Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for big, robust, plastic cantilever toolbox (like this but bigger)

I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

Have you looked at the "FatMax" versions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

Have you looked at the "FatMax" versions?

I have a 'wheelie' FatMax which I quite like but it's too big to pop
in the back of the car easily and can't be carried easily. Are there
cantilever type, smaller, FatMax toolboxes? (I'll take a look anyway)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

Have you looked at the "FatMax" versions?

I have a 'wheelie' FatMax which I quite like but it's too big to pop
in the back of the car easily and can't be carried easily. Are there
cantilever type, smaller, FatMax toolboxes? (I'll take a look anyway)

Not as far as I can see. As I said I have a big "Fatmax Rolling
Cantilever Workshop" which is OK, in fact very good, but is far too
big to hump up and down stairs and is awkward to lift into the back of
the car single-handed. I'm looking for something somewhere in
between.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I went to every DIY store I knew to get a tool box for my last apprentice.
I did not need to ask here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:57:29 -0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

wrote in message ...
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I went to every DIY store I knew to get a tool box for my last apprentice.
I did not need to ask here.

Lobody hell! - you're harsher than Adam!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2013 19:57, Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote in message ...
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I went to every DIY store I knew to get a tool box for my last apprentice.

Sounds like a fair swap ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2013 19:25, wrote:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

I looked at those in B&Q the other day & thought it really flimsy.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

Machine Mart?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 17/03/2013 19:25, wrote:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

I looked at those in B&Q the other day & thought it really flimsy.

Yes, it's not incredibly robust but it is *very* practical to use. It
opens out so that the lid rests on the ground and you can access all
the contents at the same time.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

Machine Mart?

I've looked there and can't really see anything like I'm looking for.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2013 19:25, wrote:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I liked my first one of these so much that I bought that I bought a
second one. Not a cantilever, but the removable "small stuff" lid works
very well, IME. There's a trap hazard if you pick the handle up wrong,
but you only do that once.

ISTR that it's now cheaper from one of the other "usual suspects".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-1975...3553095&sr=8-1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 17/03/2013 19:25, wrote:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I liked my first one of these so much that I bought that I bought a
second one. Not a cantilever, but the removable "small stuff" lid works
very well, IME. There's a trap hazard if you pick the handle up wrong,
but you only do that once.

ISTR that it's now cheaper from one of the other "usual suspects".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-1975...3553095&sr=8-1

Not exactly the same, it's not a cantilever type is it?

Yes, I know the 'Halfords' one is available in several (often slightly
differently coloured) guises. I just showed the Halfords one because
it's easy to find.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2013 20:49, newshound wrote:
On 17/03/2013 19:25, wrote:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I liked my first one of these so much that I bought that I bought a
second one. Not a cantilever, but the removable "small stuff" lid works
very well, IME. There's a trap hazard if you pick the handle up wrong,
but you only do that once.

ISTR that it's now cheaper from one of the other "usual suspects".

Wickes have them for £20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-1975...3553095&sr=8-1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2013 19:25, wrote:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I liked my first one of these so much that I bought that I bought a
second one. Not a cantilever, but the removable "small stuff" lid works
very well, IME. There's a trap hazard if you pick the handle up wrong,
but you only do that once.

ISTR that it's now cheaper from one of the other "usual suspects".

Wickes have them for £20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-1975...3553095&sr=8-1

I knew I had seen them somewhere! There used to be some quite tough
plastic cantilever boxes made in smaller sizes but my experience with
larger ones is that the struts are not robust enough. They tend to have
moulded pins now instead of proper metal ones. I keep a couple of the
multi-partition parts boxes in the bottom of my Stanleys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:25:51 +0000, tinnews wrote:

I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductDisplay?

storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=202885&catalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like something
a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a "carry it with
your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

You might also look in shops that do angling equipment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:25:51 +0000, tinnews wrote:

I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductDisplay?

storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=202885&catalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like something
a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a "carry it with
your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

You might also look in shops that do angling equipment.

Yes, I've found a few possibles by following that line but they tend
to be smaller and lighter rather than bigger and more robust. I will
pursue it though.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductDisplay?st
oreId=10001&langId=-1&productId=202885&catalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I use a Raaco Compact, which has a clever design that I find much more
flexible and convenient than a cantilever because you can leave it open
without taking up a lot of space, and the moveable internal dividers are
good.

Read the range description he http://www.raaco.com/Compact-1597.aspx

I have a Compact 37 which is a bit bigger than your favourite, and they
come a lot bigger than that if you want. See the full range he

http://www.raaco.com/Product_list-11...oxes%20Compact

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2013 08:30, Mike Barnes wrote:
:
[...]

Agreed, these are very robust. I also have a couple of the big boxes
with wheels at one end and a pull out handle. Just about luggable with
the handle; doesn't meet your "spec" but good for storage in garage /
workshop as you can stack smaller toolboxes on top of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
:
[...]

I think this illustration (from the Raaco site) shows what I feel is
wrong with boxes like this with a tote tray:-

http://www.raaco.com/productsdetails...oxes%20Compact

Look at the last image, tote tray balanced on top of box, can't get
into box, tote tray is wobbly. If you put the tote tray on the ground
it's further away (I'm geting old) and I always manage to kick it.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductDisplay?st
oreId=10001&langId=-1&productId=202885&catalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I use a Raaco Compact, which has a clever design that I find much more
flexible and convenient than a cantilever because you can leave it open
without taking up a lot of space, and the moveable internal dividers are
good.

.... but where do you put the tote tray when you lift it out? The rest
sounds quite good though, I'll take a longer look.

The big advantage of the plastic cantilever above (to my mind) is that
you open it and that's it, *everything* is accessible.

The huge FatMax rolling cantilever is quite clever too, it has a tote
tray but it sits neatly on the opened lid of the top box. Again you
can open the thing out, lift out the tote tray onto the lid and
*everything* is accessible.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

:
Mike Barnes wrote:
:
I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductDisplay?st
oreId=10001&langId=-1&productId=202885&catalogId=10151

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

I use a Raaco Compact, which has a clever design that I find much more
flexible and convenient than a cantilever because you can leave it open
without taking up a lot of space, and the moveable internal dividers are
good.

... but where do you put the tote tray when you lift it out? The rest
sounds quite good though, I'll take a longer look.

At worst I put it right alongside the main box, in which case g it
takes up not much more space than a cantilever. If really tight for
space I perch it on the box at 90 degrees, which allows reasonable
access.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* *http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ctDisplay?stor...

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like
something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. *It must be a
"carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

--
Chris Green

Not quite the same pattern as the one you've linked, but Keter do
several including:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/keter-22...x/211-7228.prd

http://www.keter.com/products/canti-trio-org/

And Draper do this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-5180-.../dp/B005WJQ46S

Installing road wheels on MtB with direct-pull cantilever conversion brackets Gordon Babbitt Metalworking 3 January 25th 12 02:58 AM
*** Get a Pen*s Bigger than King K0ng's! Get Bigger Bre@sts! Cool Toys! Cheap MP3 Players! *** oego1og Home Repair 1 January 13th 07 05:19 PM
Robust Tools Lathes woods Woodturning 21 December 30th 06 03:53 PM
anyone have concrete cantilever pool deck?? shawn Home Repair 0 November 13th 06 04:37 AM
Repair damaged cantilever supports? Joe S Home Repair 7 March 8th 06 08:13 AM