Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default robust labelling system?

williamwright wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Where the "normal" D1 tapes do flake off sooner or later (even indoors)

Mine don't ever fall off. If fact you can't get the bloody things off
sometimes.

Depends whether you use the normal, nylon or polyester labels. When
applied as cable flags, the normal stuff falls off in a few weeks in
data centres, then blows around inside the racks, it does last better
when stuck on a flat surface, so now I make sure to use the nylon or
polyester ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SH" wrote in message
On 22/03/2021 00:56, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 23:02:50 +0000, SH wrote:

I like that idea....

1 vs 2 vs 3 drilled holes for year rotation and then white, red, green
and blue for strawberry plant breed.....

Two holes and coloured cord in each. Ten colours and you have 100
combinations.

Cord: black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, grey,
white.

Or just one hole and 4 colors for the 4 varietys he has.

but I need to indicate how old the strawberry plant is as I discard after
3 years......

The idea is that with 45 buckets, 15 are 1st year, 15 are 2nd year and 15
are third year......

OK, then one hole for the variety and the other for the planting year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:54:55 PM UTC, SH wrote:
On 21/03/2021 10:40, jkn wrote:
On Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 8:27:40 PM UTC, SH wrote:
On 20/03/2021 20:26, SH wrote:
Right...

I grow strawberries in a greenhouse. I use 14 litre builders buckets
with drainage holes drilled into the bottom.

I have 45 said buckets in a greenhouse with an automatic fertigation
system.

Last year I had Elsanta strawberries.

This year I now have 4 varieties, Honoeye, Cambridge gold and Florence
as well as the aforementioned Elsanta as some crop earlier and some crop
later to widen out the harvest season.

Now I also grow new strawberry plants every year from the stolons from
the current plants.
I throw strawberry plants in the compost bin after 3 years (fruit yield
is poor thereafter so all strawberry plants are always 3 years old or
younger.)

Separate to your query, but since you seem to know your strawberries...

I have a couple of strawberry beds and have been a bit lax about cutting
off runners etc. I am about to tidy things up; is it worth clearing out the
older plants and letting the new ones formed from runners grow on; or should
I clear the whole lot out?

Thanks for your advice
J^n

I grow new plants from the stolons (the correct name for runners).

I fill a pot with compost and use an elastic band to hold the plantlet
through the compost through the holes in bottom of the pot.

DO NOT CUT OFF from the mother plant yet, water and wait at least 2
weeks for the plantlet to take root. If the pot is smallishm you will
see some new roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.

Then and only then cut the stolon off at both ends (between mother plant
and new established "baby" strawberry plant.

Once the mother plant is more than 3 years old, bin it it will no longer
be a good cropper.

Then the new strawberry plant then gets transplanted into one of my
black buckets thats just been vacated by a departed geriatric plant.....

Thanks, that's useful. As I said, I have been lazy, so I have beds full of
both old and new plants. This weekend I have cleared things a bit,
sorted the plants into 'old and matted' and 'younger - maybe from stolons',
and replanted the latter, with some new compost.

I keep meaning to do the 'nurture in a small pot, then separate' exercise you
suggest, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe this year...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:59 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 02:59:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

02:59? Is your senility not letting you sleep in again? Or is it your
unbearable loneliness, you cantankerous pest?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2021 20:26, SH wrote:
[...]

If you are growing outside, they need feeding with a strawberry
fertilser weekly, if grown in a greenhouse, feed TWICE weekly.

Always try and keep the strawberries OFF the soil. a bed of straw or
similar helps with that.

I normally harvest my new plantlets from the stolons once the fruiting
season has finished which is usually July.

Then before winter, you literally mow your strawberry bed with a lawn
mower or cut off in pots/buckets with secateurs.

(The current years foliage always dies off and turns brown, the pruning
is to protect the crown from any disease starting in the dying off leaves)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 23:02:50 +0000, SH wrote:

I like that idea....

1 vs 2 vs 3 drilled holes for year rotation and then white, red, green
and blue for strawberry plant breed.....

Two holes and coloured cord in each. Ten colours and you have 100
combinations.

Cord: black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, grey,
white.

Or just one hole and 4 colors for the 4 varietys he has.

but I need to indicate how old the strawberry plant is as I discard
after 3 years......

The idea is that with 45 buckets, 15 are 1st year, 15 are 2nd year and
15 are third year......

S.

3 holes in each, LH is year 1, centre year 2, RH year 3. And four
colours, one for each variety.

Them solar panels are very robust Artic[_2_] UK diy 21 September 21st 13 06:11 PM
Looking for big, robust, plastic cantilever toolbox (like this but bigger) [email protected] UK diy 20 March 18th 13 01:26 PM
Consumer Unit labelling graphics Richard Russell UK diy 17 March 23rd 09 03:41 PM
Robust Tools Lathes woods Woodturning 21 December 30th 06 03:53 PM
Labelling wires inside a circuit breaker box Smarty Home Repair 13 November 27th 06 10:57 PM