Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill C.

Default Realigning Gutters

Hi, last month I hired someone to clean and repair the gutters on a 3
decker. When it rained I found that they did not drain well, more
water coming out of the corners than the downspout. The person who
cleaned the gutters is now telling me that they need to be aligned
correctly.

Two questions: Should this have been caught during the repair? The
repairs consisted of fastening and adding hangers, reattaching several
downspouts and adding a downspout. Any pitfalls to avoid or hints to
realign the gutters myself?

TIA,
Bill C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill C. wrote:
Hi, last month I hired someone to clean and repair the gutters on a 3
decker. When it rained I found that they did not drain well, more
water coming out of the corners than the downspout. The person who
cleaned the gutters is now telling me that they need to be aligned
correctly.

Two questions: Should this have been caught during the repair? The
repairs consisted of fastening and adding hangers, reattaching several
downspouts and adding a downspout. Any pitfalls to avoid or hints to
realign the gutters myself?

TIA,
Bill C.

if they haven't taken off and replaced the gutters, you might just need
to hammer the hanging big nail thingies back in; they can work their
way out a little bit which sometimes lets the gutters sag out of slope,
and the repairing might have loosened them. Anyway, that fixed my
(minor) problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

if they haven't taken off and replaced the gutters, you might just need
to hammer the hanging big nail thingies back in; they can work their
way out a little bit which sometimes lets the gutters sag out of slope,
and the repairing might have loosened them. Anyway, that fixed my
(minor) problems.

if they haven't taken off and replaced the gutters, you might just need
to hammer the hanging big nail thingies back in; they can work their
way out a little bit which sometimes lets the gutters sag out of slope,
and the repairing might have loosened them. Anyway, that fixed my
(minor) problems.

Kinda sounds like this is what the original repair dude was supposed
to do? And didn't.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair
cheaphomeowner

I would strongly recommend that you call the guy back and have if fix
the problem. If he did indeed install new hangers, he should have
repitched all your gutters to drain correct. I would start with
that, if they refuse, it is not that hard to repitch. The most
diffecult part is making sure you have a latter tall enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Unless you get up there to see if the angle is good from end to end you
wont know what is the truth. It could be a long gutter run and small
downspout not taking all the water or a poor job done and not enough
angle. You might need 2 downspouts to handle all the water. My gutters
were put in by a hack, bowed down in the middle and downspout 4" to
high, they held water all year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
Unless you get up there to see if the angle is good from end to end you
wont know what is the truth. It could be a long gutter run and small
downspout not taking all the water or a poor job done and not enough
angle. You might need 2 downspouts to handle all the water. My gutters
were put in by a hack, bowed down in the middle and downspout 4" to
high, they held water all year.

There's the usual rules of thumb regarding pitch, number of downspouts
per linear foot of gutter and area of roof etc., lookupable on Lowes or
HomeDepot etc. sites, of course. My personal crusade is to put in
bigger downspouts. I've discovered that the bigger size downspout spout
will fit the smaller size gutter, usually found on houses, with nothing
more than a little enlargement of the hole. At least on my gutters.
This represents a significant increase in area and reduction of the
bottleneck that leads to clogs. And nowhere near as hard as replacing
the gutters with the bigger size. I can't imagine any good reason why
the smaller gutter has to come with the smaller size downspout.