a year's charges by
way of compensation.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 15:00, Robin wrote:
On 27/04/2021 14:30, Theo wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

resonance that corresponded to which digit was in which position.Â* That
means you can read it passively like an RFID without needing a power
supply.

But I have no evidence for this, and I now can't find a picture.Â* I've
never
seen anyone read it, but they could do this without ringing the bell.

Are you saying this kind can be read from a van?Â* I'm rather surprised at
the amount of RF power needed if so.Â* Or maybe there are multiple types.

That sounds like the remote reader we had fitted here by Thames Water in
2005.Â* It never worked properly and the final straw was when they sent
people out on Good Friday /and/ Easter Monday in 2008 who both insisted
I needed to lift the fitted carpet and provide access to the meter.
After lengthy correspondence they admitted they no longer fitted such
systems because of their unreliability, fitted a new meter in the
pavement in place of their stop cock, and refunded a year's charges by
way of compensation.

D'oh! I forgot to say that in 2005-2008 there was no drive-by reading;
it was man putting reader to pad. But they can certainly do it now -
even with meters well under the pavement.
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 14:30, Theo wrote:

Are you saying this kind can be read from a van? I'm rather surprised at
the amount of RF power needed if so. Or maybe there are multiple types.

No. I was only suggesting the kerbside (400-600mm under the pavement
etc) ones can be read by a van/man with a wand/etc,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
On 27/04/2021 14:30, Theo wrote:

Are you saying this kind can be read from a van? I'm rather surprised at
the amount of RF power needed if so. Or maybe there are multiple types.

No. I was only suggesting the kerbside (400-600mm under the pavement
etc) ones can be read by a van/man with a wand/etc,

our water meter reader has to jump (or wade) the ditch between us and the
road.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Theo wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

I had two water meters fitted in 2010 and about a year later I caught
sight of a Yorkshire Water van parked outside my house.

Intrigued I approached the driver and asked if he was reading my meters
and was given a demonstration of the handheld reading device.

He explained that information gathered fro each meter includes the total
amount of water, the maximum flow and the amount of reverse flow (this
very serious and can result in to very heavy penalties).

The meters are 10.5 metres from the road.

--
John Bryan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 19:02:29 +0100
John Bryan wrote:

I had two water meters fitted in 2010 and about a year later I caught
sight of a Yorkshire Water van parked outside my house.

Intrigued I approached the driver and asked if he was reading my
meters and was given a demonstration of the handheld reading device.

I thought you were going to say that you lived in Cornwall, so this
was a real surprise!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 14:13, Mark Carver wrote:
I read some gumf the other day, saying Arqiva are rolling out a comms
system for Smart Water meters (it's the meters that are presumably
smart, not the water)

What is a smart meter, have I already got one ?Â* The present one has
some sort of RFID functionality I assume, coz the van from South East
Water drives up our road, emitting a signal, that causes the meters to
'ping' back their readings ?

So, are these meters going to be the same ones used for the smart
metering, or will they come and change my meter (for the third time in
10 years now !)
And if they are the same ones, how on earth will the magic 10 megawatt
ERP signal from Arqiva reach my meter that's 600mm below the ground ?

For some reason our water meter is inside the house. It's fitted with
one of these:

https://www.itron.com/-/media/feature/products/documents/brochure/everblu_cyble_enhanced_pb_en_0911.pdf

Never had a meter reader person visit, and our water bills are always
spot on.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 13:57:36 +0100, Reentrant wrote:

[...]

It makes it impossible to read the meter. I read mine every week just in
case there's a leak somewhere. Still, with meter inside you'd be aware of
leaks and wouldn't be charged for leaks outside.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
[...]

err no. You'd be charged for any water passing through the meter. My water
meter is on my boundary, so outside leaks arec my problem. But I had a
plastic pipe installed before the days of water meters, so I shouldn't get
a leak there.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 18:07:42 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
[...]

That I know - mine had a leak in the box where the pipe on the outlet from
the meter was askew. It was just outside my boundary in in the company's
box, plus lead pipe to the old stop cock just inside my boundary. The meter
wasn't 'square' to the MDPE that went to lead then to MDPE.
I had it repaired FOC and got the lead replaced, so now it's MDPE. with a
joint, all the way. The meter is a bit out of true as the incoming and
outgoing pipes aren't in line.

BUT, if the meter is inside the house (a neighbour's is) then any leaks
upstream aren't the user's responsibility.
I haven't looked closely eneough to be sure, but there appears to be a
bypass loop with isolating valves for the meter - very tempting!
The reader covers just over half of the meter, so it can't be read. That
would annoy me - I'd install another meter in series.
The only external stopcock serves more than on house.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
[...]

That's not my understanding. And would lead to bizarre results where
(as was not uncommon) meters were fitted inside houses and flats. The
supplier is only responsible for the communication pipe up to (usually)
the boundary of the property. If the supply pipe after that serves
several properties then it is the responsibility of the several owners.
See the table in

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/.../supply-pipes/

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
[...]

The leak may be their responsibility once it is detected but they can't easily
be charged for the water loss before the meter(s).

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2021 17:12, PeterC wrote:
[...]

No problem at all reading the meter. Here's a pictu

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-BOrk0FJapnxpGI1s13xX0mTOi4bzVpY/view?usp=sharing

--
Reentrant