Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Realigning guttering

We have a single-storey pitched roof that falls down to gutters. The gutter
falls from right to left across the ~10m wide wall. At the left corner
there's a downpipe, a water butt connection, and then an angled piece of
drainpipe to take the water into an external kitchen drain that's roughly in
the middle of the wall.

I'm thinking of rejigging this so the gutters drain into a downpipe in the
middle that leads more-or-less directly towards the drain (well, slightly
offset to go around a window immediately above the drain).

Any pitfalls to expect doing this? Is there neat way to make a piece of
guttering fall in the opposite direction without drilling new holes in the
fascia for brackets slightly higher up? Can you maybe get brackets of
variable height or something?

Thanks
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2021 17:10, Theo wrote:
We have a single-storey pitched roof that falls down to gutters. The gutter
falls from right to left across the ~10m wide wall. At the left corner
there's a downpipe, a water butt connection, and then an angled piece of
drainpipe to take the water into an external kitchen drain that's roughly in
the middle of the wall.

I'm thinking of rejigging this so the gutters drain into a downpipe in the
middle that leads more-or-less directly towards the drain (well, slightly
offset to go around a window immediately above the drain).

Any pitfalls to expect doing this? Is there neat way to make a piece of
guttering fall in the opposite direction without drilling new holes in the
fascia for brackets slightly higher up? Can you maybe get brackets of
variable height or something?

Thanks
Theo

There's a standard type of variable height bracket. One part is
basically a length of galvanised steel strip (about 20 x 5 mm at a
guess). This normally comes with a "point" at one end, you drill a pilot
hole in a mortar course and hammer it in horizontally. Or, you can bend
it at 90 degrees as required, drill two suitable holes in the wall and
plug and screw. The other part is a semicircular steel strip that fits
under the guttering, with a length of studding welded in the middle. The
studding goes vertically through a suitable hole in the first bit of
strip, and height is adjusted with the aid of two nuts (one each side of
the horizontal strip).

This is a good way to do it if the vertical height of the facias is not
large enough, or perhaps if the facias are showing signs of age.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
This is a good way to do it if the vertical height of the facias is not
large enough, or perhaps if the facias are showing signs of age.

The fascia is quite new and I'd like to avoid drilling extra holes in it,
hence the question. There's sufficient overhang such that it wouldn't be
possible to fix guttering into the brick. Do adjustable brackets like this
exist for attachment to the fascia? It would need to be white to match the
PVC guttering, rather than bare metal.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Apr 2021 at 21:53:34 BST, "Theo"
wrote:

newshound wrote:
This is a good way to do it if the vertical height of the facias is not
large enough, or perhaps if the facias are showing signs of age.

The fascia is quite new and I'd like to avoid drilling extra holes in it,
hence the question. There's sufficient overhang such that it wouldn't be
possible to fix guttering into the brick. Do adjustable brackets like this
exist for attachment to the fascia? It would need to be white to match the
PVC guttering, rather than bare metal.

Theo

The holes tend to be at the top of the ordinary plastic brackets, so if, as
makes sense, you are leaving the high side the same and raising the low side
progressively from the centre the brackets will cover the old screw holes.
This seems to me by far the easiest way to do it.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2021 21:53, Theo wrote:
newshound wrote:
This is a good way to do it if the vertical height of the facias is not
large enough, or perhaps if the facias are showing signs of age.

The fascia is quite new and I'd like to avoid drilling extra holes in it,
hence the question. There's sufficient overhang such that it wouldn't be
possible to fix guttering into the brick. Do adjustable brackets like this
exist for attachment to the fascia? It would need to be white to match the
PVC guttering, rather than bare metal.

Is there a standard for guttering? My limited experience of trying to
add or modify (old) existing guttering with similar parts from the sheds
has resulted in the parts from one manufacturer not fitting parts for
another manufacturer without some bodging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2021 21:53, Theo wrote:

The fascia is quite new and I'd like to avoid drilling extra holes in it,

You may be able to drill the extra hole in the bracket(s) to raise the
pipe by perhaps an inch using the existing fixing hole in the fascia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

newshound wrote:
This is a good way to do it if the vertical height of the facias is not
large enough, or perhaps if the facias are showing signs of age.

The fascia is quite new and I'd like to avoid drilling extra holes in it,
hence the question. There's sufficient overhang such that it wouldn't be
possible to fix guttering into the brick. Do adjustable brackets like this
exist for attachment to the fascia? It would need to be white to match the
PVC guttering, rather than bare metal.

Theo

The holes tend to be at the top of the ordinary plastic brackets, so if, as
makes sense, you are leaving the high side the same and raising the low side
progressively from the centre the brackets will cover the old screw holes.
This seems to me by far the easiest way to do it.

Even if the new bracket position is an inch or so away from its original
location, the gutter itself will hide the original hole.

Bostic used to sell an acetone-based white UPVC filler which was very
effective, but I think it has been discontinued. A blob of white
silicone sealer carefully smoothed before it skins over should hide
them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2021 00:52, alan_m wrote:
On 22/04/2021 21:53, Theo wrote:
newshound wrote:
This is a good way to do it if the vertical height of the facias is not
large enough, or perhaps if the facias are showing signs of age.

The fascia is quite new and I'd like to avoid drilling extra holes in it,
hence the question.Â* There's sufficient overhang such that it wouldn't be
possible to fix guttering into the brick.Â* Do adjustable brackets like
this
exist for attachment to the fascia?Â* It would need to be white to
match the
PVC guttering, rather than bare metal.

Is there a standard for guttering? My limited experience of trying to
add or modify (old) existing guttering with similar parts from the sheds
has resulted in the parts from one manufacturer not fitting parts for
another manufacturer without some bodging.

https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/gut...ibility-chart/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/gut...ibility-chart/

Thanks. I shall take a look and see what we have.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2021 12:34, Theo wrote:
Andrew wrote:
https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/gut...ibility-chart/

Thanks. I shall take a look and see what we have.

Theo

The only stuff I would avoid is Hunter plastics, as sold in Wickes.
The connectors are very difficult to 'snap' into the locked position,
something you don't want to do at the top of a ladder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
The only stuff I would avoid is Hunter plastics, as sold in Wickes.
The connectors are very difficult to 'snap' into the locked position,
something you don't want to do at the top of a ladder.

It turns out that we have the Freeflow Square Line system, the bracket being
FRS609:
https://plasticsuppliesdirect.co.uk/...ket-white.html

It appears the derating for a 5m gutter with the outlet at the end isn't so
bad:

Level gutter: 1.10 litres/sec
1:600 gradient: 1.55 litres/sec

so it is possible I might get away with just repositioning the downpipe if
the existing gradient - which isn't obvious by looking at it - is flat
enough.

If that doesn't work, I might have to make up some shims to slide the
brackets up and down, or to drill extra holes in the brackets to realign.

Another one for the todo list...

Theo

Realigning Gutters Bill C. Home Repair 5 June 12th 06 07:37 PM
realigning misaligned fence post? dmcg Home Repair 5 November 8th 05 06:26 PM
Fascias and guttering Kevin Duggan UK diy 1 January 14th 04 02:56 PM
Bizarre moving guttering problem Richard Clay UK diy 6 October 30th 03 04:11 PM
Quote of guttering, soffits and facsia - sound right to you? Richard UK diy 3 September 13th 03 08:41 PM